1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lifting your truck! Things you need to know.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by toku58, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Jun 9, 2009 at 11:24 PM
    toku58

toku58 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    On a Rock in the middle of the Pacific
    Vehicle:
    Mall Crawler!
    21' TRD OffRoad 2" 887 OME on Bilstein 5100's. 285/70R17 General Grabbers G3 17x8.5" Icon TRD wheels (Gun metal gray) 4.75" BS
    First Of all let me go over some basic terminology for truck lifts.

Coilover: A coilover refers to the front coil spring and shock assembly. They are built as one unit, unlike a spring and shock suspension which are 2 seperate parts.

Shock: A shock is an oil or gas filled piston unit that when installed are designed to resists quick or shocking movement.

UCA: Are the Upper Control Arms of your front IFS (Independent front suspension) Mainly responsible for the vertical alignment of the front spindles. (For the most part it is non- load bearing)

LCA: Are the Lower Control Arms of the front IFS. This is the part that will see most of the load in you front suspension. It works in unison with the UCA.

Add-A-Leaf Or commonly referred to as AAL's! these are additional springs that are excessively arched to provide additional lift or support to the rear of our trucks. (They maybe used in the front of some vehicles but NOT ours!)

Leaf Pack: Leaf packs are just that a replacement "set" of leaf springs designed to have a better spring rate, and in some cases add lift or additional load capacity.

Alignment I'm sure everyone has heard of alignment. Every car or turk need their alignment check periodically. Alignment is very important in determining the performance characteristics of a vehicle.

Caster: is the angle that your front tire are tilted in relation to the steering axis!

Camber: Camber is the angle that you tires are in relation to the vertical axis when viewed from the front of the vehicle.

Toe: Toe is the angle at which your front tire turn in or out in relationship to each other.

Here is a good link to help understand your alignment:
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=4

LIFTS!

There are several types of lifts offered for our trucks. We'll start with the least costly. I will touch on Spacer lift kits, Coil lift kits, and Coilover lift kits. Also I will try to provide links, as they are applicable.

Options for the front!

Bilstien 5100's http://www.bilsteinus.com/leveling/ARTICLE.pdf
    This is a great affordable lift kit. These replacement shocks are great to add a few inches to the front of your Tacoma, it is adjustable and have a slightly better valving system than the stock shocks that come with the Tacoma's. (But please take note NO One recommends it to be used in conjunction with after market coils) This may result in damage of your suspension components.
    Adjustment heights
    1 - 0"
    2 - 0.85"
    3 - 1.75"
    4 - 2.5"
    _______

Pro Basic kit from Toytec: $209.99
    Spacer Lifts:
    These are spacers made primarily out of aluminum. They are installed on top of your coils and also on top of the strut plate.

There are spacers from Ready Lifts: http://www.readylift.com/

This is a link to how these lifts are installed in the front:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/40467-how-toytec-lift-install-smtrdsport.html

OME coils lift kits from Toytec: $299.98
    This kit comes with replacement coils for the front, 884 or 885's. These are longer replacement coils, which also come with a 1/2" Aluminum spacer. The Install will be basically the same as the spacer kit. (Link posted above)

Coilover lift kit: $1050.00 Free s/h
    (DR Coilovers) Most common. Others are available such as Sway-A-way, Fabtech, All Pro, and Camburg to name a few?
    These are the high end of the 3" lifts. Extremely easy to install, due to the fact they come already assembled. It is simply a matter of remove and replace. They are also very versatile, in that they are adjustable. Therefore can be adjusted to fit your needs.

Exclusive for 2wd
    Camburg spindles, these spindles will yield 4" lift for your 2wd Tacoma. They cannot be used on a 4x4.
    http://www.camburg.com/PDF/tacoma spindle info.pdf
    Total Chaos Spindles:

http://www.chaosfab.com/toyaccess_05taco.html

Coil spring rates

The spring rates for the OME and OEM are:

-OEM (factory) 550 lbs/in
    -OME884 590 lbs/in 385mm
    -OME885 590 lbs/in 395mm
    -OME886 660 lbs/in 402mm

For comparison the here are a few more:

-SAW2.0 675 lbs/in
    -DR (Icon) 650 lbs/in
    -AllPro 650lbs/in

REAR Lifts options:

First off you have:
    Lift blocks:
    These are blocks of metal that are placed under you rear leaf packs, on top of your axles. The kit includes the lift blocks and longer U-bolts. This is the most basic of the rear lifts and adds NO additional benefits other than height.

Add-A-Leafs
    This type of lift consists of an additional Leaf spring that has an increased arc. They added lift by increasing the curve of your rear stock spring pack. They also allow added load capacity for hauling.

