Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Lifting your truck! Things you need to know.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:50 AM   #41
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Alright, so lifting.

In the end I want a LT kit so bare that in mind. But that may be 5 years down the road FYI.

I'm after new tires and I'm thinking of going 285x75x16. Now if I get 5100s for the front (Canadian truck, came with the TSB) set at 2.5" that should level the truck out instead of having a rake.

Provided I keep my stock wheels, will I need to A) Trim the fenders and B) Buy wheel spacers? Will spacers help with not having to trim the fenders?

Am I going to do serious hard core Off roading? Not till I get the LT kit. This will be mostly for highway and cut trails, not mudding or crawling.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:13 PM   #42
07La
DLPerry432la is on a distinguished road
Name: Dave
DLPerry432la's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to DLPerry432la
Question Rear Shocks on a 3"+ Lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by toku58 View Post
First Of all let me go over some basic terminology for truck.

Coilover: A coilover refers to the front coil spring and shock assembly. They are built as one unit, unlike a spring and shock suspension which are 2 seperate parts.

Shock: A shock is an oil or gas filled piston unit that when installed are designed to resists quick or shocking movement.

UCA: Are the Upper Control Arms of your front IFS (Independent front suspension) Mainly responsible for the vertical alignment of the front spindles. (For the most part it is non- load bearing)

LCA: Are the Lower Control Arms of the front IFS. This is the part that will see most of the load in you front suspension. It works in unison with the UCA.

Add-A-Leaf Or commonly referred to as AAL's! these are additional springs that are excessively arched to provide additional lift or support to the rear of our trucks. (They maybe used in the front of some vehicles but NOT ours!)

Leaf Pack: Leaf packs are just that a replacement "set" of leaf springs designed to have a better spring rate, and in some cases add lift or additional load capacity.

Alignment I'm sure everyone has heard of alignment. Every car or turk need their alignment check periodically. Alignment is very important in determining the performance characteristics of a vehicle.

Caster: is the angle that your front tire are tilted in relation to the steering axis!

Camber: Camber is the angle that you tires are in relation to the vertical axis when viewed from the front of the vehicle.

Toe: Toe is the angle at which your front tire turn in or out in relationship to each other.

Here is a good link to help understand your alignment:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...e.jsp?techid=4

First off lifts!

There are several types of lifts offered for our trucks. We'll start with the least costly. I will touch on Spacer lift kits, Coil lift kits, and Coilover lift kits. Also I will try to provide links, as they are applicable.

Options for the front!

Bilstien 5100's This is a great affordable lift kit. These replacement shocks are great to add a few inches to the front of your Tacoma, it is adjustable and have a slightly better valving system than the stock shocks that come with the Tacoma's. (But please take note NO One recommends it to be used in conjunction with after market coils) This may result in damage of your suspension components.
Adjustment heights
1 - 0"
2 - 0.85"
3 - 1.75"
4 - 2.5"
_______

Pro Basic kit from Toytec: $209.99
Spacer Lifts: These are spacers made primarily out of aluminum. They are installed on top of your coils and also on top of the strut plate.

There are spacers from Ready Lifts: http://www.readylift.com/

This is a link to how these lifts are installed in the front:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...mtrdsport.html

OME coils lift kits from Toytec: $299.98
This kit comes with replacement coils for the front, 884 or 885's. These are longer replacement coils, which also come with a 1/2" Aluminum spacer. The Install will be basically the same as the spacer kit. (Link posted above)

Coilover lift kit: $1050.00 Free s/h
(DR Coilovers) Most common. Others are available such as Sway-A-way, Fabtech, All Pro, and Camburg to name a few?
These are the high end of the 3" lifts. Extremely easy to install, due to the fact they come already assembled. It is simply a matter of remove and replace. They are also very versatile, in that they are adjustable. Therefore can be adjusted to fit your needs.

Exclusive for 2wd
Camburg spindles, these spindles will yield 4" lift for your 2wd Tacoma. They cannot be used on a 4x4.
http://www.camburg.com/PDF/tacoma%20spindle%20info.pdf
Total Chaos Spindles:

http://www.chaosfab.com/toyaccess_05taco.html

Coil spring rates

The spring rates for the OME and OEM are:

-OEM (factory) 550 lbs/in
-OME884 590 lbs/in 385mm
-OME885 590 lbs/in 395mm
-OME886 660 lbs/in 402mm

For comparison the here are a few more:

-SAW2.0 675 lbs/in
-DR (Icon) 650 lbs/in
-AllPro 650lbs/in

REAR Lifts options:

First off you have:
Lift blocks:
These are blocks of metal that are placed under you rear leaf packs, on top of your axles. The kit includes the lift blocks and longer U-bolts. This is the most basic of the rear lifts and adds NO additional benefits other than height.

