LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

DRIVING SYSTEMS A-TRAC/AUTO LSD/Lock Diff

Old 06-09-2009, 05:19 PM   #1
sebiotacoma is on a distinguished road
sebiotacoma's Tacoma Gallery
DRIVING SYSTEMS A-TRAC/AUTO LSD/Lock Diff

I have 09' db cab 4x4 with the TRD Package. It's my first 4x4 truck.Need some advise on different situations where I can use the A-TRAC ,AUTO LSD ,Rear Locking Diff without damaging the truck. Other than the examples in the owner's manual.Which one is the right one to use in the rain and so on. Also have downhill assist, hill start assist so many gadgets. Or do I just stick to the basics and just use the 4x4 low and hi. Are all the gadgets useless.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:37 PM   #2
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Certainly never use your locking diff in any other situation than mud or snow, when you don't have traction. Lockers will get you out, without a doubt. You should never use it on dry pavement or any solid ground for the most part.

Auto LSD? I thought you either got the locker or the LSD? I'm confused now, but I know they put that button there to be able to control it. I'd just leave it on. If its 'AUTO' then why not. My 2007 has the LSD in it, theres no button to control it

A-TRAC? Hell if I know.... I don't have that shit, chances are (like any traction system) it reduces power to the axles to prevent burnouts and slides. I'd probably never use it, but I'm sure someone who has it will pipe up about it. If you were in the rain, I might consider using it and turning the LSD off. I'm tired of trying to get out into traffic and my tires break loose every damn time I'm trying to pull onto the highway in the rain. Thats the only time I could see it being helpful.

I guess it all depends on how you drive though..... to me, most of them would be useless, but I'm sure they would come in handy for you.

Hope I didn't completely lose you or waste your time by reading this long and boring post.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:16 PM   #4
TL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to behold
TL697's Tacoma Gallery
most conditions - leave the traction control on...

locker - only necessary when you are really stuck and the traction control won't let the tires spin...

Auto LSD - uses brake modulation to simulate a posi rear end

A-Trac - it uses brake modulation to simulate an auto LSD in both the front and rear axles...

get out in the woods and use them to see how they work.

if you need more in depth discussion - PM me
Old 06-09-2009, 07:08 PM   #6
ClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Army Guard 31B
Name: Cam
ClemsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
im not sure, the button with the car fishtailing you have to press to do a burnout, and when im offroad messing around and it can tell im out of control and i feel the truck depress the brakes its self
Old 06-09-2009, 07:21 PM   #7
judd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant future
EMS:
judd94's Tacoma Gallery
toyota has a sales site for the FJ. on this site is video of all the cool things it does. which is pretty much the same as the Taco but it gets all the credit. WTF right? anyway, there are plenty of demo videos of fjs using a-trac, diff lock, etc. the video showing the a-trac says that the computer senses which wheels have traction and put the power to those wheels, using it climbing or muddy terrain or rocky areas, etc.
i think it might be www.toyota.com/fjcruiser
Old 06-10-2009, 07:06 AM   #8
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnecon2001 View Post
Use your locker whenever you lift a rear wheel and can't gain traction while offroading.
Mud and snow isn't the only place you need it..
Of course.... I just didn't assume he'd be doing any real offroading.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:29 AM   #9
Rocking your mom's world Since 1997
drew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnecon2001 View Post
Use your locker whenever you lift a rear wheel and can't gain traction while offroading.
Mud and snow isn't the only place you need it..
The locker is also helpful in sand. If you're driving down the beach or in some dunes, you may be able to progress without the locker, but leaving it engaged will improve your fuel economy.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:00 PM   #10
Resident Gun-toting Hippie
luni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Medic
Name: Burt's Mustache
luni's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...-stack-up.html

One of a billion ATRAC threads. I'm tired of repeating myself. All the traction control systems on the 09 TRD ORs get critisized by the people that haven't used/seen them. I straight embarassed more than a few lifted jeeps with rugged trails and almost stock ride height by using my options properly. What these trucks can do stock is retarded.

There's an active Auto LSD thread right now too. And it shouldn't be to hard to find info on lockers and their benefits/deficiencies.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:04 PM   #11
TL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to behold
TL697's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by luni View Post
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...-stack-up.html

One of a billion ATRAC threads. I'm tired of repeating myself. All the traction control systems on the 09 TRD ORs get critisized by the people that haven't used/seen them. I straight embarassed more than a few lifted jeeps with rugged trails and almost stock ride height by using my options properly. What these trucks can do stock is retarded.

There's an active Auto LSD thread right now too. And it shouldn't be to hard to find info on lockers and their benefits/deficiencies.
I completely agree... I'm extremely happy w/ my '09 and all of the OR options...
Old 06-10-2009, 05:10 PM   #12
luni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shed

luni's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew02a View Post
The locker is also helpful in sand. If you're driving down the beach or in some dunes, you may be able to progress without the locker, but leaving it engaged will improve your fuel economy.
From what I can tell ATRAC when used properly is as good as a locker. The downside being that it wears your brakes faster (duh) and overheats to the point of activating a safety cut-off (boo). But you're wheeling on open diffs so there's less stress on the driveline (yay) and a tighter turning radius (w00t). But it requires loosing traction to activate (ehh) so that could be a downside. But ATRAC is more than capable of driving through a wheel stand (or two)
Old 06-10-2009, 05:15 PM   #13
TL697's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by luni View Post
From what I can tell ATRAC when used properly is as good as a locker. The downside being that it wears your brakes faster (duh) and overheats to the point of activating a safety cut-off (boo). But you're wheeling on open diffs so there's less stress on the driveline (yay) and a tighter turning radius (w00t). But it requires loosing traction to activate (ehh) so that could be a downside. But ATRAC is more than capable of driving through a wheel stand (or two)

Yeah...

I often drive 30+ miles on the weekend in 4Lo w/ A-Trac on, and rarely have to use the locker, but it does help when necessary... And, the locker doesn't make all those crazy noises...
Old 06-10-2009, 05:20 PM   #14

luni's Tacoma Gallery
People look at me like I'm retarded when I take a stock(ish) truck at rocks, then they start giggling when it sounds like a bunch of pissed off crabs are tearing my drivetrain apart, then I give them a thumbs up and keep on rolling and they look sad. I thought they would be happy for me.