This is the instructions for the AAL rear install: Leaf Packs:
    This type of rear lift is the high end of rear lifts.
    Consists of a new multiple spring pack. Provides lift, a smoother spring rate. May add or decrease carrying capacity depending on the spring characteristics.

This rear lift is also fairly simple to do since they come pre-assembled. Simply R&R.

These lifts can be found at: Here is a link to Alcan:
    http://www.alcanspring.com/making.htm

Body Lift $325.95 http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/5603.html
    This is a lift that is Achieved by adding spacers to the body mounting points. This lift essentially increases the distance between the frame and the cab. This lift requires other parts such as fuel line extension, bumper brackets, and larger fender skirts to hide the increased gap, between the fender and the frame. You will also need to extend the steering unit.

CT link basically cover same info:
    http://www.customtacos.com/tech/index.php?article=137

Upper Control "A" arms (UCA's)

UCA's are The A arms at the top of your Indipendant Front Suspension

I will cover 2 Brands Camburg, and Total Chaos. There are others like All Pro or DR, but since I have No first hand experience with these I'll let others chime in on them.

Camburg UCA's: from my experience, and from what Camburg has informed me about, were designed to give greater clearance to accommodate larger coil over coils. They are NOT designed to correct alignment issues, caused by the addition of a 3" lift.

Total Chaos: These are UCA's specifically designed to help correct the alignment issue caused by the addition of a 3" lift.
    ~~Total Chaos~~ also makes a Heim joint UCA's designed to be used with 6" DB lifts.

All Pro: Are also designed to correct Alignment issues.

Light Racing These UCA's are a new design, they allow more range of adjustment. Works well with 3" and 6" lifts.

Here are some links to read in reguards to UCA's.

Install:
    http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t171569.html

Comparison:
    http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t173282.html

Wheels and tire:
    (Thanks to MrGrimm)
    http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t184562.html

Wheel Spacers (If you would like to run your stock rims? I recommend these)
    http://www.4x4rockshop.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=10887

Q&A links
    Can you use your stock shocks with a coil lift?

YES! But remember with a 3" lift the stock shocks will only have about 1" of down travel.
    http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t189189.html

Bilstein 5100: This lift is also at it's full extent it will have only about 1" of down travel.

Both of these lifts are limited by the length of the shock. Both will have a jarring sensation when traveling over bumps at speed.

OME makes longer shocks which are designed for a 3" lift. This will allow better articulation of your suspension. BUT! Remember with the increased travel you will need longer brake lines.

Top Plate spacer:
    Most decent 3" spacer lifts will come with a top plate. There should be (2) one thick one that goes into the coils, and a smaller one that goes on top. The reason being that the shock isn't long enough to do the entire lift.
    Here's a thread with pictures:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...mtrdsport.html

That's why even coil lifts 885's, 884's, etc.... will all come with the top plates to acheive the 3" lift.

It's also why it isn't a good idea to stack lifts like coils and 5100's. If you do so you are taking away from the intended design.

"possible issues"

-After you lift your truck, and find that at speed it wanders all over the road?
    -You need a set of UCA's to correct you alignment.

-Remember that mostly everything you alter on your truck's suspension will have an affect on other components.

-Excessive wear on CV boots due to increased angle.
    -You can install a differential drop.

-Rear drive line vibration or shudder.
    -Carrier bearing drop. (IMHO not a good idea)
    -Tom Woods one piece drive shaft. (So far this seems to be the only cure)

Tire rubbing:

Although the height is increased with a lift? The size of the wheel/fender opening remains the same.
    So in actuality the stock 265's are the biggest tire that can articulate and clear through 98% of the suspensions range of movement.

If you choose to run 285's, with a 3" lift, and you want to do some serious offroading? Then you may need to cut away a portion of you front body mount, to allow the tire free movement while doing full turns.

But don't be mistaken with this set up you can still do some great offroading! You just may encounter some rubbing of your tires.

Here is some info on Achieving proper alignment, and the importance of UCA's:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/40470-ucas-alignment.html

This Thread is meant as a starting point, or as a guideline. Things may vary in different situations, and individual results.

Please take everything I have stated with a "grain of salt" and decide for yourself!

Good Luck!

EDIT:

FOR 6" Fabtech vs Procomp info check post #100 of this thread:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...rocomp-6-lift-more-pictures-6.html#post813620

4/13/22

I highly recommend Bilstein 5100 Due to their affordability and the addition of 1.2" of extended travel (More than Icon or TRD Pro)
    This paired with SPC UCA's which provide the maximum Wheel clearance from Cab Mount to properly fit 33" tires.
    There are many set up you can buy.
    But IMHO this combo is the best bang for your buck!

((I am in no way associated with Bilstein or SPC. I'm simply providing the best information I currently have to help everyone make the right decision for their ride.
    Good Luck!))