Add-A-Leafs
This type of lift consists of an additional Leaf spring that has an increased arc. They added lift by increasing the curve of your rear stock spring pack. They also allow added load capacity for hauling.

This is the instructions for the AAL rear install:
http://www.toyteclifts.com/PDFfiles/...TIONS2%200.pdf

Leaf Packs:
This type of rear lift is the high end of rear lifts.
Consists of a new multiple spring pack. Provides lift, a smoother spring rate. May add or decrease carrying capacity depending on the spring characteristics.

This rear lift is also fairly simple to do since they come pre-assembled. Simply R&R.

These lifts can be found at:

http://www.toyteclifts.com/0507tacoc...07tacoliftkits

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05uptacoma.htm

Here is a link to Alcan:
http://www.alcanspring.com/making.htm

Body Lift $325.95 http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...scon/5603.html
This is a lift that is Achieved by adding spacers to the body mounting points. This lift essentially increases the distance between the frame and the cab. This lift requires other parts such as fuel line extension, bumper brackets, and larger fender skirts to hide the increased gap, between the fender and the frame. You will also need to extend the steering unit.

CT link basically cover same info:
http://www.customtacos.com/tech/index.php?article=137

Upper Control "A" arms (UCA's)

UCA's are The A arms at the top of your Indipendant Front Suspension

I will cover 2 Brands Camburg, and Total Chaos. There are others like All Pro or DR, but since I have No first hand experience with these I'll let others chime in on them.

Camburg UCA's: from my experience, and from what Camburg has informed me about, were designed to give greater clearance to accommodate larger coil over coils. They are NOT designed to correct alignment issues, caused by the addition of a 3" lift.

Total Chaos: These are UCA's specifically designed to help correct the alignment issue caused by the addition of a 3" lift.
~~Total Chaos~~ also makes a Heim joint UCA's designed to be used with 6" DB lifts.

All Pro: Are also designed to correct Alignment issues.

Light Racing These UCA's are a new design, they allow more range of adjustment. Works well with 3" and 6" lifts.

Here are some links to read in reguards to UCA's.

Install:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t171569.html

Problems with Camburg
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t171670.html
Comparison:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t173282.html

Wheels and tire:
(Thanks to MrGrimm)
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t184562.html

Wheel Spacers (If you would like to run your stock rims? I recommend these)
http://www.4x4rockshop.com/scripts/p...dproduct=10887

Q&A links
Can you use your stock shocks with a coil lift?

YES! But remember with a 3" lift the stock shocks will only have about 1" of down travel.
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t189189.html

Bilstein 5100: This lift is also at it's full extent it will have only about 1" of down travel.

Both of these lifts are limited by the length of the shock. Both will have a jarring sensation when traveling over bumps at speed.

OME makes longer shocks which are designed for a 3" lift. This will allow better articulation of your suspension. BUT! Remember with the increased travel you will need longer brake lines.

"possible issues"

-After you lift your truck, and find that at speed it wanders all over the road?
-You need a set of UCA's to correct you alignment.

-Remember that mostly everything you alter on your truck's suspension will have an affect on other components.

-Excessive wear on CV boots due to increased angle.
-You can install a differential drop.

-Rear drive line vibration or shudder.
-Carrier bearing drop. (IMHO not a good idea)
-Tom Woods one piece drive shaft. (So far this seems to be the only cure)

Tire rubbing:

Although the height is increased with a lift? The size of the wheel/fender opening remains the same.
So in actuality the stock 265's are the biggest tire that can articulate and clear through 98% of the suspensions range of movement.

The 285's is more for aesthetics and looks rather than serious offraoding.

If you choose to run 285's, with a 3" lift, and you want to do some serious offroading? Then you may need to cut away a portion of you front body mount, to allow the tire free movement while doing full turns.

But don't be mistaken with this set up you can still do some great offroading! You just may encounter some rubbing of your tires.

Here is some info on Achieving proper alignment, and the importance of UCA's:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...alignment.html

This Thread is meant as a starting point, or as a guideline. Things may vary in different situations, and individual results.

