LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Brake Upgrade or Tundra Brake Swap

Old 06-11-2009, 10:24 PM   #1
paulmurphyhomes is on a distinguished road
paulmurphyhomes's Tacoma Gallery
Brake Upgrade or Tundra Brake Swap

I want to lift my '09 double cab and get some bigger meats but I'm not too impressed with the factory brakes with the factory wheels. I could only imagine what it would be like with bigger tires. Does anyone know of any Tundra brake swap? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:37 PM   #2
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not sure about the Tundra swap, although, there are manufactures with rear disk setups for sale.

I would recommend reading through this thread for some more information on the topic.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...sion-kits.html
Old 06-12-2009, 03:44 AM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Do some research...

You can't just swap discs on and expect everything to work like you expect.
http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techart...kes/index.html

I wouldn't worry too much about the brakes just yet. It may feel soft but I'm personally pretty damn confident Toyota has designed them not to fail. Lots of people have big tires & lifts and haven't had problems.

The first thing I would do, is get stainless steal brake lines. Put some good synthetic fluid in and make sure you bleed the system properly and go from there. With bigger tires & a lift kit - you'll probably need longer brake lines anyway.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:11 AM   #5
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
TRD offers a brake kit for the 09 - 10 Tacos. I would look into that first. I can give you a report on mine in a few days...
Old 06-12-2009, 08:37 AM   #6
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
bleed them first....they're better than you think.
Any increase in wheel size is going to degrade braking....more rotational mass.
The factory lines are fine...SS lines are more for looks at this level.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:55 AM   #7
papabear050 will become famous soon enough
papabear050's Tacoma Gallery
I heard if you get slotted rotors and new pads and stainless lines you can knock a good 20 feet off your stopping distance. Hawk rotors and pads are good. SS lines don't expand under pressure so when you step on the pedal it feels firmer.

I don't like my brakes stopping power, but I just drive slower and safer. But having better brakes would be nice if I had the $$
Old 06-12-2009, 09:21 AM   #8
pucksniper is a glorious beacon of lightpucksniper is a glorious beacon of lightpucksniper is a glorious beacon of lightpucksniper is a glorious beacon of lightpucksniper is a glorious beacon of light

Army: 11b infantry
Name: Mike
pucksniper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by papabear050 View Post
I heard if you get slotted rotors and new pads and stainless lines you can knock a good 20 feet off your stopping distance. Hawk rotors and pads are good. SS lines don't expand under pressure so when you step on the pedal it feels firmer.

I don't like my brakes stopping power, but I just drive slower and safer. But having better brakes would be nice if I had the $$
i have Hawk pads and powerslot rotors... got them from performance products... i like em !!!!!
Old 06-12-2009, 09:37 AM   #9
Joe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to behold
Joe B's Tacoma Gallery
Guys,I have Hawk Performance Ceramic pads,Goodridge G-Stop SS lines and did a fluid flush and I have very little difference in brake pedal feel.
Maybe powerslot rotors would help.I may give them a shot.
I do have less dust,though.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:06 AM   #10
papabear050 will become famous soon enough
papabear050's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
Guys,I have Hawk Performance Ceramic pads,Goodridge G-Stop SS lines and did a fluid flush and I have very little difference in brake pedal feel.
Maybe powerslot rotors would help.I may give them a shot.
I do have less dust,though.

It's probably better but you are going too fast with your Super Charger...so it feels the same.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:07 AM   #11
Joe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to behold
Joe B's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by papabear050 View Post
It's probably better but you are going too fast with your Super Charger...so it feels the same.

I can't find an Powerslot rotor application for my truck.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:10 AM   #12
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Call Edwin at RaceShopper.com.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:42 AM   #13
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Mushy brake guys.... go bleed your brakes. Mine feel fine, and I'm running 33's, at least twice the weight in tire there.