1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

access cab and toddler car seats

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Yota1, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Jun 14, 2009 at 12:02 PM
    Yota1

Yota1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I am thinking about getting a 4 banger 5 speed 4x4 access cab. It looks like there is plenty of room to have a car seat back there, especially on the passenger side, that seat seems to have like 2 feet of movement.

Any one doing this? My son is almost 2, so he will be in a booster type seat soon. There may also be the chance in a year or 2 for a second, so also need to know if the infant carriers and seat base fit well too.

This would be a second vehicle, I have a work truck, and my wife has a jetta, so the truck for me is like a 3000 mile a year vehicle, but I don't want to through down all the coin for a double cab if the access cab will do all that i want. There wont be any one but my son and probably my dog back there. This is basically a day care pick up if needed, and around town on my days off. a small trailer and fire wood hauler would be most of its duties, as well as getting me to some fishing spots.

obviously it will be a tight fit, but if anyone is doing this, can you post a pic of what it looks like, I haven't been able to coordinate and be at the dealer with e jetta and the car seat, without my son, to try and do this.

2. Jun 14, 2009 at 12:08 PM
    PatHLC128

PatHLC128 College.

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 AC
    OME complete 3" kit, 265/75/16 Cooper STTs, Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Shrockworks sliders, UWS Low Pro Toolbox, AFE Pro-Dry S, OEM Bedmat, Ventvisors, Husky Liners, Tint, De-badged
    i dont have any pics but ive had a full size infant seat in my access cab many times. its a very tight fit for the person (if there is one) sitting in the passenger seat but it is possible. i would imagine a toddler car seat would be no problem at all but i dont have any experience with one yet. and welcome to TW

3. Jun 14, 2009 at 12:11 PM
    Taco-NB

Taco-NB MMMMM Taco's

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 SR5 Access Cab V6 - Black Sand Pearl
    Can't you just put his chair on the front seat and turn off the air bag? Isn't that what the air bag switch is for? Then you can stuff his seat behind the passenger seat when you don't need it.

Cheers.

4. Jun 14, 2009 at 12:26 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    That's exactly what it's for, but I'm presuming he'd rather the seat go in the back due to the mother of his child riding shotgun.

5. Jun 14, 2009 at 12:30 PM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    Crazy canadian

Crazy...oh wait

6. Jun 14, 2009 at 12:43 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
  7. Jun 14, 2009 at 12:54 PM
    glennv

glennv Well-Known Member

Member:
    That's what the long bed is for. Wife in the long bed, kid up front. In RI it's illegal to let your dog ride in the bed unharnessed but not a human being.

8. Jun 14, 2009 at 1:02 PM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    Honestly, I'd consider a double cab. If your son is almost 2 now and you are planning on having a second child soon, your family will outgrow an extended cab very quickly. These trucks last a very long time. If it within your reach, consider the double.

9. Jun 14, 2009 at 1:13 PM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    I tried a car seat in the ac for my son and he didn't have much room at all. I hate so see when he gets older and bigger. I went with the double cab and have no regrets.

10. Jun 15, 2009 at 2:50 PM
    Yota1

Yota1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    being that it is not going to be the main ride, i think it may be ok. I am getting selfish as I get older, and don't want someone else's headaches with a used vehicle. So looking new, and looking cheap, (deals are way better too)
    but if needed, be able to haul the wife and my son if needed around town. no long distance with everyone packed in there, but i guess if needed, the car seat up front might work ok, or even better.

i sat in the passenger seat with it as far forward as comfortable, and there was quite a bit of rear room on the passenger side.

Products Discussed in

To Top