Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Loading (2) motorcycles

Old 06-10-2009, 10:43 AM   #1
zero_B is on a distinguished road
zero_B's Tacoma Gallery
Loading (2) motorcycles

I recently bought a 2009 Tacoma Prerunner..2WD with the bigger wheels. I'd like to load up my (2) Triumph Bonneville's in the back and have a few questions.

According to the tailgate TSB, my Prerunner should be ok, but I'll probably take the tailgate off just to be safe. (Bonneville: 450lbs dry)

Ramp, what ramp should I get?? Any recommendations?
Do I need front wheel chocks?
How difficult is the D-ring modification? Any recommendations there?
Old 06-10-2009, 10:47 AM   #2
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
I have only loaded 2 dirt bikes, and it is pretty tight with them. If you do it pics
Old 06-10-2009, 11:13 AM   #4
Demoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud of

Demoncleaner's Tacoma Gallery
Only my 350 lb dual sport in a shortbed (rear wheel center of tailgate)here. I use a front wheel chock, and front bed D-rings (they arent difficult to do).

For your 500 lb bikes that sounds tight...You will def need the front bed D-rings, I'd chock em too. Lots of rachet tie-down straps. Tailgate... You sure they would fit without the gate off? If your 1000 lbs of bikes do rest on the tailgate, even w/ the TSB I'd go plywood to disperse the weight.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:11 PM   #5
Thread killer
LBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LBtaco's Tacoma Gallery
oh and if you don't have the TSB rear springs have fun with the crappy ride
It will bottom out alot.
and you'll need the extra D-rings. There's a part # around here.. the ones you already have are $30 each from the dealer, but they have a kit for >$30 and it has 2.(it mounts on the side of the bed, but you throw that hardware away and just use the D-rings)
Old 06-10-2009, 12:14 PM   #6
zero_B's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the input.

Are the front D-rings really no good?
And when you say plywood...you mean to run a piece of plywood
across the bed (not along), over the bed/tailgate gap?
Old 06-10-2009, 12:24 PM   #7
Demoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud of

Demoncleaner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_B View Post
Thanks for the input.

You need 2 front bed D-rings like the 2 in the back of your bed. The sliding ones along the rail will not hold your bikes safety. Can get from dealer or get from hardware store for a few bucks like many of us have done. Search D-rings or see Cheap mods thread.

Plywood plank under the wheels of your bikes whereever they may sit on the tailgate. Idea is distribute all that weight over larger area.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:24 PM   #8
Betty White Edition Heep ZJ
jonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jonny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_B View Post
Thanks for the input.

front d rings are good stuff. please dont use your plastic bed cleats to tie down 1000 lbs of bikes doubt you will though
i think he means a ply wood across the tailgate, if the back tires are resting on the tailgate. to "take a little load off/ or distribute the weight" evenly and not risk the chance of bending our superior toyota tailgate
Goodluck with your haul man. post some pics!
Old 06-10-2009, 12:38 PM   #9
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
$30.. Just do you own tie down points.. I did six of them for under $30. Im goint to plasti dip them I think though.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:49 PM   #10
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
I tied down 2 dirt bikes and it was a tight squeeze. The biggest problem is the handlebars hitting each other. We angled each front tire into the corners so the bars wouldn't hit. If you do that, you need to consider the tie down points.

We used the cleats for the outside side of the bars. I will not use them again! They easily bent and I was very worried about it popping out of the rail. They are only good for light tie down points.

For the inside of the bars, we crossed over the tires and reached the D-rings I added to the bed bolts.

Here are the bolts I added:

Here is one 7" dirt bike loaded diagonally. Note the use of the right side cleat. When we loaded 2 bikes, the fronts were in the corners like this picture but the back end were more centered on the tailgate.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:33 PM   #11
zero_B's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the input guys.

I'm off to find D-rings for the front..and some decent chocks + ramp.
It does look like my rear wheels are going to be on the tailgate.
So much for taking the tailgate off. I heard the 09's tailgates have been
reinforced so I'll have to take a chance with the ramp.

Oh yea, and the TSB on the rear suspension.
Gotta count 4 leafs, is it?
Old 06-10-2009, 11:20 PM   #12
anestech* will become famous soon enough
anestech*'s Tacoma Gallery
I've had 3 dirt bikes in mine, the outer two foward, with the middle one backward. Wasn't much room for them too move around. Probably would have stayed put without tie downs even
Old 06-11-2009, 08:02 AM   #13
zero_B's Tacoma Gallery
I guess that's one way...CRAM IT!
Old 06-12-2009, 11:06 AM   #14
zero_B's Tacoma Gallery
What's a good online source for Toyota parts?
I see alot of sites out there, some are just a bit shady.
I'm looking to buy those Toyota brand d-rings.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:09 AM   #15
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Beefed Taco's Tacoma Gallery

Old 08-16-2009, 04:36 PM   #16
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

[/QUOTE]

nice rides!