Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Lifting your truck! Things you need to know.

Old 11-07-2009, 03:01 AM   #61
FLAtacoma05 will become famous soon enoughFLAtacoma05 will become famous soon enough
Air Force: SERE
Name: Wes
FLAtacoma05's Tacoma Gallery
and by the way i dont plan on using it offroad. just for looks only so it wouldnt stress the ball joints as severe
Old 11-08-2009, 09:13 PM   #62
toku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

toku58's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAtacoma05 View Post
and by the way i dont plan on using it offroad. just for looks only so it wouldnt stress the ball joints as severe
Regardless if you offroad? That much lift will stress everything!!

It's possible to do it; but be ready to replace parts on a monthly basis.

If you really want to go that high? Then look into SAC.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:26 AM   #64
Turtle
Just4fununlimited is a jewel in the roughJust4fununlimited is a jewel in the roughJust4fununlimited is a jewel in the rough

Name: Tyrtl
Just4fununlimited's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Just4fununlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by rberumen2 View Post
i am just interested in leveling out the front end. would you recommend getting the revtek leveling kit or the bilstein shocks? i want a smooth ride but don't want to spend too much. and if i did get one or the other, is that all i would need, or is there more?
I would recommend that you go with the 5100's.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:19 AM   #65
elliott.estes is a splendid one to beholdelliott.estes is a splendid one to beholdelliott.estes is a splendid one to beholdelliott.estes is a splendid one to beholdelliott.estes is a splendid one to beholdelliott.estes is a splendid one to beholdelliott.estes is a splendid one to behold

elliott.estes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to elliott.estes
Thanks for all this great information. I read this post over and over trying to make the best decision on a lift. Based on what I've read, for a decent lift the Bilstien 5100's in the front and the AAL in the rear.

I have 07 DC 2wd, I mainly to city/freeway but like to go off road. I DJ, so there can be times I will carry a heavy load in the truck of my bed. Does that effect or play a roll on what lift you get. Also i am confused on if it is better to have your truck stiffer?

I also see people talk about the OEM coils by toytech and also others talking about Bilstien's in the front and the rear.

I think I am looking for advice due to my lack of knowledge on lifts. I do not want to go the cheep route, but also don't want to spend a lot of money.

In the end I would like a 3" lift and 285x70x16or17.

Thanks for help, excuse me for all my questions, just want to make sure I do it right from the beginning
Old 12-12-2009, 07:31 PM   #66
Turtle
Just4fununlimited is a jewel in the roughJust4fununlimited is a jewel in the roughJust4fununlimited is a jewel in the rough

Name: Tyrtl
Just4fununlimited's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Just4fununlimited
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO LOCO View Post
Just did my 09, 3'' with 18''x9'' wheels

Your truck is sick!!! I think I might go 18's instead...
Old 12-29-2009, 09:42 PM   #67
Mondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Mondwa's Tacoma Gallery
Smoother ride?

Ok i have a 08 Off-road DC Short bed and I noticed that the ride is kinda ruff compared to my brothers TRD. From my understanding the Off road suspension is build that way. Is there any way to soften the ride a little with out compermising the Off road ? I do use it for off roading every once in a while. But mainly my wifes every day driver. Sorry just learning about the suspension part of the truck.lol
Old 01-01-2010, 02:21 PM   #68
Taco Madre
ronny97 is a splendid one to beholdronny97 is a splendid one to beholdronny97 is a splendid one to beholdronny97 is a splendid one to beholdronny97 is a splendid one to beholdronny97 is a splendid one to beholdronny97 is a splendid one to beholdronny97 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Ronny
ronny97's Tacoma Gallery
Can you specifically tell us what you used on your truck? I think your truck is perfect. I know what I like, I just don't know how high of a lift or what kind of lift to use.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:26 PM   #69
HIGHONSTRESS is on a distinguished road
HIGHONSTRESS's Tacoma Gallery
This is a great thread, I am new to trucks and this is my first one.

Which suspension kits are the best for offroading and clearing obstacles.. i would think that suspension travel is important. I installed coilovers on my subaru and suddenly i was lifting my inside rear wheel on fast corners because it didnt have any travel. I still feel so lost. I was also wondering that even if you lift your truck doesnt the axles and differential housings still remain at the same level.. does a 3inch lift make a noticable difference when trying to drive down logging roads and trails?
Old 01-12-2010, 11:43 PM   #70
toku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

toku58's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHONSTRESS View Post
This is a great thread, I am new to trucks and this is my first one.

Which suspension kits are the best for offroading and clearing obstacles.. i would think that suspension travel is important. I installed coilovers on my subaru and suddenly i was lifting my inside rear wheel on fast corners because it didnt have any travel. I still feel so lost. I was also wondering that even if you lift your truck doesnt the axles and differential housings still remain at the same level.. does a 3inch lift make a noticable difference when trying to drive down logging roads and trails?
IMHO, the best set up would be a ProComp or Fabtech lift with 33" tires on 10" wide rims. (Well actually the best would be SAS but that's a different story)

I don't think the 3" lift is very good for offroading, because it is very limited on down travel. Like what you were describing with your subaru.
I know people will jump on me for saying that. But just think about it.

