Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

6spd and 4x4 question/problem

Old 06-11-2009, 09:48 PM   #41
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I'm still not sure what you're saying.....

I said - If you buy a 4WD truck and NEVER engage the 4WD system for 5 or even 10 years..... will it still work?
And I'm saying - I doubt it will.

That's why the manual specifically recommends that you engage it atleast once a month.
No, but still. Not engaging it for 3 months won't lead the front differential components to rot out because I haven't engaged it for the 10miles each month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad68 View Post
If you can use 4 lo in all gears, then can you use 4 hi in all gears as well? If so, then what exactlly is the difference between 4 lo and 4 hi?

Does 4 lo limit the maximum speed you can go in each gear vs 4 hi or 2 hi?

My grandfather had a old trail 90 Honda bike and it had a selector switch on the transmission. Selector switch set to low, the bike would go about half as fast in each gear, compaired to it being set to hi.

Guessing the Tacoma works in the same kind of way?
Due to the gearing it effectively doubles your torque but halves your speed. However, note that your engine speed will be double at regular speeds. You really only need 4lo if you're doing some serious crawling or hauling.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:09 AM   #42
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If you can use 4 lo in all gears, then can you use 4 hi in all gears as well? If so, then what exactlly is the difference between 4 lo and 4 hi?

Does 4 lo limit the maximum speed you can go in each gear vs 4 hi or 2 hi?

My grandfather had a old trail 90 Honda bike and it had a selector switch on the transmission. Selector switch set to low, the bike would go about half as fast in each gear, compaired to it being set to hi.

Guessing the Tacoma works in the same kind of way?
You can use all gears in both 4hi and 4lo. The difference is gearing.

4hi is the same as 2WD in terms of gearing(relatively speaking). If you travel on the highway at 60mph in 6th gear, your rpms would be at about 1500 (for example, I don't know the exact off the top of my head).

In 4lo range - same gear as above and same rpm range (1500), then you're probably only going about 10mph or less (again, just a guess).

I've only used 4lo in my truck one time over the winter and the maximum speed I could go was like 35mph and the rpm's were screamin (I have an auto).
Old 06-13-2009, 11:30 AM   #45
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
^^ Ok that makes sense. Gonna have to see what kind of torque it makes up a steep azz hill in 1st gear, 4 lo.

Thanks
Lots. I've heard of people idling it up hills.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:14 PM   #46
Master Jedi Member I am...
chad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Chad
chad68's Tacoma Gallery
Well finally got to take the thing offroad today. Holy crap 4lo is LOW. Doubt I would ever use it much. Seems to be really picky sometimes engaging 4lo and sometimes 4hi, mostly 4 lo and yes I come to a stop first going into lo.

I noticed some knocking/vibration coming thru the steering wheel or steering shaft/joint if I hit certain bumps offroad. My guess is it's probablly the Revtek. If I read correctlly with the 3" Revtek or any of those types of lifts, even coilovers, at 3" up front, you only end up with 1/2" of downtravel, instead of 3.5" you have at stock height, so I'm thinking that noise is due possibly to that. Any thoughts on that?

I'm really considering a 6" Fabtech lift with the coilovers set at 5" and running a 2.5" leafpack in the rear, or 1.5" pack and 1" block (1" SAWS block I already have laying around) which would level it out and running 285/70/17's.

Don't care what anybody says but I personally think 33's will look fine with a 5" lift, especially with 4" backspace, which I'm running with my 32's now. I'm trying to go for performace offroad and what works and not what looks cool.

I've noticed that with my 32's, the 4 banger seems to have plenty of power, so I don't think re-gearing will be neccisary, at least not for a while, if at all. Probabbly have to re-gear it at some point to regain the MPG and of course to give it more umph.

Of course I would have to buy new wheels, which sucks. Would love to keep the 16" wheels I have now. Probablly wait till I need new tires and if I have the dough, do everything at the same time. Still toying around with just sticking with 32's and running 2.5 Camburgs, Kings, Fox or similar.

I also was able to check the speedo with 4 different, "your speed is" things and all of them said the speedo was off by 2 MPH. I thought it would be off (if at all) the other way. If I'm showing 60 on the speedo, my actual radar speed is 58. The factory tires must read at least 3 MPH lower than indicated on the speedo. Kinda cool because 33's would make it even more accurate.

Didn't mean to jack this thread but I didn't want to start another post for my cheesy review LOL.