1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transmission lag in 09' - update

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by JPinCowtown, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Dec 16, 2009 at 7:13 PM
    chris craft

chris craft New Member

Member:
    northern il
    Vehicle:
    09 trd gray
    Do you think they are using ladder logic in there programming of the transmission?

2. Dec 22, 2009 at 5:41 PM
    stormyday

stormyday Well-Known Member

Member:
    Morganton, NC
    Vehicle:
    14 Taco Double Cab Pre-Runner
    I also had my 09 done today. I made an appointment 2 weeks ago. When I got there they did not want to do it so I started to trow a fit. They told me that they only had 1 tech at the dealership today and he did not have time to do it. Then they started to remove it off my order. That is when I pulled out my BlackBerry and showed the e-mail confirmation from the dealership to have it done today. I got it back after 2 hours. They also had to do the 35K service + Tire Rotation + I wanted more nitro in the tires (They only put 30 PSI so my tires always look flat. 35 PSI looks much better.)

3. Dec 22, 2009 at 6:11 PM
    Old Soul

Old Soul Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 AC V6 SR5 2WD SWB
    not to many, love it the way it is
    ^ That is great that you got it done, How does it drive now ?

4. Dec 30, 2009 at 2:08 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    Got mine today while in for my 5k mile service. They did it no questions asked explained what it was doing and said I knew there was a TSB about it and that was that. Glad I didn't have to throw a fit.

5. Dec 30, 2009 at 2:58 PM
    Razorecko

Razorecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 Pyrite DCLB TRD Supercharged
    i'm actually in a tough spot. My trans is shifting really finicky now and went to get the TSB done on my '09....problem is that i have a trd blower and it has a different tune than normal from the factory. I need a special oem "trd" tune to work on my taco as the tsb wont upload since the ecu was reflashed for the blower....I hope that my blower and the poor shifting program doesnt 'lunch' my tranny soon.

6. Dec 30, 2009 at 3:41 PM
    lightfire

lightfire Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mine has done this a couple of times. Are you saying just check the fluid - may be 1 qt low?

7. Dec 30, 2009 at 5:52 PM
    Old Soul

Old Soul Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 AC V6 SR5 2WD SWB
    not to many, love it the way it is
    The dealer can check it for you, explain to the dealer that you have heard loud clunking while putting the truck in gear. The tranny has to be at a certain temperature to determine the fluid level, probably best to let the dealer look at it...

8. Dec 30, 2009 at 6:38 PM
    chileno4life

chileno4life Active Member

Member:
    Brandy Station, VA/ Goldsboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma SR5 TRD Sport
  9. Dec 30, 2009 at 6:55 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
  10. Dec 30, 2009 at 10:47 PM
    stormyday

stormyday Well-Known Member

Member:
    Morganton, NC
    Vehicle:
    14 Taco Double Cab Pre-Runner
    Another thing that is a big plus is that I can use my cruise without my truck revving and down shifting to keep the speed.

11. Dec 31, 2009 at 5:45 AM
    kws129

kws129 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road Double Cab
    Got the TSB done Tuesday - wow what a difference, I realized I had adjusted my driving to fit the wierd shifting transmission. If you have an 09 Tacoma and have not had this done I would highly recommend it.

12. Jan 1, 2010 at 12:02 PM
    Cwhitt09taco

Cwhitt09taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab Tacoma TRD Offroad 4wd
    Stock for now. Bfg at's, aries bull bar, aries nerf bars, uws tool box.
    Got the TSB done Thrusday, man its like a whole different truck now!!

13. Jan 14, 2010 at 8:56 PM
    odoodaday

odoodaday Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner
    Tinted Windows, Weather Tech Custom Mats & Window Vents , Nasta Nerf Bars, Access Tonneau, Chrome Grille, Bully Bull Bar, Tailgate extender, Light Bar
    Okay all, I took my prerunner in for 5k oil change. I had gotten the info about the fix. I had gone in for a pit-stop after driving for 60 days and told them about the trans. problem. They said if it continued they would take a look when I got oil change. So I get bulletin right in time for oil change. I call, set up appointment and I tell em I want my truck fixed and about the TSB. The guy gets all pissy...he says "WELL just cause you got that doesn't mean you need a fix. Bring it in and IF we can duplicate it, we will fix it." So...being the Arky I am flaming inside...I said in my real sweet southern drawl "Ya know, if you don't drive my truck everyday you might not be able to DUPLICATE it, however I really don't care if can or not--the bottom line is I expected it to be fixed" and hung up. When I get there...new guy is nice and I tell him right up front what I expect and remind him of me ASKING him about the problem a month ago--and in a VERY nice manner. I tell him, "if you don't fix it and I drive it off the lot and it does it again--you won't like me throwing a fit in your show room. So I come back to pick up truck. He tells me that it DID stall--lag--not shift---what ever you call it when they test drove it. They re-flashed for me. They also documented it on my ticket...which I will keep! So now...I am feeling good. The guy from the phone calls to me from the back and says and hem haws about how people just want them to fix everything just cause they get a service bulletin. I replied, "Where I come from, it it ain't broke--don't fix it--because really and truly--I don't WANT you working on my truck! So I go get in truck...they got black grease on carpet by gas peddle. My GPS thrown in passenger seat. Dash a mess. Passenger seat pushed all the way forward. Drivers seat pushed all the way back...just f@#$up inside. I flamed! Anyway...since everything was moved all around including the back of the seat, I had to re-adjust my driving position so it just felt different--foot wasn't same distance from peddle just awkward. So far it has worked fine. I don't think it shifts the same. It seems less responsive...not as much pickup in low gear at first on a jackrabbit start. I went to my places that it was notorious for reving/lagging nowhere and so far it works...it's more of a slower shift--slower meaning less power surge-- but no high revs and the forward motion continues instead of that 3 or 4 sec stall feeling. So far, better than the other and I am getting use to the way it feels and drives. It is an improvement so far.

