Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Removing 2nd Air Filter Questions

Old 06-13-2009, 07:07 PM   #1
FL4x4Taco is a glorious beacon of lightFL4x4Taco is a glorious beacon of lightFL4x4Taco is a glorious beacon of lightFL4x4Taco is a glorious beacon of lightFL4x4Taco is a glorious beacon of light
FL4x4Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Removing 2nd Air Filter Questions

First off, yes I searched and read through posts for about 1hr. I am on the fence about this mod... am debating doing it tomorrow. So... have we as a forum concluded it does indeed improve MPG's? I plan on taking my whole air box off the truck to work, this way I don't have to worry about any debre getting in the engine. I'd like to keep it incase I have warranty or emissions issue in the future.. never know.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:11 PM   #2
GoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to all

Air Force: Load Toad (462/2W1)
Name: Jon
GoBlueFan's Tacoma Gallery
you are waaaaaaaaaaaay overthinking this mod. It's a 1 min removal, and very little to worry about "debris" getting into the engine. Unless you need your toolbox welded shut, it's a slam dunk.

BTW, I got an extra 2.23463678589365623456245 mpg with my removal.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:41 PM   #3
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
If I had it to over again, I'd probably just leave it.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:07 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
If I had it to over again, I'd probably just leave it.
X2. I did it and have seen NO gain what so ever. The 2.7's seem to report gains, but on the 4.0, Nadda!
Old 06-13-2009, 08:46 PM   #5
FL4x4Taco is a glorious beacon of lightFL4x4Taco is a glorious beacon of lightFL4x4Taco is a glorious beacon of lightFL4x4Taco is a glorious beacon of lightFL4x4Taco is a glorious beacon of light
Guess I might as well leave it. Not worth the time.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:07 PM   #6
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I agree. Install an AFE ProdryS and call it a day.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:35 PM   #7
gjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: LAR (Master Gunner/Instructor)
Name: Guy
gjbonner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I agree. Install an AFE ProdryS and call it a day.
X2 this is what i will be doing...i did it and it seemed like it had a lil more ummph but its probly all in my head.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:22 PM   #8
Jag/Nole Fanatic!
Rippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to behold

Name: John
Rippin101's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like I won't be doing it then, hah. Got my K&N filter and I'll call it a day
Old 06-13-2009, 11:25 PM   #9
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rippin101 View Post
Looks like I won't be doing it then, hah. Got my K&N filter and I'll call it a day
Definitely don't do it if you are running a K&N
Old 06-13-2009, 11:27 PM   #10
Jag/Nole Fanatic!
Rippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to behold

Name: John
Rippin101's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
Definitely don't do it if you are running a K&N
Word
Old 06-14-2009, 12:01 AM   #11
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
I wish I would of left it in... no gain, an extra barrier, just incase.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:48 AM   #12
10-4 guys. in it stays.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:04 AM   #13
jeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Active Duty
Name: Jeremie
jeremiekc's Tacoma Gallery
I took mine out and installed an AFE ProDry filter in and have noticed an increase in my mileage and I have a 2.7. Haven't really noticed any improvement or gains in horse power or anything like that. If I were to do it again I probably would do it you never know. I am eventually going to install a CAI any way.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:29 AM   #14
GoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to all

you'll be wasting your money on a CAI on your 2.7L. Use that money on other mods.

The 4.0L has some gains with an intake, but not the 2.7L.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:51 AM   #15
Kylie's dad

Besides the fact that the stock system already IS a CAI.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:59 AM   #16
sierra141 has a spectacular aura aboutsierra141 has a spectacular aura aboutsierra141 has a spectacular aura about
sierra141's Tacoma Gallery
I heard once from a toyota mechanic which he is a dear friend of mine, that if you remove that secondary air filter you would void your warranty in many parts of your engine. Valve train bottom end engine components etc etc. Just FYI
Old 06-14-2009, 12:24 PM   #17
gjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: LAR (Master Gunner/Instructor)
Name: Guy
gjbonner's Tacoma Gallery
I would think that they would have to prove that the problem in the engine was a direct result of that secondary filter not being there.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:31 PM   #18
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
This has to be the most overkill discussion on a simple mod I have ever read
Old 06-14-2009, 12:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra141 View Post
I heard once from a toyota mechanic which he is a dear friend of mine, that if you remove that secondary air filter you would void your warranty in many parts of your engine. Valve train bottom end engine components etc etc. Just FYI

It's an EMISSION filter for unburnt gases. Not an air filter. That's what you have an AIR filter for.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:46 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
This has to be the most overkill discussion on a simple mod I have ever read

no kidding. You'd think it was rocket science being dealt with here.