Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tire Pressure Check Engine Light

Old 06-14-2009, 03:02 PM   #1
wilsonpj is a jewel in the roughwilsonpj is a jewel in the roughwilsonpj is a jewel in the rough
Name: Pete
wilsonpj's Tacoma Gallery
Tire Pressure Check Engine Light

Anyone know anything about a broken sensor that monitors the tire pressure. Sensor is broken needs replacing. CEL is flashing.

Where is the sensor located? How much for a new one? etc..?

Thanks
Old 06-14-2009, 03:06 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
If the Check Engine light is flashing, you have a different issue. Go have the code read.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:37 PM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
TPMS and Check Engine light are two different things.

This is the TPMS fault light

Below is the Check Engine light - If you have this lit up, you need to go to Autozone (or dealer) and have them pull the fault codes out of the computer. Report back to us and let us know what you find out.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:00 PM   #5
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
The CEL doesn't blink. The TPMS light will blink if you have a bad sensor on one of the tires. They are located in the vale assembly. You will have to go to the dealer in order to fix it.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:34 AM   #6
wilsonpj is a jewel in the roughwilsonpj is a jewel in the roughwilsonpj is a jewel in the rough
It is the TPMS. It is flashing. It is on a truck I am looking at buying. The seller said he would look into what the issue is and let me know.

I'm just trying to do my homework.

He had stated that one of the sensors was broken and needed replacement.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:37 AM   #7
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonpj View Post
It is the TPMS. It is flashing. It is on a truck I am looking at buying. The seller said he would look into what the issue is and let me know.

I'm just trying to do my homework.

He had stated that one of the sensors was broken and needed replacement.

That sounds legit. At least he is beiing honest with you. If the light is on solid, that means one of the 5 (yes, including the spare except on the 09's) is low on air. On the drivers side door is a sticker that tells you what the presurres need to be at. Those are the minimum pressures for the sensors. Of course, use your tire manufacturer recommended pressures.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:33 AM   #8
Any ideas on cost, time, effort to get it fixed?
Old 06-15-2009, 09:34 AM   #9

Marines:
No clue. It is a dealership thing. It is really not a huge concern unless the blinking light bothers you.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:48 AM   #10
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonpj View Post
Any ideas on cost, time, effort to get it fixed?
As far as I know, it's part of the valve/valve stem.

You'll probably have to dismount the tire, remove the old sensor and put in a new one, remount the tire and probably have that tire rebalanced.

Definately tell that guy to get that fixed BEFORE you commit to buying the truck.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:44 PM   #11
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry for a partial thread jack, but my sensor has been on since I bought it over a year and half ago. All the tires are inflated to proper spec including the spare. However the spare is a different tire and thus inflated to a different pressure. Do all the tires need to be at the same PSI or do they all have to be at the door jam recommended PSI to get rid of this fucking light?

I've tried everything including resetting the tire sensor thingy.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:26 PM   #12
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
Sorry for a partial thread jack, but my sensor has been on since I bought it over a year and half ago. All the tires are inflated to proper spec including the spare. However the spare is a different tire and thus inflated to a different pressure. Do all the tires need to be at the same PSI or do they all have to be at the door jam recommended PSI to get rid of this fucking light?

I've tried everything including resetting the tire sensor thingy.

I would assume so. If all the sensors are the same throughout the system, then they would have to be. The sensors however, are nothing more than switches. Get a different sensor that switches at a different pressure and maybe you have a solution... who knows?
Old 06-15-2009, 03:27 PM   #13

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
As far as I know, it's part of the valve/valve stem.

You'll probably have to dismount the tire, remove the old sensor and put in a new one, remount the tire and probably have that tire rebalanced.

Definately tell that guy to get that fixed BEFORE you commit to buying the truck.
The ECU needs to be reprogrammed with the new sensor.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:57 PM   #14
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
The ECU needs to be reprogrammed with the new sensor.
It's an FM transmitter/receiver type system right? So, would that mean the new sensor has its own frequency the ECU has to 'learn'?
Old 06-15-2009, 04:25 PM   #15
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
It's an FM transmitter/receiver type system right? So, would that mean the new sensor has its own frequency the ECU has to 'learn'?
What I have been told is each sensor has a code that is programmed into the tpms ecu, if yours breaks and gets replaced the old sensor code needs to be removed and the new one inputted via a special tool. The ecu only can store 5 codes in the case of 06-08. Not sure about the 09s since they only have 4 sensors guess they get a free pass on one code?

The codes are stamped on the black butterfly looking thingy that hangs out on the other side of the valve stem inside the tire. You gotta remember to write down these codes for they are not recorded anywhere so I'm told.

To a point imo its a racket, 4 of my sensors are on my steel wheels/winter tires stored under a tarp in the backyard. Spare sensor is still in place. Alloys with no sensors are on truck. As long as I stay "in range" more or less 40ish miles no light. After that blinky light. One of Neon's Tacomaworld business cards fits perfectly covering up the idiot light until it resets on its own in my driveway.

Good luck to the OP have seller fix on their dime!
Old 06-15-2009, 06:46 PM   #16
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
The CEL doesn't blink.
Trust me it does blink. That's when you need to see what the hell is causing it then. Mine did it with misfire in multiple cylinders. Was on solid with misfire in a single cylinder.

Murph
Old 06-15-2009, 06:47 PM   #17

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by medic2230 View Post
Trust me it does blink. That's when you need to see what the hell is causing it then. Mine did it with misfire in multiple cylinders. Was on solid with misfire in a single cylinder.

Murph
I think that is the first time I have ever heard that. Thanks for the info.