1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to pop the hood with broken release cable?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by manfang, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Jun 12, 2009 at 9:29 PM
    manfang

manfang [OP] Member

Member:
    WashingtonState
    Vehicle:
    07 Dcab
    Hi All

Today when setting the Parking brake, my foot snagged the trunk release cable. The cable came loose from trunk release handle in the cab, and appears to be bound up somewhere in linkage.

Now the hood is closed and I have no access to romoving the cable to replace. Or free it from where it's bound.

The cable is still in tact, but doesn't seem to work when I pull the release. I yanked pretty hard using a claw hammer and a scrap of wood no luck.

Thanks for any pointers.

Matt

2. Jun 12, 2009 at 10:23 PM
    TX Tacoma

TX Tacoma Fightin Texas Aggie

Member:
    Arlington, TX
    Great question, and I had to know the answer. Unfortunately, I can't claim credit:

If the cable broke right at the release handle, you might be able to get some pliers on it and pull firmly, opening the hood. Then you're temporary fix can just be a small vice-grip type plier left in place. I bought a used car that came that way. If the cable or hardware under the hood broke, you'll have to locate and operate the release catches manually. The releases are on each side, typically slightly inboard of or behind the headlights. Each one has a spring lever which is pulled towards the center of the car by the cable. You can reach these levers with a screwdriver or piece of coat hanger, and trigger them manually. Each one has a loop about 1/2" round at the end that has to be pushed or pulled, letting the hood pin spring pop the hood up an inch or so. If you're having trouble finding them, it helps to be able to look at another car with the hood up. Try a bone yard, a friends car, or maybe a picture in a manual. http://www.humanspeakers.com/audi/hoodcable.htm

3. Jun 12, 2009 at 10:23 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    How about squeezing it with a pair of pliers or something and pulling?

4. Jun 13, 2009 at 12:05 AM
    S-M-R-T

S-M-R-T Well-Known Member

Member:
    The simple trick for poping the hood for auto extrication oi smashing the grill out with a crow bar, grabbing the wire with the fork, and giving it a twist. This can be done on some models that have large grill openings without the smashy-smashy part if you are lucky.

5. Jun 13, 2009 at 7:41 AM
    manfang

manfang [OP] Member

Member:
    WashingtonState
    Vehicle:
    07 Dcab
    I got it fixed last night and I thought I'd share in case it happens to anyone else.

I used some a 10mm socket with a universal and took of the latch cover plate (2 bolts) off. It's a pain but if you are patient you can do that through the grill. From there you could see the wire and it was lodged in an odd place past the latch. I took a long screw driver and pushed it up so it could freely move again. After that it worked fine; I reassembled the pull in the cab, popped the hood.

If the cable was broken I think the only way to get open is to take the whole latch assembly off, which is 3 more bolts, and lowest one would be a pain to get too.

I suspect how what happened is that it popped the first time, the return spring pulled the cable back hard enough to cause the end under the hood to shoot past it's normal landing place and jam further back in.

6. Feb 3, 2015 at 11:45 AM
    zenturnip

zenturnip New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Sacramento,Ca
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 SR5
    Thank you , your info helped me out of a jam,,, I left the shroud off so if it happens again I can fix it easier next time,,, thanks again

reallifedog likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top