1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rattle and/or buzzing sound behind glove box

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Goblin, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Jun 12, 2009 at 8:08 AM
    Goblin

Goblin [OP] TSB 0305-08 Rev2 & TSB 0373-09 DONE

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 TRD OFF ROAD
    STOCK TRD 4X4 OR DC
    I've had this rattle (buzzing) sound behind the glove box since purchase. When it occurs you can take your foot and press up against the wiring and it will stop. It only occurs on cold mornings while the truck is warming up and driving below 20mph. Anyhow, I thought it was the plastic coating and placed zip ties around it tight. Seemed to help for a couple of weeks. Now its back. With the glove box removed and the buzz occurring I can still put my finger on the wires and it will stop. A lot of vibration can be felt here and in the floor board.

Anyhow, I haven't taken it to Toyota because unless you drive it first thing it wont do it. And, once it warms up it does not do it. Unfortunately my drive to work is short and slow and it buzzes all the way in. In the afternoon, there is no buzz.

I guess its something that once warmed up (expands) and then fits correctly so it doesn't rattle. There are a lot of plugs and a ton of wires behind the glove box and I can't rule out the exact place its coming from.

Has anyone else had an issue with this behind the glove box?

2. Jun 12, 2009 at 8:13 AM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Yes, lots of people on here have had that same problem. Mine did as well but eventually stopped on its own.:eek: Other guys will chime in and help yah I'm sure!;)

3. Jun 14, 2009 at 7:22 PM
    Goblin

Goblin [OP] TSB 0305-08 Rev2 & TSB 0373-09 DONE

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 TRD OFF ROAD
    STOCK TRD 4X4 OR DC
    I took the truck in Saturday on a whim just to see what the dealership would do. Well, they met my expectations regarding the rattle. Its almost too laughable; I took it in and showed the service greeter where and explained the issue. In doing so I took the glove box out and pointed to the wires, etc. The service technician said that my problem was because I was driving with the glove box removed. OMG, what f$cking morons! The service guy also noted the vehicle had some vibration and did a two wheel balance and alignment? NOT sure where that came from? Anyhow, the total was $253 and considered warranty work. OK, so I guess I broke even with this trip....

I wonder if I take the truck back for the alignment and balance if they will fix the rattle?:confused:

Products Discussed in

To Top