Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

access cab and toddler car seats

Old 06-14-2009, 01:02 PM   #1
Yota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of light

Yota1's Tacoma Gallery
access cab and toddler car seats

I am thinking about getting a 4 banger 5 speed 4x4 access cab. It looks like there is plenty of room to have a car seat back there, especially on the passenger side, that seat seems to have like 2 feet of movement.

Any one doing this? My son is almost 2, so he will be in a booster type seat soon. There may also be the chance in a year or 2 for a second, so also need to know if the infant carriers and seat base fit well too.

This would be a second vehicle, I have a work truck, and my wife has a jetta, so the truck for me is like a 3000 mile a year vehicle, but I don't want to through down all the coin for a double cab if the access cab will do all that i want. There wont be any one but my son and probably my dog back there. This is basically a day care pick up if needed, and around town on my days off. a small trailer and fire wood hauler would be most of its duties, as well as getting me to some fishing spots.

obviously it will be a tight fit, but if anyone is doing this, can you post a pic of what it looks like, I haven't been able to coordinate and be at the dealer with e jetta and the car seat, without my son, to try and do this.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:08 PM   #2
College.
PatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt/6153 - CH-53E Airframe/Hydraulics Mechanic, HMH-464, MAG 29, 2nd MAW
Name: Pat
PatHLC128's Tacoma Gallery
i dont have any pics but ive had a full size infant seat in my access cab many times. its a very tight fit for the person (if there is one) sitting in the passenger seat but it is possible. i would imagine a toddler car seat would be no problem at all but i dont have any experience with one yet. and welcome to TW
Old 06-14-2009, 01:11 PM   #3
MMMMM Taco's
Taco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taco-NB's Tacoma Gallery
Can't you just put his chair on the front seat and turn off the air bag? Isn't that what the air bag switch is for? Then you can stuff his seat behind the passenger seat when you don't need it.

Cheers.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:26 PM   #4
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
That's exactly what it's for, but I'm presuming he'd rather the seat go in the back due to the mother of his child riding shotgun.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:30 PM   #5
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco-NB View Post
Can't you just put his chair on the front seat and turn off the air bag? Isn't that what the air bag switch is for? Then you can stuff his seat behind the passenger seat when you don't need it.

Cheers.
Crazy canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
That's exactly what it's for, but I'm presuming he'd rather the seat go in the back due to the mother of his child riding shotgun.
Crazy...oh wait
Old 06-14-2009, 01:54 PM   #7
glennv is on a distinguished road
glennv's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's what the long bed is for. Wife in the long bed, kid up front. In RI it's illegal to let your dog ride in the bed unharnessed but not a human being.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:02 PM   #8
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly, I'd consider a double cab. If your son is almost 2 now and you are planning on having a second child soon, your family will outgrow an extended cab very quickly. These trucks last a very long time. If it within your reach, consider the double.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:13 PM   #9
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
I tried a car seat in the ac for my son and he didn't have much room at all. I hate so see when he gets older and bigger. I went with the double cab and have no regrets.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:50 PM   #10
Yota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of light

Yota1's Tacoma Gallery
being that it is not going to be the main ride, i think it may be ok. I am getting selfish as I get older, and don't want someone else's headaches with a used vehicle. So looking new, and looking cheap, (deals are way better too)
but if needed, be able to haul the wife and my son if needed around town. no long distance with everyone packed in there, but i guess if needed, the car seat up front might work ok, or even better.

i sat in the passenger seat with it as far forward as comfortable, and there was quite a bit of rear room on the passenger side.