The 3" lift almost fully extends your stock suspension to achieve the 3" lift. Leaving you with very little down travel. And to do well offroading you need both up travel, and down travel.

The DB lifts like Fabtech and Procomp basically maintains the stock suspension travel, while giving you additional front to back ground clearance.
(Yes I know you don't gain anything wheel to wheel clearance) The 3" lift will have the same clearance.

But this is just my opinion. You can decide for yourself. I really don't care to argue with the peanut gallery about how good or bad a 3" lift is.
It just depends on what you want to do.

I will only provide information and my opinion.

Good Luck!
Old 01-15-2010, 09:54 AM   #71
Banned
kilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to behold
kilgoja's Tacoma Gallery
i was thinking of doing a mild lift with 5100s set at 1.75" in the front to level the truck out....is this enough to cause problems like wandering when at speed on the highway?....if it does then i'm not gonna do it...my truck is a daily driver not a weekend warrior trail rig...and i drive on the interstate to work every day going 75mph so this is a big issue to me...will uca's be needed? or not?...i don't wanna open up a can of worms...everything rides perfectly stock...if it's gonna mess it up i don't wanna do it...i plan on keeping this truck for the long haul...don't wanna have to replace cv stuff or anything down the road cuz i did a 1.75" lift....lmao
Old 01-20-2010, 04:54 PM   #72
BSP4x4
BSP4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toku58 View Post

Bilstien 5100's This is a great affordable lift kit. These replacement shocks are great to add a few inches to the front of your Tacoma, it is adjustable and have a slightly better valving system than the stock shocks that come with the Tacoma's. (But please take note NO One recommends it to be used in conjunction with after market coils) This may result in damage of your suspension components.
Adjustment heights
1 - 0"
2 - 0.85"
3 - 1.75"
4 - 2.5"
_______

been doing some research on a front lift...and have had some people suggest 5100's with eibach 1.6 springs (5100's set at 0)....

but after reading the lift sticky i am confused and it seems as this combo is NOT okay?

sorry for a few posts regarding this but i want to make sure i spend $ on something that works!
Old 02-02-2010, 04:55 PM   #73
elchimpo is on a distinguished road
Name: Gustavo
elchimpo's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the info
Old 02-11-2010, 10:28 AM   #74
Tacomagirl03 is on a distinguished road
Name: Cassandra
Tacomagirl03's Tacoma Gallery
Great Info!! Thanks I can not wait to lift my truck! Yours looks badass dude~
Old 03-11-2010, 01:38 PM   #75
Everything's BIGGER in TX!
Oskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oscar
Oskie_78's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Oskie_78
Quote:
Originally Posted by toku58 View Post
Camburg UCA's: from my experience, and from what Camburg has informed me about, were designed to give greater clearance to accommodate larger coil over coils. They are NOT designed to correct alignment issues, caused by the addition of a 3" lift.

Total Chaos: These are UCA's specifically designed to help correct the alignment issue caused by the addition of a 3" lift.
~~Total Chaos~~ also makes a Heim joint UCA's designed to be used with 6" DB lifts.

All Pro: Are also designed to correct Alignment issues.
]

So, the Camburgs DO NOT help correct alignment?

Do the Total Chaos help with the alignment? or All Pro is the only one?

what's the best for price that would do great for the alignment?
Old 03-11-2010, 11:15 PM   #76
smuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud of
Name: CR
smuggiesrider's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott.estes View Post
Thanks for all this great information. I read this post over and over trying to make the best decision on a lift. Based on what I've read, for a decent lift the Bilstien 5100's in the front and the AAL in the rear.

I have 07 DC 2wd, I mainly to city/freeway but like to go off road. I DJ, so there can be times I will carry a heavy load in the truck of my bed. Does that effect or play a roll on what lift you get. Also i am confused on if it is better to have your truck stiffer?

I also see people talk about the OEM coils by toytech and also others talking about Bilstien's in the front and the rear.

I think I am looking for advice due to my lack of knowledge on lifts. I do not want to go the cheep route, but also don't want to spend a lot of money.

In the end I would like a 3" lift and 285x70x16or17.

Thanks for help, excuse me for all my questions, just want to make sure I do it right from the beginning
x2
Old 03-12-2010, 07:30 AM   #77
SURFTACO will become famous soon enough

Name: Steve
SURFTACO's Tacoma Gallery
My knowledge of lifts just increased because of this thread. Thanks a lot!
Old 03-12-2010, 07:33 AM   #78
SURFTACO will become famous soon enough

Name: Steve
SURFTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Just stumbled on this PDF about the 5100's on their website, pretty good explanation...

http://www.bilsteinus.com/leveling/ARTICLE.pdf
Old 03-12-2010, 09:06 AM   #79
Simon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Simon2150's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SURFTACO View Post
Just stumbled on this PDF about the 5100's on their website, pretty good explanation...

http://www.bilsteinus.com/leveling/ARTICLE.pdf
awesome PDF find and the document does a very good job of explaining how 5100s work. rep your way...
Old 03-12-2010, 09:35 AM   #80
MattN03 is a jewel in the roughMattN03 is a jewel in the roughMattN03 is a jewel in the roughMattN03 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Matt
MattN03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2150 View Post
awesome PDF find and the document does a very good job of explaining how 5100s work. rep your way...
x2!!