Please take everything I have stated with a "grain of salt" and decide for yourself!

Good Luck!

EDIT:
Here's a bit of additional information:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...7&postcount=28

I have a dilema. Perhaps you can be of assistance.

In order to support a load in my 2007 TRD Pre-Runner Quad Cab 2WD, the firsr thing I did was take the truck back to Toyota and had the weak leaf pack replaced under the TSB. This still did not support (2) CRF450R Dirt bikes, gear bags and 2 passengers and a trailer with about 85 -100 pounds of tongue weight. I was practically on the bump stops all the time.

I installed an AAL and this cured the load problem, then to compensate for the lift, I installed Adjustable Coilovers with Bilstein 5100's in the front.

Now the problem is when not loaded, the Stock Bilstein shocks are now too short, when I go over a bump, they extend to the point where I think they will pull the plunger rod out.

I went to Downey off Road and the guy behind the counter told me to jack the truck and suspend the rear end, unbolt the shock at the top and let the rear end hang, then measure from the centerline of the bottom through bolt to the top of the stemm mount on the truck where the rubber donut sits. This is 26". I also measured the same points while the truck was sitting on the ground as it sits normally, that is 22".

Well I tried calling him back today, (Downey Off Road) the number has been disconnected and the website no longer exists.. Go figure.

Can Anyone tell me which shock would work ? Bilstein does not make a 5100 series shock that has a stem top mount. I would need a "Stem Conversion Kit" which takes up about 1˝".

I do not have to put Bilsteins on the rear, just need a comparable shock, the right length and travel that would work, not too stiff, not too soft.

Am I asking too much? Frustrated.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:22 PM   #43
Spootypuff is on a distinguished road
Spootypuff's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Spootypuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by toku58 View Post
Bilstien 5100's This is a great affordable lift kit. These replacement shocks are great to add a few inches to the front of your Tacoma, it is adjustable and have a slightly better valving system than the stock shocks that come with the Tacoma's. (But please take note NO One recommends it to be used in conjunction with after market coils) This may result in damage of your suspension components.
Could you elaborate on this?
Old 09-16-2009, 02:37 PM   #44
07La
DLPerry432la is on a distinguished road
Name: Dave
DLPerry432la's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to DLPerry432la
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spootypuff View Post
Could you elaborate on this?

Just FYI... My kit uses 2004 4-Runner Springs in the front.. The ride is ok adjusted up just to where I have 2˝" of sag.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:28 PM   #45
TACO LOCO is on a distinguished road

TACO LOCO's Tacoma Gallery
Just did my 09, 3'' with 18''x9'' wheels

Old 10-01-2009, 09:26 PM   #46
50Tacoma
willmhobbs is on a distinguished road

Name: Will
willmhobbs's Tacoma Gallery
any idea what type of lift a delarship usually does
Old 10-01-2009, 09:34 PM   #47
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by willmhobbs View Post
any idea what type of lift a delarship usually does
Most likely a spacer lift. Something like Revtek.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:30 PM   #48
mmmmm beer!
05TacomaCO is a splendid one to behold05TacomaCO is a splendid one to behold05TacomaCO is a splendid one to behold05TacomaCO is a splendid one to behold05TacomaCO is a splendid one to behold05TacomaCO is a splendid one to behold05TacomaCO is a splendid one to behold05TacomaCO is a splendid one to behold

Name: Paul
05TacomaCO's Tacoma Gallery
I currently have a 1" lift block in the rear and was thinking of switching to an AAL, but I was wondering if it would make the ride stiffer. Any thoughts?
Old 10-03-2009, 08:27 PM   #49
Lemon
GreySky72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreySky72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreySky72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreySky72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreySky72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreySky72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreySky72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreySky72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreySky72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreySky72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreySky72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GreySky72's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't read anything in this thread except the name of it and what you need to know (and I'm sure you already do and your just going to say I told you so) is dont get a spacer lift. Really dont do it! I've had the revtek spacer lift on my truck for almost 2 years and my suspension is totally shot. Makes me wish I had gone with a better lift when I had the money.... damn it
Old 10-03-2009, 08:48 PM   #50
sAm I aM has much to be proud ofsAm I aM has much to be proud ofsAm I aM has much to be proud ofsAm I aM has much to be proud ofsAm I aM has much to be proud ofsAm I aM has much to be proud ofsAm I aM has much to be proud ofsAm I aM has much to be proud ofsAm I aM has much to be proud of

Air Force: 19 EMXS/MXMG
sAm I aM's Tacoma Gallery
Great info man! Rep your way.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:24 PM   #51
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
with billys at 2.5" will i need ucas? how far will my caster be off?

