Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Leaf Springs squeak

Old 06-06-2009, 08:19 AM   #1
Barry J will become famous soon enoughBarry J will become famous soon enough

Barry J's Tacoma Gallery
Leaf Springs squeak

I have a 2008 with Off road package, and have the common leaf spring squeak. It's pretty bad, of course the day I went to the dealership, it was raining, so they just "greased/lubed" the springs.
Now, a week later, it's just as bad, maybe worse, since I now drive with the windows open.
I've read all the post about the TSBs and cutting up a bicycle tube and slipping them into the springs.
But, since it is still under warranty, I would like the dealership to fix it, instead of the tube trick.
But, being a 2008.....is there a TSB I could refer to when bringing it in???
The one about the "rough ride" does not mention the 2008 model.
Can anybody offer some advice??
Thanks
Barry
Old 06-06-2009, 08:25 AM   #2
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
The TSB for the rear leafs should include yours as well. I would look into it a little more because I'm pretty sure theres people on here with 08's that have had the rear TSB done.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:37 AM   #4
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Yeah mine squeak like hell and I've never really taken my off in the mud yet. Gonna have to clean them eventually
Old 06-06-2009, 09:45 AM   #5
badguybuster is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadguybuster is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadguybuster is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadguybuster is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadguybuster is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadguybuster is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadguybuster is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadguybuster is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadguybuster is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadguybuster is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadguybuster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police (95B)
badguybuster's Tacoma Gallery
Well, I have an 06 Sport that has squeaked since day 1. I have gone so far as to take the entire leaf pack apart and grease it with white lithium grease which helped BUT I still get the noise when I hit any roadway that is not perfectly smooth. I have tried the power washing, the WD40, and I even drove up a small creek hoping that the water would work it's way into the springs. Nothing helped. I am just gonna replace'em.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:30 AM   #6
j4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Jay
j4x4ar3's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 05 and only the the past few months have the rear springs started to squeek like crazy. Even getting in the truck makes them squeek. There's no way at this point with 88,000 miles on the truck and being out of warrenty that doing a TSB will fly with Toyota.

Anyone got direct links to the threads for other solutions? I've already tried grease and no luck. Yes I searched but stuff is all over the board.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:38 PM   #7
My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!
rmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Ryan
rmb_crew's Tacoma Gallery
My 09 squeaks a lot. I have the TSB done also. But mine is just from going mudding and stuff. I just get the hose and shoot water on them and it makes it better. WD-40 should do the trick you just have to keep re applying it.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:49 PM   #9
rmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
yeah so will any type of lubricant or grease. So either way your going to get dirty and stuff no matter what.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:53 PM   #10
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
Spray the pads between the leafs with silicone lubricant. (silicone does not attract much dirt)

Use a flat screwdriver to separate the leafs so that the spray will cover the pads.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:05 PM   #12
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
spray em with the pressure washer then get some good lube in there, either triflow or white lithium grease
Old 06-06-2009, 03:16 PM   #13
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
+1 on silicon, much better than WD40. I use it throughout my house as well, bike chains, ect.

I have an '08 TRD Off-Road Pre-Runner and got the TSB done no issue, I believe it's actually listed for 08's now as well so it shouldn't be a problem. I've yet to have squeaking but... I only have 21k on the ODO.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:17 PM   #14
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
It has been about 3 months since my last silicone spray and the squeak has not come back yet.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:47 PM   #15
Big Island
chrisdculp1@Yahoo.com is on a distinguished road
chrisdculp1@Yahoo.com's Tacoma Gallery
tsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J View Post
I have a 2008 with Off road package, and have the common leaf spring squeak. It's pretty bad, of course the day I went to the dealership, it was raining, so they just "greased/lubed" the springs.
Now, a week later, it's just as bad, maybe worse, since I now drive with the windows open.
I've read all the post about the TSBs and cutting up a bicycle tube and slipping them into the springs.
But, since it is still under warranty, I would like the dealership to fix it, instead of the tube trick.
But, being a 2008.....is there a TSB I could refer to when bringing it in???
The one about the "rough ride" does not mention the 2008 model.
Can anybody offer some advice??
Thanks
Barry
had new leafs put on by the dealer and it made a huge differance. It was all cover buy the TSB
Old 06-28-2009, 05:53 PM   #16
Barry J will become famous soon enoughBarry J will become famous soon enough

Barry J's Tacoma Gallery
But, isn't the TSB for "bottoming out" and not for squeaks???? Mine squeaks but I have not noticed any bottoming out yet, but I have yet to haul anything heavy.
Will the stealership still do the TSB???
What should I tell them???
Thanks
Barry
Old 06-28-2009, 06:24 PM   #17

Navy:
I found out that using tire shine works great for making the squekyness go away.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:27 PM   #18
Begin With The End In Mind.
carmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: KEVIN
carmellocafe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakleyTRD View Post
Have you been mudding lately?

Edit: I have an 08 with TSB springs, the squeaking is most likely dirt in between the leafs, get under there pressure wash the hell out of them then hit them with enough WD40 to drown a hamster. repeat this process every 3 months or so
That's what I do. Works like a charm.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:35 PM   #19
awwmann has a spectacular aura aboutawwmann has a spectacular aura aboutawwmann has a spectacular aura about
Name: pat
awwmann's Tacoma Gallery
mine was squeaking from day 1 went to the dealer about 6 months ago theres a tsb for squeaking they put some kind of pads between the leafs mine havnt squeaked since its in the body shop when it comes out ill try to get a pick of the pads
Old 06-28-2009, 06:47 PM   #20
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by briangp View Post
Yeah mine squeak like hell and I've never really taken my off in the mud yet. Gonna have to clean them eventually

I'm in the same boat as you................all my driving is on frwy and paved streets..............welcome to LA............anyway I know I get some road dust but not that much.............I had a 2000 trd prerunner that never went in the dirt,and was driven just like my driving habits are now and it never made a sound................what did Toyota change in 2005 that is making these trucks sqeak so much?