1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Finally got my ride!!! (also question on alarms)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by EricT, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Jun 14, 2009 at 9:58 PM
    EricT

EricT [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    '09 4x4 shortbed TRD Sport
    One day later than expected, my mag gray quad cab/shortbed/4x/trd sport rolls up. Yay! That is one sexy truck.

So I'm running through my list of stuff to do - looks like I'm gonna try to pick up an undercover tonneau here soon, gotta tint it, getting some step tubes, and hey wait a minute... I have remote entry but no alarm! I never considered to check if these things came with an alarm.

Curious to know how difficult an alarm install is, and I'm looking for 2 recommendations - what is a good basic alarm that will slave with the existing keyless entry, and what's a good alarm that has all the bells and whistles - 2 way, remote starter, that sort of thing.

Before anyone asks...

[​IMG]

Got a screaming deal on it (I think) over $4200 below sticker, and the saleswoman I dealt with was nothing but awesome the entire time. Never any arguing/haggling, price included all fees AND transport to my doorstep. I'm in AZ and I bought it from a Cali dealership, so I get to go register it tomorrow and pay taxes out of pocket myself. Should be interesting... DMV will like that check!

2. Jun 14, 2009 at 10:08 PM
    tmkpres

tmkpres Member

Member:
    So. Cal
    Vehicle:
    n/a
    NIce what dealer in cali did you get it at ?

3. Jun 14, 2009 at 10:10 PM
    Canadianboy

Canadianboy Taco love in East Van

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport S/B 4x4 Auto in Mag Grey
    Icon Stage 3, Goodyear Duratracs and KMC Addicts!
    Sweeeeet! Thats the exact same truck I just bought - I'm still waiting for it though, about a week. This truck, in this combination is hard to find! What did you pay out the door? I paid $26,995 out the door. In regards to the alarm, I'm pretty sure you have one. A good way to check - roll down your front window, get out of the truck and lock the doors with your remote. Wait about 3 minutes, then stick your hand through the window and open the truck from the inside, while standing beside it. The alarm should go off. Congrats on the truck! I can't wait for mine!

4. Jun 14, 2009 at 10:11 PM
    tmkpres

tmkpres Member

Member:
    So. Cal
    Vehicle:
    n/a
    Opps and for your alarm question, I guess a good choice would be the viper 5901. I have the older one, with the pager system and LOVE it !

5. Jun 14, 2009 at 10:28 PM
    Kenny650

Kenny650 Well-Known Member

Member:
    OEM VIP Toyota Alarm

6. Jun 14, 2009 at 10:43 PM
    EricT

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Gonna try to answer everyone here-

Dealership is - Toyota of the Desert, in cathedral city (basically Palm Springs) and they will deliver anywhere. Paid 27400 OTD, but I still owe tax and license in my own state here. Basically it's the Quad cab 4x4 short bed, with the TRD sport/jbl audio package, and Tow package included. I can not say enough good things about my purchase experience, it was so good it was just wierd. They even had to dealer trade to get this color and still gave me a rockin deal.

As I read the manual I have "theft prevention" which is an accurate name for it. Keys are encoded, so they cant steal it, but I'm looking for a full system that keeps people from breaking in and stealing stuff inside. Or at least making them uncomfortable from the noise while they do it!

Here's to hoping the local undercover dealer has my size in stock tomorrow..

7. Jun 14, 2009 at 10:59 PM
    Canadianboy

Canadianboy Taco love in East Van

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport S/B 4x4 Auto in Mag Grey
    Icon Stage 3, Goodyear Duratracs and KMC Addicts!
    Oops, meant to put $26,995 as my price paid, but I do not have the JBL/Bluetooth.

8. Jun 14, 2009 at 11:05 PM
    RZL

RZL buy 100% Kona coffee.

Member:
    Big Island
    Vehicle:
    '08 4x4 TRD O/R dub cab
    small kine
    Nice truck! Good color choice!

9. Jun 14, 2009 at 11:09 PM
    EricT

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Still not a bad price. Another fun point about Cali dealers, doc fees are capped at about $40. Here in Arizona there is no such law, the average doc fee is $400. Paying tax should be interesting as well, our average tax is 8%, but if you buy it out of state you pay the state tax of 5.3% when you register. It's up to the county to bill you for the rest, and apparently a lot of people slip through the cracks.

In the meantime I have no temporary registration of any kind, just dealer advertisement plates. Yeesh.

Editing to add-

This was my first color choice, but it's the same color as the wifes car... then I discovered pyrite, but they're so rare that it's hard to grab one up and negotiate a good price. I had, at one point, 3 dealers in a price war all trying to dealer trade from another place down the street from the guys I ended up buying from. Due to the sudden "overwhelming demand" I created, they figured out they had a rare bird and refused to dealer trade. They also think they're gonna get sticker price for it! I called em and explained it was just me... they didnt care. So no pyrite for me. But I love my gray so I don't care.

10. Jun 15, 2009 at 4:12 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    My taco has keyless entry and an alarm you can set off with the panic button from the keychain remote....I'm assuming that alarm is active any time the vehicle is locked...The manual doesn't give much in the way of details.

11. Jun 15, 2009 at 5:50 AM
    EricT

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    See that's what I am trying to figure out. I don't see anything talking about an actual alarm, just anti theft. Near as I can tell, nobody can steal your truck - but there isn't much in the way of them popping a door/breaking a window and stealing your belongings.

12. Jun 15, 2009 at 5:54 AM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    :wave: Nice looking truck. :thumbsup:
    I had an AutoPage alarm installed.

13. Jun 30, 2009 at 11:25 AM
    EricT

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Just pulled the trigger on a viper 5901 with the immobilizer, glass breakage sensor, and tilt sensor, 330$ shipped. If anyone is interested pm me and I will let you know the site and coupon code I used - unless it's cool to do that here? I will start a thread on the actual installation once I successfully pull that off.

14. Jun 30, 2009 at 11:27 AM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Congrats...

15. Jun 30, 2009 at 11:30 AM
    ST77

ST77 Wandering doesn't mean you're lost

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Sandy, Or
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR DCSB
    Bone Stock
    Nice Lookin' truck... Congrats!

16. Jun 30, 2009 at 11:32 AM
    Blueridge

Blueridge Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great color choice! I've had my MGM DC for a few weeks now. They are beautiful :cheers:

17. Jun 30, 2009 at 11:34 AM
    XB81

XB81 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Hidalgo,TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    Diff Breather Mod, tint, light bar
    Thats sweet looking truck! All I know when I picked up my 09, the alarm was already included.....super sensitive when Im washing it, too.

18. Jun 30, 2009 at 11:41 AM
    EricT

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, most dealers install a basic alarm. Mine came off the factory truck about 8 days before I picked it up, nobody had time to install a cheapo alarm. Factory keyed entry only. That's okay, now I got a slick alarm with remote starter on it's way. Now if I could make the stereo display flash "loitering" like the batmobile, I would be in business..

19. Jun 30, 2009 at 2:01 PM
    Diablo

Diablo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD
    I have a Titan alarm/Starter combo works awsome, 2 way all that jazz. Pretty sure its rebranded as a bunch of different names though .

20. Jun 30, 2009 at 2:07 PM
    EricT

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    I just talked to a local installer here - fyi, he wants 55$ an hour for 4-6 hours to drop in my alarm. Plus he has all the crimps n whatnot. Anyhow, the company that makes the modules that everyones stuff runs on - they make the alarms too. According to him, 90% of the stuff on the market, viper, python etc etc is just rebranded from the same source. Direct whatever. So we probably all have pretty much the same alarms!

Products Discussed in

To Top