14. Jan 15, 2010 at 4:38 AM
    ee-lee

ee-lee Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    I actually didn't know the shifting issue was a common thing. Since I bought my 09 in August it occassionally seemed as though the transmission was slipping when it shifted between 1st & 2nd. At first i though it was my imagination because it always happened when I left the house at 5:00 AM to go to work. At any rate I found out about the service bulletin and took it in last week. What a difference, they flashed it no questions asked and it really did make a difference.

15. Jan 15, 2010 at 6:46 AM
    nighthawk87

nighthawk87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Does this work for 08s? Mine does this too

16. Jan 15, 2010 at 6:14 PM
    tuckr2

tuckr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver dbl cab LB 4x4 It's Purdy too!
    LT265/70/17 BFG A/T's, Disabled Seat Belt Buzzer, Black and Gray Covercraft Seat Covers front and rear, Matching SnugTop Supersport Canopy, undercoat, bed mat, window vent shades. Black Weathertech Liners. Trans TSB, Rear Spring TSB Installed.
    2010 Taco Double Cab
    After reading all the posts I recently began paying attention to the shift issues. Mine were exactly as stated above when I slowed at corners and then went to accelerate the trans just seemed to lag.
    Yesterday I called my local dealer and spoke with a service rep. Explained my problem. He seemed noncommittal on the phone. Figured I was going to get hassled. Took the TSB with me in my pocket the next day but didn't get it out. Told the service rep the same story. While I was there I also figured I would ask about the rear spring issue on another TSB. Told him I had noticed the rough ride and bottoming out over speed bumps carrying 5-600 lbs in the bed.
    Dealer had me wait for about an hour while they checked both issues. Came back at the end of the hour and told me they had recalibrated the trans and that they had found a TSB for the springs and would call when they came in. I was shocked and profoundly happy that I didn't have to argue with the dealership. Thank you Toyota and Thank You very much Tacoma World.
    For the many of you who think there trans is fine. I did too. But after recalibrating it I can tell you it should shift smooth as butter through the gears going up and down. If it appears to shift hard, or if when slowing down below 20mph and then accelerating it appear to hesitate, it may have the same issue. I love how it shifts and certainly hope the spring issue goes as smoothly. Ken[​IMG]

17. Jan 15, 2010 at 6:26 PM
    weidjd

weidjd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '10 DC TRD OR 4x
    Saw COs/RR,TSB + 1.5AAl, LR UCAs
    Same as my story. Thought it would be a hassle when talking on the phone to them. When I got there it was nothing, parts are ordered and will be put on this coming week. The shifting really easy to tell. It just seems like the trans does not know what gear to be in. So the engine revs up and you are not moving. Almost like it slips but that is not what is happening. Hope this takes care of that.

18. Jan 31, 2010 at 8:55 PM
    RTG

RTG Well-Known Member

Member:
    League City, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport SRR5, Long Bed
    6" Fabtech Dirt Logic, PA15-TOY IPOD adapter, UltraGauge, CravenSpeed 2" antena, 17x9 Moto Metal Wheels, 35sx12.5 Yokohama Geolander M/T tires, Removed second filter, Pop&Lock, Bed Extender, Bug Deflector, Grill Craft, Two 12" Rockford Fosgate punch sub enclosure, Kicker Amp, 5902 Viper Remote start, Tint (20% all around), Power Slot Rotor, NFAB Step Bars, AFE Pro Dry S Air Filter, Wet Okole seat covers, akebono brake pads, Foglights Mod,Bushwacker fender flares,Homeblaster trainhorn.
    my 2006 does it and it's really annoying. Come on Toyota!!!

19. Feb 26, 2010 at 11:01 AM
    odoodaday

odoodaday Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner
    Tinted Windows, Weather Tech Custom Mats & Window Vents , Nasta Nerf Bars, Access Tonneau, Chrome Grille, Bully Bull Bar, Tailgate extender, Light Bar
    Just an update. The truck is shifting and running much better after the re-flash. However being the librarian that I am I kept searching for info about the recalls and now they have included recalling the 09-for the sticky gas pedal, mat problem, power surge that has been killing folks with the big Toyota debacle. I really think such a shame since our problems seem related to the electronics as well.

20. Feb 28, 2010 at 8:39 PM
    mccawi02

mccawi02 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Delmar, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4X4 TRD OFFRD
    Yup. Got the same problem on my 09. Love the truck otherwise. I'll be eager for an update to the tranny for this issue. Until then I'm changing my driving habits a bit.

Products Discussed in

To Top