Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

6spd and 4x4 question/problem

Old 06-09-2009, 03:27 PM   #21
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
Yeah, and if you check the link I provided, there has be conclusive proof that with how our front differentials engage, it's not necessary to put it into 4Hi/lo every month for 10 miles.

But do as you will. Kill your drive line.
So....in 5 or 10 years of NEVER using 4WD, the system is gonna be nice & lubricated and ready to operate as the day it left the factory?

I doubt it.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:48 PM   #22
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
So....in 5 or 10 years of NEVER using 4WD, the system is gonna be nice & lubricated and ready to operate as the day it left the factory?

I doubt it.

So....in 5 or 10 years of ALWAYS using 4WD, the system is gonna be nice & lubricated and ready to operate as the day it left the factory?

I doubt it.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:03 PM   #23
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So....in 5 or 10 years of ALWAYS using 4WD, the system is gonna be nice & lubricated and ready to operate as the day it left the factory?

I doubt it.
Umm...not exactly sure what your arguement is here.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:54 AM   #24
Disorderly is on a distinguished road
Disorderly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Aside from pointing us to another thread where a bunch of other people say they don't use 4wd every month, he don't have one.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:06 AM   #25
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
being as the front diff and transfer case is always turning in oil, there is no "need" to engauge it every month if not needed. I have only used 4wd in my Dodge a few times, and every time it has engauged just fine. Hell.....My military vehicles sit for months at a time, and always go right into 4wd without a hitch....
Old 06-11-2009, 09:46 AM   #26
gainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Radio Man
gainman's Tacoma Gallery
so why did you get 4x4 to begin with if you "dont live in alaska and dont offroad"? seems to me like its a hassle for you to have it, especially considering youll never use it?
Old 06-11-2009, 09:56 AM   #27
white91formula is on a distinguished road
white91formula's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gainman View Post
so why did you get 4x4 to begin with if you "dont live in alaska and dont offroad"? seems to me like its a hassle for you to have it, especially considering youll never use it?

i live in new england and need it in the winter with the snow...
Old 06-11-2009, 10:08 AM   #28
kxhansen is on a distinguished road
Name: Ken
kxhansen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gainman View Post
I might have gone with a 2wd, but it wasn't an optioin - it seems that the dbl cab is 4x4 only......
Old 06-11-2009, 11:55 AM   #29
jrws6 is a jewel in the roughjrws6 is a jewel in the roughjrws6 is a jewel in the roughjrws6 is a jewel in the rough

Army: 101st Airborne
Name: Jason
jrws6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
being as the front diff and transfer case is always turning in oil, there is no "need" to engauge it every month if not needed. I have only used 4wd in my Dodge a few times, and every time it has engauged just fine. Hell.....My military vehicles sit for months at a time, and always go right into 4wd without a hitch....
X2

Makes perfect sense to me.
To the OP, if you use your 4wd system in the winter that will be sufficent for you to know everything is in working order. IMHO that is part of the reason for toyota putting that nonsene in there about monthly use.
10 miles a moth my a$$, or what the steel transfer case that is always lubed and ready for me to engage 4wd is magicallly not going to work... I dont think so. My old f-150 and willys jeep hae been here since 1948, and 1980 still going strong. If they can I know this toyota can keep up. Also the jeep and the F150 have a "Suggested" top speed of 55mph or so. Me personal I have always been told to keep 4wd speeds reasonble. Highway traction and Highway speeds dont go good together.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:10 PM   #30
Aspiring wrench monkey
TacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of light

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kxhansen View Post
I might have gone with a 2wd, but it wasn't an optioin - it seems that the dbl cab is 4x4 only......
It's an option. You can only get the Pre-Runner in a double cab. The 4x2 truck that's not labeled a Pre-Runner doesn't come in double cab though... Perhaps you didn't look into the Pre-Runner?

Though I guess you couldn't have gotten a manual transmission, but I'm not sure why you'd want one if you live in the city.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:33 PM   #31
kxhansen is on a distinguished road
Name: Ken
kxhansen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoCo View Post
You can only get the Pre-Runner in a double cab. The 4x2 truck that's not labeled a Pre-Runner doesn't come in double cab though... Perhaps you didn't look into the Pre-Runner?

Though I guess you couldn't have gotten a manual transmission, but I'm not sure why you'd want one if you live in the city.
I believe that is correct that the pre-runner didn't have the manual option........I want a stick because I have basically driven a stick all my life and it is second nature to me.....If I am driving an automatic, I will sometimes start my hand down to shift before I catch myself......actually my wife says it should be illegal for me to drive an automatic <g>.....my wife and daughters hate when I drive their cars.

