1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stock roof rack install question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by eyball, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Jun 12, 2009 at 6:29 PM
    eyball

eyball [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dudley, MA
    Vehicle:
    20 Double cab TRD Sport Voodoo Blue
    I just got the stock roof rack for my 05 from Toyota of Dallas and realized the screws need to be torqued and the instrutions list it in inches not feet. My torque wrench is in feet in starts at 10. The manual calls for 117.7" which I calculated as about 9.8' so I figure I can set my wrench at the lowest setting. The other setting the insructions call for is 50" which is like 4.something. My question is would it be advised to just wing it on this or should I drop the cash and but a microtorque wrench that does inches? Its $80 at sears and I dont want to buy something I will use 1 time. I also dont want the roof rack falling off my roof or beiing too tight.

Anyone install one of these and have any advice?

Thanks,
    Eyball

2. Jun 12, 2009 at 6:36 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Im a firm beliver in useing a torque wrench, but for anything less than 10 lb-ft., I use the smallest 1/4" drive I have, and only turn the bolt about 1/4 turn after its seated. Do this at your own risk. :)

3. Jun 12, 2009 at 7:51 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    I recently bought a micrometer torque wrench that has inches and pounds at autozone. It was $30 bucks.

4. Jun 12, 2009 at 8:38 PM
    eyball

eyball [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dudley, MA
    Vehicle:
    20 Double cab TRD Sport Voodoo Blue
    Thanks guys. I think I might check the auto stores and see if I can get some like that for $30. I dont mind spending that but $80 is hard to swallow for something I wont use much at all. I already have a good torque wrench it just does not go low enough.

5. Jun 12, 2009 at 8:54 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    no problem. good luck

Products Discussed in

To Top