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
    Nv90, Sig4Taco18, otherphone and 48 others like this.
  2. Jun 9, 2009 at 11:41 PM
    TEX357

TEX357 TX

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 TACOMA
    285\70-17 BFGoodrich KM2's 17x8 Pro Comp 7089
    niceeee thread

3. Jun 10, 2009 at 3:45 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Thanks for pretty much being a badass bro.... hopefully bringing some of these stickies over will help relieve the forum of stupid questions.

4. Jun 10, 2009 at 6:22 AM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Hey speaking of trimming. Does any body have pictures of there front fender area? I took off my bumper yesterday and then re-installed it but the thin black plastic fender piece doesn't look like its in the right place? I just need to see a pic towards the front of the wheel where we all had to trim for 33"s.:rolleyes: Mine just looks a little bit off.

5. Jun 10, 2009 at 6:36 AM
    BBQ BOY

BBQ BOY Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thank you. I am about to buy a Tacoma and wanting to lift it but don't have tons of time to search for every little thing.

6. Jun 10, 2009 at 6:38 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
  7. Jun 10, 2009 at 6:59 AM
    gjbonner

gjbonner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    X2

8. Jun 10, 2009 at 9:39 AM
    Lentsnh

Lentsnh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Hummer H3 Tactical Edition
    None yet- Future: HIDs, Tinted tails, LED interior lights,
    Great info Brian.

People will like to have this and will be used ALOT

:thumbsup:

9. Jun 10, 2009 at 9:53 AM
    toku58

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Mall Crawler!
    21' TRD OffRoad 2" 887 OME on Bilstein 5100's. 285/70R17 General Grabbers G3 17x8.5" Icon TRD wheels (Gun metal gray) 4.75" BS
    Thanks guys! PM me if you have any DIY requests?;)

10. Jun 10, 2009 at 9:55 AM
    Lentsnh

Lentsnh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Hummer H3 Tactical Edition
    None yet- Future: HIDs, Tinted tails, LED interior lights,
    Will do:D

11. Jun 10, 2009 at 12:12 PM
    BBQ BOY

BBQ BOY Well-Known Member

Member:
    This should be a sticky.

12. Jun 10, 2009 at 1:24 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    NIce work man- Well done!!

13. Jun 10, 2009 at 1:55 PM
    gonzo6up

gonzo6up Well-Known Member

Member:
    Middle Tn
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma SR5 4x4 sport
    tint/ vent visors/ seatbelt chime mod/ DTRL Mod
    this is great info especially since i am limited with time to search for all of these answers. I agree it should be a sticky!

14. Jun 10, 2009 at 2:06 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    thread is now sticky!!!:eek::D

great write-up toku!!

15. Jun 10, 2009 at 5:34 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    Man ... that is one of the best threads that I have seen on any truck forum.

It has good basics for the beginner and mid-level and more advanced info in it.

All that info. in one place too.

Thanks for taking the time to post that info. with the links too.

SOS

PS ... great info for a "sticky" too.

16. Jun 10, 2009 at 6:43 PM
    toku58

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Mall Crawler!
    Thanks guys!
    Would you guys like info on 6" lifts also? I could update the sticky.

EDIT::

I updated some info. some of the links were no longer working. (I wrote this over 2 yrs ago) So hopefully it's all good now.

I will periodically add info to the thread to try and keep it current.

17. Jun 10, 2009 at 11:01 PM
    ilg

ilg VanCity Taco.

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM TRD O/R 4x4 6-Spd
    WeatherTechs, Yellow Fogs, Alpine X-100 iPod Stereo, Custom Seat Covers, Debadged, Locking Bed Compartments, Black Front Toyota Emblem, AVS Vent Visors, Colour Matched Grill, TRD Shift Knob, Eagle Alloy 187s in 16x8 wrapped in 265/75/R16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Black Chrome TRD Badge on Tailgate, Black Rear Bumper, 8 in shorty antenna, 5100s @ 2.5.
    Best post ever.

18. Jun 21, 2009 at 6:13 PM
    taco-mia

taco-mia Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Maria
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4 Sport
    Procomp suspension lift, tires,
    Well thank you for helping me to not be the person that asks all of the stupid questions. Great info, I can't wait to lift my truck!

siKjiTz likes this.
  19. Jun 21, 2009 at 11:36 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ Tradesman Shell
    Just the basics
    Great thread...now where is that money for 5100's? Where did I put it?

20. Jun 22, 2009 at 10:43 AM
    mainland_newfie

mainland_newfie Mainland Newfie

Member:
    ontario, canada
    Vehicle:
    TRD Tacoma
    skid plate, side step rails, new rims, hose clamp, 20% tint, G4 Tonneau cover, JVC 7 in double din stereo/dvd
    awesome awesome awesome awesome

Products Discussed in

To Top