Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Removal/Installation of Rear Bumper

Old 06-14-2009, 04:18 PM   #1
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Removal/Installation of Rear Bumper

Easier than expected, you'll need just a few tools and the hands of at least 2 other friends.
Here's the scoop with our "Bumper Swap."
Edrin55 / 09 Tacoma Access Cab w/ no hitch. This truck is not a PreRunner.
Before Picture

Rpparkster / 09 Tacoma 4x4 Double Cab
Before Picture

Before you start, unplug the lights from both sides of the license plate. They should turn down and pull out.

Tools needed. Plus a flat head screw driver.

3/4 Wrench to hold the nut from moving while using the 3/4 socket on the top. This is in the middle of the bumper above the hitch.

Use a flathead screw driver to pop up those little squares up from the inside (closest to the license plate) and lift up. They do not pop straight up. Lift the center round section of that pop-in thing to pop it out.

In addition to that, there are two more small bolts under the cover (underneath). You'll need a 10mm socket to remove those two.

11/16 socket for the remaining 4 bolts (2 on each side). There are a lot of bolts under there. Remove the two closest to the bumper. If yours are the same as these, they will be black in color while the other ones are in silver. Remember, this is from the Double Cab with a hitch.

The brackets holding the rear bumper are different on that of a NON-PRERUNNER. However, the pattern (the two bolts being removed on each side) is the same. Remove the two closest to the bumper. Notice these are not black like the others.

Once the bolts are removed, it will take at least two people to remove the bumper away from the truck EVENLY.
Once it's off, you'll need the support of your friends to push in the bumper back in place. It's a little tough. Use gloves and a rubber mallet if you have it handy. If not, it's ok. Just be careful to not hit the truck as you're putting/pushing it back in.

Edrin55's new look!

Rpparkster's new look!

Be careful not to bend these tabs.

Another successful mod. Thanks for looking.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:25 PM   #2
rpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to behold

Name: Roger
rpparkster's Tacoma Gallery
That looks so familiar. Nice write up, feel like I was actually there...haha.
Only catch is getting it back on in the clips. It did take a little force and by the time we were putting the second one back on we had it dialed in. If you can't get it to fit, hold one side in and put the other side "on top" of the clip and force it down w/ some weight. Thanks for the pics and great write-up Al.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:01 PM   #4
taco_man is just really nicetaco_man is just really nicetaco_man is just really nicetaco_man is just really nice
Name: Austin
taco_man's Tacoma Gallery
you still have the crome bumper???
Old 08-09-2009, 10:18 PM   #5
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Good post, getting it off and back in was a PITA with oakleyTRD and myself...

One thing I'll mention that might be a wise idea (even though we didn't do it), taking out the rear tails might make for a better piece of mind because when you're pulling on it that hard and trying to put it back in... more than a couple of times we came close to ramming the bumper into one of the tails.

Oh yea, color matched BSP ftw
Old 08-09-2009, 10:18 PM   #6
A.K.A slosurfer
TuRDVan is on a distinguished road

Marines: '97-'01 Asst. Section Leader, 3rd Platoon Echo Company, 3rd Amphibious Assault Battalion, 1st MarDiv
Name: Chris
TuRDVan's Tacoma Gallery
Nice, I just replaced my wife's bumper which was all mangled from an accident. Before I put the new one back on, I took a sledge and hit on the end of the mounts a bit to widen them out a bit. Made putting the new one back in a little easier and then they bend back in as you tighten the bolts. I tightened each side a little at a time so that it would pull them in evenly.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:17 PM   #7
08 tacoma dirive is on a distinguished road
08 tacoma dirive's Tacoma Gallery
where did that bumper come from some that was made or what i like the looks
Old 08-19-2009, 06:21 PM   #8
06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Colin
06BLUEDBLSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Great job W8n4mud!!! you did an awesome job
Old 08-20-2009, 12:21 AM   #10
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco_man View Post
you still have the crome bumper???
Edrin still has the Chrome bumper. We even installed an SR5 badge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06BLUEDBLSPORT View Post
Great job W8n4mud!!! you did an awesome job
Thank you. Rpparkster did help. It was a learning experience for all of us.

Good point to bring up about the lights. I remember we were close too, but we knew to keep it away and push down at the same time.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:22 AM   #11
Betty White Edition Heep ZJ
jonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jonny's Tacoma Gallery

will be using this write up tomorrow morning. finally found someone to trade me their black bumper for my chrome
Old 09-04-2009, 11:39 AM   #12
"Let's Ride!"
Padilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant future

Name: Daniel
Padilla1880's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnysrt2004 View Post

will be using this write up tomorrow morning. finally found someone to trade me their black bumper for my chrome
Thought you were gonna get that color matched one from that guy in vegas, who was gonna bring it down since his fam is in CA.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:46 AM   #13
jonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jonny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padilla1880 View Post
Thought you were gonna get that color matched one from that guy in vegas, who was gonna bring it down since his fam is in CA.
i hit him up twice in the thread, but he never replied. then later on her said he bought it and it has some scratches. by that time it was too late. miscommunication i guess. he was gonna get it painted and mont it on his truck
oh wellz
Old 09-04-2009, 12:54 PM   #14
There's a mod for that!

w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

That makes me feel good!!! LD
Old 09-04-2009, 12:56 PM   #15
"Let's Ride!"
Padilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant future

Quote:
i hit him up twice in the thread, but he never replied. then later on her said he bought it and it has some scratches. by that time it was too late. miscommunication i guess. he was gonna get it painted and mont it on his truck
oh wellz
Dang that sucks! Oh well you got a nice black one now.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:11 PM   #17
R.A.M.F (R@D A$$ MUTHA FU$KA)
RAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sir_Rad
RAD's Tacoma Gallery
^ Color Match FTW Jon. No debating. I had a black SR5 bumper and loved it. Then I got a color matched one and NEVER looked back.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:28 PM   #18

jonny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
Im still debating black vs silver
i'm gonna try black for awhile. i willpost pics. then eventually color matched
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrayzian View Post
^ Color Match FTW Jon. No debating. I had a black SR5 bumper and loved it. Then I got a color matched one and NEVER looked back.
i knoooooooooow
your colormatched looks clean Ray!
Old 10-11-2009, 11:53 AM   #19
"Let's Ride!"

Nice write-up Al! Success on my new black bumper courtesy of TritonDrew!
Old 10-11-2009, 01:18 PM   #20
DblD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
DblD's Tacoma Gallery
If anyone is interested in a black bumper and can’t find someone to swap with, you can purchase the bumper “skin” from these folks www.toyotapartsbarn.com. The part No. is 5215104907 and runs about $164.00 plus shipping. Unlike what you describe in this thread, the above mentioned part is more just the outer bumper skin – no structural pieces are attached and you will have to use your existing brackets, corner supports, and plastic finish pieces. The bumper comes in a black primer ready to paint the color of your choice. I just replaced the chrome bumper that I had torn up, here’s the link to the thread.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/55776-first-body-damage.html

dd