1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

6spd and 4x4 question/problem

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kxhansen, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Jun 11, 2009 at 9:48 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    No, but still. Not engaging it for 3 months won't lead the front differential components to rot out because I haven't engaged it for the 10miles each month.

Due to the gearing it effectively doubles your torque but halves your speed. However, note that your engine speed will be double at regular speeds. You really only need 4lo if you're doing some serious crawling or hauling.

2. Jun 12, 2009 at 4:09 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    You can use all gears in both 4hi and 4lo. The difference is gearing.

4hi is the same as 2WD in terms of gearing(relatively speaking). If you travel on the highway at 60mph in 6th gear, your rpms would be at about 1500 (for example, I don't know the exact off the top of my head).

In 4lo range - same gear as above and same rpm range (1500), then you're probably only going about 10mph or less (again, just a guess).

I've only used 4lo in my truck one time over the winter and the maximum speed I could go was like 35mph and the rpm's were screamin (I have an auto).

3. Jun 12, 2009 at 4:54 PM
    chad68

chad68 Master Jedi Member I am...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    In a (Toyota) van down by the river! Sonoma Cownty
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 reg cab. Modded with more to come
    Polished 16x8 Pro Comp 1069's 4" BS Nitto Mud Grapplers 305/70/16 Magnaflow & glasspack muffler Stainless tip K&N 63 series Aircharger Vent visors Autometer volt and dig. temp. gauge custom mounted Factory chrome rear bumper (not black factory, one) TRD pedal covers TRD skid plate Hurst T handle shift knob Rear Tint Clear bra on the sides Chrome extinguisher Icon non resi coilovers, ICON RR shocks, black seat covers. And some other crap
    ^^ Ok that makes sense. Gonna have to see what kind of torque it makes up a steep azz hill in 1st gear, 4 lo.

Thanks

4. Jun 13, 2009 at 5:05 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Find a dirt hill......

5. Jun 13, 2009 at 11:30 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Lots. I've heard of people idling it up hills.

6. Jun 15, 2009 at 10:14 PM
    chad68

chad68 Master Jedi Member I am...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    In a (Toyota) van down by the river! Sonoma Cownty
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 reg cab. Modded with more to come
    Polished 16x8 Pro Comp 1069's 4" BS Nitto Mud Grapplers 305/70/16 Magnaflow & glasspack muffler Stainless tip K&N 63 series Aircharger Vent visors Autometer volt and dig. temp. gauge custom mounted Factory chrome rear bumper (not black factory, one) TRD pedal covers TRD skid plate Hurst T handle shift knob Rear Tint Clear bra on the sides Chrome extinguisher Icon non resi coilovers, ICON RR shocks, black seat covers. And some other crap
    Well finally got to take the thing offroad today. Holy crap 4lo is LOW. Doubt I would ever use it much. Seems to be really picky sometimes engaging 4lo and sometimes 4hi, mostly 4 lo and yes I come to a stop first going into lo.

I noticed some knocking/vibration coming thru the steering wheel or steering shaft/joint if I hit certain bumps offroad. My guess is it's probablly the Revtek. If I read correctlly with the 3" Revtek or any of those types of lifts, even coilovers, at 3" up front, you only end up with 1/2" of downtravel, instead of 3.5" you have at stock height, so I'm thinking that noise is due possibly to that. Any thoughts on that?

I'm really considering a 6" Fabtech lift with the coilovers set at 5" and running a 2.5" leafpack in the rear, or 1.5" pack and 1" block (1" SAWS block I already have laying around) which would level it out and running 285/70/17's.

Don't care what anybody says but I personally think 33's will look fine with a 5" lift, especially with 4" backspace, which I'm running with my 32's now. I'm trying to go for performace offroad and what works and not what looks cool.

I've noticed that with my 32's, the 4 banger seems to have plenty of power, so I don't think re-gearing will be neccisary, at least not for a while, if at all. Probabbly have to re-gear it at some point to regain the MPG and of course to give it more umph.

Of course I would have to buy new wheels, which sucks. Would love to keep the 16" wheels I have now. Probablly wait till I need new tires and if I have the dough, do everything at the same time. Still toying around with just sticking with 32's and running 2.5 Camburgs, Kings, Fox or similar.

I also was able to check the speedo with 4 different, "your speed is" things and all of them said the speedo was off by 2 MPH. I thought it would be off (if at all) the other way. If I'm showing 60 on the speedo, my actual radar speed is 58. The factory tires must read at least 3 MPH lower than indicated on the speedo. Kinda cool because 33's would make it even more accurate.

Didn't mean to jack this thread but I didn't want to start another post for my cheesy review LOL.

Products Discussed in

To Top