Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Fuel Injector cleaning

Old 06-13-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
Glocktex is on a distinguished road
Glocktex's Tacoma Gallery
Fuel Injector cleaning

Ok so after using my search button and reading what I can, I am still uncertain. Does one or should one, clean the fuel injectors? If so with what and why? Is the dealer 'fuel injector' clean any big deal? Can it be done by me?
I appreciate the info.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:34 PM   #2
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
Run a can of Seafoam through the gas now and then. Gets and keeps them shiny new!
Old 06-13-2009, 12:49 PM   #3
Glocktex is on a distinguished road
Glocktex's Tacoma Gallery
I've read posts about this seafoam. Some people say don't. Some say do. Some say the fuel will do all that needs to be done. If Toyota recommends cleaning the fuel injectors, there might be something to it??
Old 06-13-2009, 01:32 PM   #4
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Fuel Injector Cleaning

Glocktex your going to hear a lot of different recommendations on this I would suggest going on Google and doing a little research. But here are some recommendations from me. Some car companies recomend not using fuel injector cleaner and others do. I don't think it really matters, I think that most cars need it.
I also think that a lot of it depends on the quality of fuel you put in. Some fuel companies use a small amount of it already in the fuel like Shell for example but it can cost a little bit more. I always put it in around every 4000-5000 miles or right after every oil change. I fill up at Costco which from what I understand does not use any kind of cleaner already mixed in so that is why I put it in every oil change. If you fill up at a place that does use cleaner, than you may want to wait every 8000-10000 miles or after every two oil changes.
I have no way of knowing what is the best product, but I have heard a lot of people say that the Techron Concentrate Plus by Chevron works the best. So that is what I use but I'm sure that other companies products such as Lucas, STP cleaners work good as well and remember too change out that fuel filter every 30,000 miles as well.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:30 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Federal guidlines require Fuel companies to have a certain amount of detergents in their fuel. Some use the min. required, while others use more.....I use a quality fuel, and never had to use an injector cleaner in any of my vehicles.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:33 PM   #6
sebiotacoma is on a distinguished road
sebiotacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2002 gmc envoy with 160000 miles. I have no miss fires recorded on the tech 2 gmc scanner. I also use 2 bottles of techron very 5000 miles. GREAT STUFF
Old 06-14-2009, 06:58 AM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Go to an Autoparts store and buy some fuel system or fuel injector cleaner - (the stuff you pour in the gas tank). It's probably the easiest, cheapest, and fail safe way to clean the system initially.

I use TECHRON PLUS fuel system cleaner. I put a bottle in about every 6 monhts - 1 year. They recommend using it at every oil change, but that's a bit much (gets expensive).

http://www.chevron.com/products/ourf...tives/tcp.aspx
Old 06-14-2009, 08:42 AM   #8
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Go to an Autoparts store and buy some fuel system or fuel injector cleaner - (the stuff you pour in the gas tank). It's probably the easiest, cheapest, and fail safe way to clean the system initially.
I was told that those bottles are useless. If you really want to clean the injectors there is a kit that connects to the fuel line. You actually disconnect the fuel line and block it off, then connect this pressurized aerosol can and run the engine on just this can until it is empty.

I have never used it though...
Old 06-14-2009, 08:54 AM   #9
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
i use a bottle of techron with every oil change......never had a problem with it.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:06 AM   #10
Yuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant future
Name: Lee
Yuma Taco's Tacoma Gallery
In the bike world "Seafoam" is legendary.
I used it on a regular basis in my carburetoraed (sp) bike. When people had problems just short of a full tare down, this stuff worked.
I'll be running some through on a regular basis.

My thoughts,

Yuma Taco,
Old 06-14-2009, 10:12 AM   #11
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
Buy some super unleaded and call it a day!
Old 06-14-2009, 01:46 PM   #13
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by db67fm View Post
I was told that those bottles are useless. If you really want to clean the injectors there is a kit that connects to the fuel line. You actually disconnect the fuel line and block it off, then connect this pressurized aerosol can and run the engine on just this can until it is empty.

I have never used it though...
And that would be the next step if the bottles don't work.

For me, the bottled stuff is just 'maintenance'. I buy it twice a year and hope it does what it advertises. I might see a very very slight throttle response difference, but that could just be in my head.

The pressurized setup is neat and probably more valuable if your system is really messed up.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:28 AM   #14
LEEP is on a distinguished road
Name: LEE
LEEP's Tacoma Gallery
Bg cleaner in fuel tank evert 10 thou dealer should have it USE B-4 OIL CHANGE NOT AFTER
Old 06-15-2009, 02:16 PM   #15
lasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant future
Navy: Lead PO Submarine Reactor Control Dvision
lasllc's Tacoma Gallery
[quote=db67fm;685104]If you really want to clean the injectors there is a kit that connects to the fuel line. You actually disconnect the fuel line and block it off, then connect this pressurized aerosol can and run the engine on just this can until it is empty.
quote]

I betcha this group also has the distinct pleasure of offering you the chance to help them recover a muti-million dollar bank account in some god-awful country whose GDP doesnt even come close to that amount.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:38 PM   #16
06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Colin
06BLUEDBLSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
I put STP injector cleaner in my truck and brothers truck and my other brothers 4runner and we all could feel the difference
Old 06-15-2009, 02:59 PM   #17
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06BLUEDBLSPORT View Post
I put STP injector cleaner in my truck and brothers truck and my other brothers 4runner and we all could feel the difference
thats just butt dyno man!