Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Cheap DIY license plate screw hole covers

Old 06-06-2009, 03:00 PM   #1
needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....
jefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sex Panther
jefferson's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jefferson
Cheap DIY license plate screw hole covers

I am not a fan of a front license plate on my Tacoma, but I hate the screw holes it left just as much. I decided to give this a shot.. still not sure if I really like it all that much, but it is an option. It is illegal in California to not have a front license plate… but cops in San Diego have better things to worry about.. I’ve had mine off for about 2 years without a problem *knocks on wood* so, do it to your own risk…

This is the item I found in a pep boys. About $1.95 I believe.

Then get ahold of some touch-up paint from the dealer. It cost about $9.00 or so

Lay them out..

And paint using the fingernail like paint brush.. obviously not the ballpoint pen cap part..

Let that dry (and use a few coats of paint), then install the mounting hardware

And then your caps.

I think the ending result is pretty nice.. and if I don’t like it, it only cost about $12 total.

Old 06-06-2009, 03:02 PM   #2
Rangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant future

Army: 75th Ranger Regiment
Rangerpeterson's Tacoma Gallery
Your truck bumper has nipples now.... lol
Just kidding it actually looks much better... bravo
Old 06-06-2009, 03:03 PM   #3
jefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerpeterson View Post
Your truck bumper has nipples now.... lol
Just kidding it actually looks much better... bravo
you read my mind..! that's why i'm thinking, "Eh, i comes off if i don't like it"
Old 06-06-2009, 04:29 PM   #4
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
check out OSH for 1/4" plugs. they come in white and a light tan color. i had to drill out the holes to 1/4", but they popped in perfect, and matched my white truck perfectly. there is only a slight bump when installed. sorry no pics, but if you search around here or TN you'll find the original post w/ part numbers and everything..
Old 06-11-2009, 08:52 AM   #6
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by unholycumulus View Post
i'm gonna bump my own thread cause i decided i like the way it looks
IE...."everyone look at me, im cool..."

its all about the tits!!
Old 06-11-2009, 09:00 AM   #8
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
There are small plastic flat plugs that you can get at Lowes or HD that you push into small holes. They would be perfect to paint and cover the holes and would not stick out at all, as they would be virtually flush with the bumper.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pster View Post
There are small plastic flat plugs that you can get at Lowes or HD that you push into small holes. They would be perfect to paint and cover the holes and would not stick out at all, as they would be virtually flush with the bumper.
yah, that other guy said that.. i'm gonna go over and see if i can find a set and probably replace them with those.. BUT this way is pretty undetectable, which is what i was shooting for
Old 06-11-2009, 10:40 AM   #11
TrdPETE is on a distinguished road

TrdPETE's Tacoma Gallery
I just got a ticket for no front plate last night in Honolulu. $70. Not even a warning. I drove all of my cars for the past 10 years at least without a plate up front.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrdPETE View Post
I just got a ticket for no front plate last night in Honolulu. $70. Not even a warning. I drove all of my cars for the past 10 years at least without a plate up front.
ah lame. dont the cops hang loose too?
Old 06-11-2009, 10:57 AM   #13
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Looks really good! I was thinking about doing the same thing because it is illegal here in NV as well not to have a front license plate unless you car came factory without holes, then its okay not to have a front plate. But it doesn't matter to me because I know all the cops in town anyways. The only thing that sucks is having my front license plate on there for a few years, it fuc--- up my paint job on the front bumper so I just left the plate on there!!! Any one else have the same problem with the paint getting messed up from the front license plate?
Old 06-11-2009, 11:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
Looks really good! I was thinking about doing the same thing because it is illegal here in NV as well not to have a front license plate unless you car came factory without holes, then its okay not to have a front plate. But it doesn't matter to me because I know all the cops in town anyways. The only thing that sucks is having my front license plate on there for a few years, it fuc--- up my paint job on the front bumper so I just left the plate on there!!! Any one else have the same problem with the paint getting messed up from the front license plate?
I had the bottom of the license plate start to scratch the bumper.. so i bent the plate up a bit and it worked.. then i hated it so.. here we are.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:58 AM   #15
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I had the bottom of the license plate start to scratch the bumper.. so i bent the plate up a bit and it worked.. then i hated it so.. here we are.
Got yah. Yeah I don't think I am going to worry about taking the front plate off. I live in a smaller town so when I go into Salt Lake City every once in a while to do some shopping, with my luck, some SLC cop will pull me over for not having a front plate!
Old 06-11-2009, 12:12 PM   #16
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yah, that other guy said that.. i'm gonna go over and see if i can find a set and probably replace them with those.. BUT this way is pretty undetectable, which is what i was shooting for
Check these out......
http://images.rockler.com/rockler/im...851-01-200.jpg
Old 06-11-2009, 12:16 PM   #17
Betty White Edition Heep ZJ
jonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jonny's Tacoma Gallery
just go to lowes and get the plactic push fasteners. they don't stick out like nipples...lol they are like 45 cents each. then paint them.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:42 PM   #19
Betty White Edition Heep ZJ
jonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jonny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
They dont ruin the screw holes?
mine didn't. they have diff sizes. you should check them out since you already have the colormatch paint
Old 06-11-2009, 01:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnysrt2004 View Post
mine didn't. they have diff sizes. you should check them out since you already have the colormatch paint
Oh yah, i'll do that and fix this post so i dont look (more) like a jackass