Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Grille Writeup - No bondo/glass required

Old 06-12-2009, 09:19 AM   #1
Fightin Texas Aggie
TX Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTX Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTX Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTX Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTX Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTX Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTX Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTX Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTX Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTX Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTX Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TX Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Grille Writeup - No bondo/glass required

I've received a few questions about my grille so thought I'd do a write up on how I made it.

This is in no way 100% comprehensive, but I'll try to cover all the main steps that I followed.

The grille is compromised of a chrome plastic piece mated to a base plastic piece via 30 or so tabs in slots. I figured out from looking that at the factory they stick the chrome piece tabs through the base piece slots and then hit the back side with a soldering iron to melt the end of the tab so it swages out, kinda like a rivet made of plastic.

I used a dremel (probably the one tool I'd absolutely insist on having for this job) with a cutting wheel to cut the chrome ends of the tabs off on the backside of the grille. After all of them were cut off I carefully separated the chrome piece and the base plastic piece.
Attached Thumbnails
Grille Writeup - No bondo/glass required-step-1-chrome-trim-removed.jpg  
Old 06-12-2009, 09:21 AM   #2
Fightin Texas Aggie
TX Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTX Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTX Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTX Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTX Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTX Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTX Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTX Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTX Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTX Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTX Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Next I cut the grill section out with the dremel from the base plastic piece.
Attached Thumbnails
Grille Writeup - No bondo/glass required-step-2-grille-removed.jpg  
Old 06-12-2009, 09:21 AM   #3
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Old 06-12-2009, 09:23 AM   #4
Fightin Texas Aggie

Next I bought some expanded metal (16 gauge) from a steel yard and trimmed it to fit the opening.
Attached Thumbnails
Grille Writeup - No bondo/glass required-step-3-expanded-metal-cut-out-trimmed-fit.jpg  
Old 06-12-2009, 09:28 AM   #5
Fightin Texas Aggie

Next I overlaid the trimmed mesh on the back of the chrome piece and marked the openings at 6" intervals for studs to hold it in place.

For studs I superglued and then JB Welded bolts in place at the previously marked locations. For good adhesion I recommend using the dremel cutting wheel to rough up the surface before sticking the bolts on.
Attached Thumbnails
Grille Writeup - No bondo/glass required-step-4-bolts-jb-welded-place.jpg  
Old 06-12-2009, 09:29 AM   #6
Fightin Texas Aggie

Detail pic:
Attached Thumbnails
Grille Writeup - No bondo/glass required-jb-welded-bolts-close-up.jpg  
Old 06-12-2009, 09:39 AM   #7
"Let's Ride!"
Padilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant future

Name: Daniel
Padilla1880's Tacoma Gallery
The suspense is killing, I wanna see this all finished!
Old 06-12-2009, 09:40 AM   #8
SMO
SaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
SaltySteve's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
x2
Old 06-12-2009, 09:41 AM   #9
Fightin Texas Aggie

After letting the studs (glued bolts) set up for 24 hours I put together the assembly with fender washers and nylon insert locknuts.

Notice that I ended up trimming the bottom portion of the base plastic piece completely away. I also trimmed the expanded metal to only have openings at the attachment points (not required, but saves on weight and helps any possible clearance issues with the chrome and base plastic piece.

I also did numerous trial and error fit checks during this step, trimming the base plastic piece to not interfere with the grille mesh. Be sure not to trim off the bottom two mounting points from the base plastic piece. They are where your grille snap mounts near your bumper and you'll need them.

For reassembling the chrome piece to the base plastic piece I used the same factory method of tab in slot and then I hit the backside with a soldering iron. You may have to melt more of the plastic together since you cut the tabs shorter earlier, but it works all the same. I also slathered on JB weld at the top for added structural support.

The mesh is painted with rustoleum satin black. If it doesn't hold up or I get bored I'll powdercoat it.

The emblem that I got from my tailgate when I debadged is retained with 3 short pieces of allthread that I installed into bores that I drilled on the backside of it. I wet installed the allthread with superglue. I'm sure red threadlocker would work well also. It's held onto the mesh with locknuts.
Attached Thumbnails
Grille Writeup - No bondo/glass required-step-5-assembly.jpg  
Old 06-12-2009, 09:44 AM   #10
Fightin Texas Aggie

While I was waiting for the studs / glue / JB Weld to set up, I masked off my front end and shot it with high temp black bbq grill paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Grille Writeup - No bondo/glass required-step-6-black-out-behind-grille.jpg  
Old 06-12-2009, 09:45 AM   #11
Fightin Texas Aggie

Masking removed:
Attached Thumbnails
Grille Writeup - No bondo/glass required-behind-grille-blacked-out-masking-removed.jpg  
Old 06-12-2009, 09:46 AM   #12
Fightin Texas Aggie

Final Install:
Attached Thumbnails
Grille Writeup - No bondo/glass required-step-7-final-assy.jpg   Grille Writeup - No bondo/glass required-grille-after-3.jpg   Grille Writeup - No bondo/glass required-grille-after.jpg  
Old 06-12-2009, 09:48 AM   #13
"Let's Ride!"
Padilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant future

Great write up! Grille looks awesome!
Old 06-12-2009, 09:51 AM   #14
Believe
phynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
phynyx38's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome grill.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:54 AM   #15
SMO
SaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Killer man. That looks sick! This isn't necessarily a Satoshi right so what's the mod name? It's gotta be something snazzy.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:57 AM   #16
Fightin Texas Aggie

Jamesoshi?

Texoshi?
Old 06-12-2009, 09:59 AM   #17
"Let's Ride!"

The Jamoshi sounds better!
Old 06-12-2009, 10:00 AM   #18
SMO

BAMF-yoshi?
Old 06-12-2009, 10:01 AM   #19
Fightin Texas Aggie

Jamoshi works for me. It's good to be immortalized.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:12 AM   #20
"Let's Ride!"

How long did it take you to complete this?