While Staten Island is part of NYC, in many ways it is more like the suburbs (although it seems like a Manhattan DOT guy must have been transferred here because every time you turn around they are putting in a new traffic light), so shifting isn't a big deal.......I don't even mind in Manhattan....the only time it's a pain is in true stop-n-go traffic when you are moving along at about 3 miles an hour.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:41 PM   #32
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It was, you're saying that using it every day will have the 4x4 engage and be nice and lubricated like it was the first day out of the factory?

Not so much.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:39 PM   #33
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It was, you're saying that using it every day will have the 4x4 engage and be nice and lubricated like it was the first day out of the factory?

Not so much.

I'm still not sure what you're saying.....

I said - If you buy a 4WD truck and NEVER engage the 4WD system for 5 or even 10 years..... will it still work?
And I'm saying - I doubt it will.

That's why the manual specifically recommends that you engage it atleast once a month.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:37 PM   #34
Master Jedi Member I am...
chad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Chad
chad68's Tacoma Gallery
Well this didn't really clarify much either way. I'm more confused than before I read this thread.

I ran on 4 hi on the freeway 55-60mph after the first 4 weeks after I bought it since the owners manual says to run 10 miles a month in 4WD. I turned back to 2 hi when I got off the freeway.

Reason I did this 10 mile thing on the freeway was because at first, when I was going to do my 10 miles, I noticed it felt really weird when I turned right out of my driveway. Felt like the front tire was flat. Also when I backed up out of a parking space. Felt like the parking brake was on.

Leads me to believe that doing 4 hi on the freeway (no turns) should be ok and that 10 miles a month is probablly overkill.

One thing I didn't see in the owners manual was for 4 lo and 4 hi.

Is 4 lo only suppose to be used in first gear? Would be my guess, since it's meant for really tight situations. What are the acceptable gears to use for 4 hi? Can you use 4 hi in 1st thru 5th or only 2-5th 3-5th or what?
Old 06-11-2009, 06:39 PM   #35
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad68 View Post
Well this didn't really clarify much either way. I'm more confused than before I read this thread.

I ran on 4 hi on the freeway 55-60mph after the first 4 weeks after I bought it since the owners manual says to run 10 miles a month in 4WD. I turned back to 2 hi when I got off the freeway.

Reason I did this 10 mile thing on the freeway was because at first, when I was going to do my 10 miles, I noticed it felt really weird when I turned right out of my driveway. Felt like the front tire was flat. Also when I backed up out of a parking space. Felt like the parking brake was on.

Leads me to believe that doing 4 hi on the freeway (no turns) should be ok and that 10 miles a month is probablly overkill.

One thing I didn't see in the owners manual was for 4 lo and 4 hi.

Is 4 lo only suppose to be used in first gear? Would be my guess, since it's meant for really tight situations. What are the acceptable gears to use for 4 hi? Can you use 4 hi in 1st thru 5th or only 2-5th 3-5th or what?
You can use 4 low in all gears. DONT use 4 wheel drive on the street. You will wear out components, and/or break something.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:41 PM   #36
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
for some reason i cant ever get my truck in 4wd, any ideas?
Old 06-11-2009, 08:08 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgman View Post
for some reason i cant ever get my truck in 4wd, any ideas?
Interesting....I have the same issue.....
Old 06-11-2009, 09:08 PM   #39
Master Jedi Member I am...
chad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Chad
chad68's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
You can use 4 low in all gears. DONT use 4 wheel drive on the street. You will wear out components, and/or break something.

If you can use 4 lo in all gears, then can you use 4 hi in all gears as well? If so, then what exactlly is the difference between 4 lo and 4 hi?

Does 4 lo limit the maximum speed you can go in each gear vs 4 hi or 2 hi?

My grandfather had a old trail 90 Honda bike and it had a selector switch on the transmission. Selector switch set to low, the bike would go about half as fast in each gear, compaired to it being set to hi.

Guessing the Tacoma works in the same kind of way?
Old 06-11-2009, 09:53 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad68 View Post
If you can use 4 lo in all gears, then can you use 4 hi in all gears as well? If so, then what exactlly is the difference between 4 lo and 4 hi?

Does 4 lo limit the maximum speed you can go in each gear vs 4 hi or 2 hi?

My grandfather had a old trail 90 Honda bike and it had a selector switch on the transmission. Selector switch set to low, the bike would go about half as fast in each gear, compaired to it being set to hi.

Guessing the Tacoma works in the same kind of way?
4 low is a low range......I think its a 2:73 to 1.