Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Lifting your truck! Things you need to know.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:04 PM   #121
Pro skier
skiomax is on a distinguished road

Canadian Army:
skiomax's Tacoma Gallery
Great info, I am so green at this all the info your providing is very helpful!
Old 10-24-2012, 07:33 PM   #122
Get busy living, or get busy dying.
teamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really nice

Royal Canadian Air Force: Top Secret
teamfast's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heepspo View Post
cheapest, fastest way to simply level the front end without doing anything to the rear... anyone?
Top plate spacers. No question. Ask to see the install of 5100s vs top plate spacers, you'd be ridiculous to do 5100s.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:17 PM   #123
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamfast View Post
Top plate spacers. No question. Ask to see the install of 5100s vs top plate spacers, you'd be ridiculous to do 5100s.
top plate spacers are so easy..find them used and it would be cheap too!
Old 11-29-2012, 05:58 AM   #124
RDNK TAZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedRDNK TAZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedRDNK TAZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedRDNK TAZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedRDNK TAZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedRDNK TAZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedRDNK TAZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedRDNK TAZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedRDNK TAZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedRDNK TAZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedRDNK TAZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: FF/EMT
Name: Chad
RDNK TAZ's Tacoma Gallery
Good sticky, really informative but I still have a few questions. I would like lift mine up maybe 2" and was wondering what would be my best bet and what size tires can I go with without scrubbing? For now I have to stick with the stock rims. I would love to get a set of the TRD 17" bead lock wheels.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:53 AM   #125
Go Ducks!
MGM Humphreys is on a distinguished road
Name: Zach
MGM Humphreys's Tacoma Gallery
Shit hot thread man. Great info for a new guy such as myself. Thanks!
Old 12-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #126
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toku58 View Post
IMHO, the best set up would be a ProComp or Fabtech lift with 33" tires on 10" wide rims. (Well actually the best would be SAS but that's a different story)

I don't think the 3" lift is very good for offroading, because it is very limited on down travel. Like what you were describing with your subaru.
I know people will jump on me for saying that. But just think about it.

The 3" lift almost fully extends your stock suspension to achieve the 3" lift. Leaving you with very little down travel. And to do well offroading you need both up travel, and down travel.

The DB lifts like Fabtech and Procomp basically maintains the stock suspension travel, while giving you additional front to back ground clearance.
(Yes I know you don't gain anything wheel to wheel clearance) The 3" lift will have the same clearance.

But this is just my opinion. You can decide for yourself. I really don't care to argue with the peanut gallery about how good or bad a 3" lift is.
It just depends on what you want to do.

I will only provide information and my opinion.

Good Luck!
From what Miles said in this build thread, droop travel is the key to addressing the limitations mentioned about 3" lifts. What he built seems to be exactly what I'm looking for ... except for the price, of course.

Fox Racing Toyota Tacoma 2005 - Current Extended Travel Factory Series Kit

Aftermarket UCAs & stock LCAs- Miles went with Camburg UCAs and some special ball joints

FJ Cruiser rear Fox Shocks (not sure of model no.) with OME Dakar rear springs

Timbren bump stops, front & rear

I plan to run the stock OR suspension (with the AAL TSB) for now, and add Timbren bump stops. That should get me by until I'm ready to dump a few thousand into the suspension, and I won't be wasting money along the way.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:33 PM   #129
TSondo90 is on a distinguished road
Name: TJ
TSondo90's Tacoma Gallery
Hey everyone, I have a 2012 Taco. I am planning on doing a lift. Was recommended to do the Bilstien 5100's in the front, OME shocks and add a leaf in the back. I want a 3 inch overall lift and looking to get wider and bigger tires. I saw some Pro- Comp wheels with 5 inch back spacing, will this be wide enough to get some poke with the tires?/ Will i run into any rubbing problems?
Old 04-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #130
tacoma0587 is on a distinguished road

Army: 19K Tanker.
Name: G
tacoma0587's Tacoma Gallery
i have the same truck stock

i was looking at putting the same 285 nitto trail grapplers and xd crank rims on my truck with a 3 inch lift. do you have any pictures of your truck you can send me? thanks.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:50 PM   #131
suburbanHILLBILLY is on a distinguished road

Name: Aaron
suburbanHILLBILLY's Tacoma Gallery
Whats better king or icon?
Old 07-17-2013, 05:10 PM   #132
Binski
binski is on a distinguished road
Name: David
binski's Tacoma Gallery
this is awesome!! i've been looking for a lift and have been back and forth on the best way to go! thanks!!
Old 11-12-2013, 12:26 PM   #134
lightinglark956 is on a distinguished road
Name: pat
lightinglark956's Tacoma Gallery
cheap top plate spacers !!!! use 3 inch header collector flanges ! they come in 3/16 5/16 and 3/8 thickness .just open the bolt holes outward with a hacksaw ,jigsaw or cutoff wheel .paint and install .most muffler and parts stores carry them about a 1/3rd of what top plate spacers would cost ya
Old 02-06-2014, 08:18 PM   #136
I like my truck!
1tacoplease is on a distinguished road

Army: SGT - ret.
1tacoplease's Tacoma Gallery
I am running the Bilstein 5100's at top level 2.5". Do I need to get UCA'S? I don't really notice any issues exept fot slight tire screeching when I make sharp U turns.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:31 PM   #138
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tacoplease View Post
I am running the Bilstein 5100's at top level 2.5". Do I need to get UCA'S? I don't really notice any issues exept fot slight tire screeching when I make sharp U turns.
What are your alignment numbers? If your alignment is within specs, you like the way it drives and the stock UCAs aren't hitting the coils then you are fine.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:20 PM   #140
t00toned is on a distinguished road
t00toned's Tacoma Gallery
Anybody running an OME 3" lift? Been thinking about this brand for a while now.