Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How long do your brakes last?

View Poll Results: How many miles were on your original set of brake pads?
under 10,000 12 1.45%
11,000-30,000 36 4.34%
31,000-40,000 48 5.79%
41,000-50,000 66 7.96%
51,000-60,000 68 8.20%
61,000-70,000 49 5.91%
71,000-80,000 35 4.22%
81,000-90,000 31 3.74%
above 91,000 63 7.60%
I haven't replaced them yet, specified below. 421 50.78%
Voters: 829. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-10-2009, 08:36 AM   #41
09 but I drive a 012 Expedition...
tacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff...I'm pretty sure
tacoholic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacoholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyouto42 View Post
I wouldn't trust an arbitrary number in a book to the safety of properly working breaks. When they're up for new pads, they're up. Even if it's at 15k, or 120k. It depends on how you use the vehicle, hard stops, towing, ect...
Crap...I totally forgot about conditions...
Oh well. Thanks for the info guys!
Old 06-13-2009, 04:21 PM   #42
I AM THE GREAT CHACHOLIO!!!
TheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud of

Name: Brian
TheTacoManChach's Tacoma Gallery
10 to 15 minutes unless they piss me off then god only knows how long
Old 06-13-2009, 07:45 PM   #43
tacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTacoManChach View Post
10 to 15 minutes unless they piss me off then god only knows how long

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoridinhigh View Post
30K and still going strong, I have noticed a slight decrease in stopping power but not much. That is they've been having to stop 35's too, so I would imagine that makes them wear even quicker.
Cool, I'd imagine stopping bigger tires causes more strain, bigger rotational mass.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:49 PM   #44
4milestogo is a jewel in the rough4milestogo is a jewel in the rough4milestogo is a jewel in the rough

4milestogo's Tacoma Gallery
I've got almost 93k on mine, but I will need to replace inside of 15k
Old 08-09-2009, 06:55 PM   #45
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
My Neon's front brakes were replaced at about 130,000 miles. The brake guy said I probably had used up about half the life of the rear shoes at that point, and should look to replace them at about 250,000 miles.

And I'd still be going, too, if it wasn't for that damned deer.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:07 PM   #46
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
I never had too. MY old dakota had only 75k on it when i sold it after 8 years. Hope the next oner did, they never were that good.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:15 PM   #47
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Talked to a guy at a bar that works at a factory that makes brake drums. He said they should last the lifetime of the car
Man, wouldn't that be nice. Truth is, with today's new brake systems with VSC and EBD the rear brakes are being used with more frequency. I would definitely check the rear drums on a consistent basis with a scheduled service.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:19 PM   #48
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I coast when reasonable to red lights ,and avoid rapid slowdowns, not always possible. But those 2 can really extend brake life.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:39 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4milestogo View Post
I've got almost 93k on mine, but I will need to replace inside of 15k
Nice, nice...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
My Neon's front brakes were replaced at about 130,000 miles. The brake guy said I probably had used up about half the life of the rear shoes at that point, and should look to replace them at about 250,000 miles.

And I'd still be going, too, if it wasn't for that damned deer.
Dodge+deer=no more Dodge
Old 08-09-2009, 09:40 PM   #50
Begin With The End In Mind.
carmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: KEVIN
carmellocafe's Tacoma Gallery
41k...No need for replacing them right now.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:32 PM   #51
senile member

....yea, but you get a free set of antlers ,right?lol
Old 08-10-2009, 05:32 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoyota View Post
....yea, but you get a free set of antlers ,right?lol
One would assume. But remember if you assume, it just makes an ASS out of U and ME.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:53 PM   #53
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
I have replaced mine 2 times. I get about 40-50k on brakes. I tow a boat. I have never changed my rear brakes.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:57 PM   #54
senile member

My luck it'll be an elk i hit someday, looks like their belly should glide right over my hood and into the cab
Old 08-10-2009, 07:24 PM   #55
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoholic View Post
Nice, nice...

Dodge+deer=no more Dodge
Plymouth, actually.

And, the damage, hitting it at "around" 70 mph (no warning), was: Headlamp housing and turn signal housing on driver's side were obliterated; driver's fender and hood were crunched back; Driver's side of radiator closure panel was pushed back; radiator and fans were damaged beyond repair. Airbags deployed, door windows blew out (from airbag pressure).

It's fixable, but I'm going to sell it to someone else, probably someone in the autocrossing groups around here, who wants to fix it up.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:31 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
Plymouth, actually.

And, the damage, hitting it at "around" 70 mph (no warning), was: Headlamp housing and turn signal housing on driver's side were obliterated; driver's fender and hood were crunched back; Driver's side of radiator closure panel was pushed back; radiator and fans were damaged beyond repair. Airbags deployed, door windows blew out (from airbag pressure).

It's fixable, but I'm going to sell it to someone else, probably someone in the autocrossing groups around here, who wants to fix it up.
I would've totalled it...how old is that thing if it's a Plymouth???
Old 08-25-2009, 04:29 AM   #57
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
I currently have 38K on my truck, and the brakes are in good shape - especially when you consider how much I tow stuff. I am looking to probably upgrade them next year. Maybe go with rotor rears???
Old 08-25-2009, 05:13 AM   #58
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
gupster88's Tacoma Gallery
28k and still running good
Old 08-25-2009, 09:30 AM   #59
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
First set of fronts at 56k, now at 78k fronts are fine and worn through the rear shoes. Had been meaning to pull the drums and check, but lost the brakes this weekend due to a failed rear wheel cylinder. Drum is shot because the grooves are worn so deep.

Solution...coverting to rear disc brakes.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:15 AM   #60
WildcaTaco is on a distinguished road
WildcaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
My fronts are looking like they need to get replaced, any advice on some good replacements?