1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

High Mounted Stop Light, Mod?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mvega1969, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Nov 19, 2007 at 11:02 AM
    mvega1969

mvega1969 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Laredo
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tacoma DC LB 4X4 TRD Off Road.
    Does anyone has tried to mod the high mounted stop light to work also as a bed light?

Is it possible? any aftermarket product to do it?

Regards.

2. Nov 26, 2007 at 2:50 PM
    sawdust

sawdust Unapologetic Texan

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad Radiant Red V6 Auto DC
    Homelink mirror, tailgate lock, 2ndary air filter removal, Access LE tonneau, Bugflector II, hitch-based bed extender, vent visors, suspension TSB, stall mat
    I can't help you out, but I'll add a "me too". I've been doing some background thinking on this. Sometime I'd like to visit a junk yard and try to find a gen1 tundra high-mount light and make it fit. I have no idea how big a job it would be to run an extra switched circuit up there. I assume the wires are in the headliner, but I could be wrong. Ideally, I'd want it switched at the left of the steering wheel, but I could live with a switch next to the dome light.

3. Nov 26, 2007 at 2:57 PM
    Bill in Ky

Bill in Ky Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Bright White 08 Reg 4X4 2.7 5spd SR5
    I got my first 4x4 in 1972...haven't been without one! I still like Chrome!
    Sawdust,
    I am a junkyard dog, I love roaming around seeing what I can find. What I have noticed lately is that almost all late model 4x4 toyota's (4 runner, tundra, tacoma etc) all use the same switches in the dash (fog light, security etc). I'm sure one of those could be adapted to switch on a bed light.
    Good hunting!

4. Nov 26, 2007 at 3:11 PM
    mvega1969

Member:
    Laredo
    Vehicle:
    It may be easy as some of the additions I have done to our 2004 Sienna, where I have placed the Hitch electrical wiring harness, plus the mirror (auto-dimming) and all proper connections were there. This may me think that the future switch to accomplish this kind of mode is there. But we will know until we open the pandora box (remove that third brake light).

Hope someone else help us on this.

Regards.

5. Nov 26, 2007 at 3:11 PM
    sawdust

sawdust Unapologetic Texan

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad Radiant Red V6 Auto DC
    Homelink mirror, tailgate lock, 2ndary air filter removal, Access LE tonneau, Bugflector II, hitch-based bed extender, vent visors, suspension TSB, stall mat
    Thanks, Bill. That's good to know about the switches. If you like roaming the junkyards, how about measuring to see if a gen1 tundra high-mount light would fit on the gen2 tacos? I imagine it'll be spring before I could visit a junkyard.

The other thing on my list of junkyard hunting are more of those cubbies in the bed. I pulled one out the other day, and noticed that there was room to fit 2 or 3 extras in there.

6. Nov 26, 2007 at 3:20 PM
    mvega1969

Member:
    Laredo
    Vehicle:
    And what about the latest model of Toyota T100, if be possible that their wiring harness distribution is more like to be of a Tacoma (Or it may be to old?)

OK, yesterday at a local Academy store, next to my Tacoma it was a Toyota T100, the third brake light is the exact same one as on the 08' Tacoma, but when I said exact the same it had no white cargo light in it, I do not know if they came out with this option. Does any one know?

Regards.

7. Dec 24, 2007 at 8:29 AM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    I gave up on a cargo light for the bed. One company mentioned making one, but it was always "coming next month" and never showed up.

Now that I have a canopy that would block that light anyway I don't bother trying to find one.

I just broke down and bought a set of underbody LED tubes. Wired two under the tie down rails, and put the other two under the truck to see what I'm stepping in/on at night.

Personally, I think they light it up better than any 3rd brake light cargo light.

th_DSCF1257_fa1ea492907d992b8caca8808e8927f57b0dd309.jpg

th_DSCF1259_55d67aa8eca30ff22c0e10ad327bdc8366b0c5ef.jpg

Shared with Flock - The Social Web Browser
    http://flock.com

Products Discussed in

To Top