1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Break In Period

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by burby29, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Dec 14, 2006 at 8:27 PM
    burby29

burby29 [OP] Member

Member:
    Hey guys... have a quick question on the break-in on my new 07 Taco. Guy at the dealer said not to take it over 65 mph until 500 miles. This seems a bit excessive seeing as I have to drive this thing to work. The manual has some common sense type things such as no towing, jackrabbit starts, engine racing, etc. during the break-in period. What do you guys think?

2. Dec 14, 2006 at 9:40 PM
    dendur

dendur Member

Member:
    Just a note here. When your truck rolled out of the factor, the engine has already been broke in and the brake-in oil has been drained and filled with fresh oil, they do this before the engine is installed into the vehicle, thats what I have been told and showen when I did a plant tour last year as part of my job as a sevice advisor at a Toyota dealership here in Canada.

3. Dec 14, 2006 at 10:10 PM
    burby29

burby29 [OP] Member

Member:
    My father had told me the same thing. Thanks for the reponse.

4. Dec 15, 2006 at 2:51 AM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    The only thing it says in the manual is to avoid full throttle acceleration until 1000 mi.

5. Dec 15, 2006 at 5:34 AM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    For the sake of love an joy ;) , be a little more patient. :playball:

6. Dec 17, 2006 at 2:32 PM
    archer of loaf

archer of loaf Well-Known Member

Member:
    just drive it as you would... no towing as you said for the first bit.

7. Dec 18, 2006 at 4:19 PM
    Ldytaco05

Ldytaco05 it's all about me

Member:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner,Enkei Wheels
    my honey told me the same thing i guess that's why i never have any issues with my diva truck, well i need to purchase new tires.

8. Dec 22, 2006 at 2:06 PM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Nice 6spd,V6, very solid truck
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    The above advice is true, they just don't want you over revving the engine or lugging it, when its new and not broken in. My book(06) says not to tow anything for the first 500 and generally just don't over due it. Keep an eye out for leaks of any kind and frequently check your engine oil and trans oil(automatic) for a month or so to get a base line on how much or little fluids your engine uses, more than likely the latter.
    A small amount of oil use is acceptable, in the "old days" a quart of oil every 500-1000 miles was OK , today thats not a reality at all.
    I just did my oil at 2200 miles and it had not used even a half quart. I would suspect that one quart per 4000- 5000 miles is more the norm.

9. Dec 23, 2006 at 6:49 AM
    Mr_CNC

Mr_CNC Member

Member:
    A quart of oil every 4000 to 5000 miles? Is this common for Toyota? I drove a '93 ford ranger 206k, and that little gem NEVER used a drop of oil. My wife drives an '02 jeep liberty with about 55k miles on it...it NEVER uses a drop of oil. The '94 chevy cavalier she drove before that had 110k miles on and NEVER used a drop. If my '06 taco (which just rolled 4.5k) is using that much oil, and the dealer says it's "normal", I won't drive that truck long or any other toyota for that matter.

Just my .02

10. Dec 23, 2006 at 11:49 AM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    Not sure if thats common in a Taco, Mr. CNC but I sure won't find out as my oil will never go that long. Just reporting what a number of automotove shows agree on, that if you checked numerous cars in a gas station, lots of them would be a quart down with 4,5,6K into the oil change, just due to normal wear and the normal leaks .

I would definately like to hear from Taco owners who do run there trucks into the 6K range before changing the oil, especially ones who have some high mileage.
    Hopefully, if I am way off base, and if so my mea culpa.

11. Dec 23, 2006 at 3:29 PM
    Mr_CNC

Mr_CNC Member

Member:
    Well Jeff, this is my first time letting an engine go past the 3k miles limit myself. I was pretty uneasy about it, the owners manual stated 5k, and I had a looong chat with a dealership mechanic (who happens to be a friend of mine) and was convinced that going 5k is alright. For the record, I have the 2TRFE I-4. Based on what I was told, the I-4 thats being used in the Taco is not a new engine for Toyota. I guess it's been around Asia for some time, and has proven to be a work horse little motor. Toyota basically tossed on a 'puter, new intake, and a VVT-i system and called it wonderful. Oh BTW...I just checked the oil level, and it's right on the mark. No loss.

Mr_CNC

12. Dec 24, 2006 at 8:30 AM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    I really would not have any problem letting an oil change go beyond the 3k mark. Now, I know that Toyota suggests 5k changes. Most TV and radio car shows that I listen to and watch suggest early oil and filter changes, as many owners stretch them to 7,8K or more. This is not the average TW viewer, who for the most part take very good care of their trucks and love to do it.
    My two friends who were of great influence when I went shopping for my first truck, do their oil every 3K, as they have a nice garage to work out of. They also have used Castrol GT oil forever and by it by the ton when it comes on sale at our local K-Mart or WalMart. We have discussed synthetics also but this only applys if you are not going to change at every 3K, that is just a waste of money.
    I see nothing wrong with doing the oil between 3-5K, my oil at 2300, was barely dirty and I think it could have gone to at least 3.5k but I decided to get it out as I had won a gift cert to a very good local garage. So I bought my own Toyo filter and had them do it then.
    The I-4 is a very good and proven engine from what I have been able to learn and its true that in one form or another it has been around in Asia for a long time. You are correct in they tweaked it,with upgraded, 'puter,etc.
    I do have a neighbor who has the least expensive Taco truck with the 4cyl and manual and short cab. He is in to economy and longevity and does need the trk bed to deliver some things every now and then. Most trk's in my area of Mass. are V6's and auto's. When I was gassing up this am, there were two other taco's , a 4door and the access cab like mine. It was a fine sight to see.

I may visit my local dealer for the 5K warranty to establish a relationship but during the summer I plan to do the oil and other things myself or with my Taco buddy's.
    Its good that you have friend at the dealer as he will give you good advice and keep you informed on updates and recalls, if any.
    I am sure your current maint schedule will give your trk a very long life, as most of the TW members vehicles. I would bet that there a lot of trk and car owners who get excellent life with 5K oil changes.
    If I find that I can extend my oil to 4K and its still quite clean and you can see thru it, then I might do that also. As mine like yours is very new and never have had a Toyota of any kind, its just sort of wait and see.
    Keeping an eye on fluid levels is always good. This is the correct thing to do.

13. May 24, 2011 at 11:02 PM
    sonocotaco

sonocotaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ken
    Rohnert Park
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport AC 4x4 Super White
    I would.

14. May 24, 2011 at 11:23 PM
    cantac09

cantac09 Official TW Igloo Builder

Member:
    First Name:
    Hugh Jass
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    tundra
    stock
    you just revived a thread thats 5 years old.

15. May 24, 2011 at 11:34 PM
    norcal4banger

norcal4banger 11-98 MUD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Far Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2005 4 Cylinder 2WD 5 Lug RC Tacoma
  16. May 25, 2011 at 8:51 AM
    tacoriffic

tacoriffic Well-Known Member