Also, with toytec coilovers will the spring be two aggressive for my 4banger?
Old 10-03-2009, 10:18 PM   #52
The G stands for smooth
Gsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shedGsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shedGsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shedGsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shedGsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shedGsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shedGsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shedGsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shedGsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shedGsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shedGsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: GG
Gsquare's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO LOCO View Post
Just did my 09, 3'' with 18''x9'' wheels

Man, that looks GREAT, Loco.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:41 AM   #53

Thanks G, I noticed you had your seatbelt chime disabled. My dealer tried to disable mine however was not able to do it. What is the trick?
Old 10-04-2009, 08:08 AM   #54
dwzild is just really nicedwzild is just really nicedwzild is just really nicedwzild is just really nice

Marines: Sgt/6114 - Cobra/Huey Helo Mech, HMLA-773
dwzild's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dwzild
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO LOCO View Post
Thanks G, I noticed you had your seatbelt chime disabled. My dealer tried to disable mine however was not able to do it. What is the trick?
I just did mine as well. I forgot where the link is, but here is the info:

1) Turn the truck 'ON', but do not start the engine (Lave your foot off the brake). Cycle your trip reset knob until it reads ODO. Turn the ignition back off. Wait a couple of seconds.
2) Make sure seat belt is not fastened.
3) Turn the ignition back on, do not start truck (Leave your foot off the brake). As soon as you see eaverything light up, press and hold the trip reset knob for a long 12-second count.
4) Keeping your finger on the trip reset knob, fasten your seat belt. You should see the ODO display go from your mileage to "b-on". At that time, take your finger off the trip reset knob and press it again. It should cycle to "b-off". You should be all set to trun the ignition off and unfasten your seat belt. You will still get 4 initial chimes each time you start the vehicle, but no more seat belt reminder chimes.

Hope this works out for you.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:39 AM   #55
The G stands for smooth
Gsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shedGsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shedGsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shedGsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shedGsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shedGsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shedGsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shedGsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shedGsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shedGsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shedGsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: GG
Gsquare's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ Took me a couple of tries. Turned out that holding the button down for 30 seconds did the trick.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:48 PM   #56

Good stuff..many thanks .
Old 10-04-2009, 03:15 PM   #57

Took me 3 times but it worked.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:40 PM   #58
mmmmm beer!
05TacomaCO is a splendid one to behold05TacomaCO is a splendid one to behold05TacomaCO is a splendid one to behold05TacomaCO is a splendid one to behold05TacomaCO is a splendid one to behold05TacomaCO is a splendid one to behold05TacomaCO is a splendid one to behold05TacomaCO is a splendid one to behold

Name: Paul
05TacomaCO's Tacoma Gallery
wtf...just looked at my leafs and there's only 2 with a helper and a 1" block. Looks like someone removed one of the leafs...why would any one do this. I bought the truck used a few weeks ago and just noticed this.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:57 AM   #59
dwzild is just really nicedwzild is just really nicedwzild is just really nicedwzild is just really nice

Marines: Sgt/6114 - Cobra/Huey Helo Mech, HMLA-773
dwzild's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dwzild
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05TacomaCO View Post
wtf...just looked at my leafs and there's only 2 with a helper and a 1" block. Looks like someone removed one of the leafs...why would any one do this. I bought the truck used a few weeks ago and just noticed this.
That's how it comes from the factory, minus the block. The TSB adds a 3rd full length leaf to make a 4-leaf pack total. My 2010 has 2 full and 1 helper.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:56 AM   #60
FLAtacoma05 will become famous soon enoughFLAtacoma05 will become famous soon enough
Air Force: SERE
Name: Wes
FLAtacoma05's Tacoma Gallery
Extreme LIFT

I have seen some Tacomas with 9" of suspension lift. How did they do it? there are some on cardomain. can you stack a revtek 3" spacer kit on top of a 6" procomp, fabtech, total chaos, or rough country?

i want to do 6" pro comp, 3" revtek and 3" Body. i know you will have t modify other components like the UCA. But can it be done and what new components are needed?