Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How long do your brakes last?

View Poll Results: How many miles were on your original set of brake pads?
under 10,000 12 1.45%
11,000-30,000 36 4.34%
31,000-40,000 48 5.79%
41,000-50,000 66 7.96%
51,000-60,000 68 8.20%
61,000-70,000 49 5.91%
71,000-80,000 35 4.22%
81,000-90,000 31 3.74%
above 91,000 63 7.60%
I haven't replaced them yet, specified below. 421 50.78%
Voters: 829. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-07-2009, 09:12 PM   #21
09 but I drive a 012 Expedition...
tacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff...I'm pretty sure
tacoholic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacoholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekabraham View Post
Yeah. Mine are squeaking right now, probably because I abuse them.

But I figure I might as well upgrade them either way.

They still have plenty of life though. They could go way past 40,000, I just feel like an upgrade.
Or cause you don't clean them. Dirty boy.
Carbon-ceramic FTW!
Old 06-07-2009, 09:15 PM   #22
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah. Mine are squeaking right now, probably because I abuse them.

But I figure I might as well upgrade them either way.

They still have plenty of life though. They could go way past 40,000, I just feel like an upgrade.
If you don't already know about it, http://www.raceshopper.com/ is a great place to get replacement pads/rotors.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:58 PM   #23
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoholic View Post
Or cause you don't clean them. Dirty boy.
Carbon-ceramic FTW!
I clean them extensively! I just need something bigger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afd23a View Post
If you don't already know about it, http://www.raceshopper.com/ is a great place to get replacement pads/rotors.

Thank you!
Old 06-07-2009, 11:21 PM   #24
tacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I clean them extensively! I just need something bigger!
OHHHHHH!!! Huge drilled/slotted carbon-ceramic brakes FTW!
Old 06-07-2009, 11:41 PM   #25
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Yessss.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:35 AM   #26
Do Work Son!
rossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rossk35's Tacoma Gallery
30k and they are about half way worn. Mine squeaks at slow speeds which it has always done, and one of my rotors is warped a little which has been since the truck was fairly new cause it shacks at certain times but not always so idk lol.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:00 AM   #28
Cap is on a distinguished road

Cap's Tacoma Gallery
My reply was for my late 1998 OR Access Cab - she had just over 100,000 miles before the brakes needed to be replaced. That Taco was a manual transmission, and I did a lot of downshifting while slowing down.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:59 AM   #30
bobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bobwilson1977's Tacoma Gallery
The front pads on mine got for about 60,000 before I have to replace them. But the rear drums are the originals, thus have 220,000 on them. Makes me think the drums barely do any braking period. The fronts are easy to replace. Takes me 20 minutes or less.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:48 AM   #31
Betty White Edition Heep ZJ
jonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jonny's Tacoma Gallery
turned 17k. they are fine..
Old 06-08-2009, 09:10 AM   #32
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I am going to change mine at 35,000-40,000.
I plan on doing the same (I'm at 25K now). I want to go to slotted rotors, better pads (Hawk), and ss lines. I'm not as concerned about longevity, more interested in performance.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:59 PM   #34

Sweet deal!
Old 06-09-2009, 09:51 PM   #35
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwilson1977 View Post
The front pads on mine got for about 60,000 before I have to replace them. But the rear drums are the originals, thus have 220,000 on them. Makes me think the drums barely do any braking period. The fronts are easy to replace. Takes me 20 minutes or less.
Talked to a guy at a bar that works at a factory that makes brake drums. He said they should last the lifetime of the car and never have to be machined. The front discs handle the majority of the stopping power.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:21 AM   #36
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
I'm sitting at 21k now... I need to check as they squeak bad, but there is probably still dirt stuck in there causing it. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm about due though, I abuse the hell out of them.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:25 AM   #37
Sticks For Troops
AFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: (2T2X1)Air Force Rigger
Name: "Butters"
AFButters's Tacoma Gallery
truck is an 09.. only got 8k miles.. ill replace them when my little toyota booklet says too
Old 06-10-2009, 01:32 AM   #38
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09AFTacoma View Post
truck is an 09.. only got 8k miles.. ill replace them when my little toyota booklet says too
I wouldn't trust an arbitrary number in a book to the safety of properly working breaks. When they're up for new pads, they're up. Even if it's at 15k, or 120k. It depends on how you use the vehicle, hard stops, towing, ect...
Old 06-10-2009, 07:04 AM   #39
FL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
FL Forester's Tacoma Gallery
I am at 52,000 miles right now. I will replace them when they start to squeal.