Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Braking pulls truck to the right

Old 06-16-2009, 12:52 PM   #1
EricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EricT's Tacoma Gallery
Braking pulls truck to the right

Hey all-

Just noticed an interesting thing on the way to the store - if I push the brakes with some force, the truck pulls right - hard. Spins the steering wheel. Is there any basic adjustment I can do myself? I haven't time to pull it into the dealer for about a week or so.

It's not so bad I'm worried about driving it, but if it's something I can adjust myself, or check, I would love to do so.

Anything else I can check - just ask!

Thanks!
Old 06-16-2009, 01:17 PM   #2
alexe is on a distinguished road
alexe's Tacoma Gallery
theres a good chance your left caliper is seized up. either the slider pins or the caliper itself.

take the wheel off, pull the pads out and grease the pins. then see if you can manually compress the caliper with a large set of channel locks or similar
Old 06-16-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
EricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EricT's Tacoma Gallery
That makes sense - I was thinking along the lines of the left brake just not working. Which could end badly, were I on the freeway and had to slam it to avoid an accident. Yeesh!

Time for round one of truck maintenance. I'll check that and let you guys know what I find.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:23 PM   #4
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I'd start with the easiest fixes first. Try checking all of your air pressures.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:36 PM   #6
EricT's Tacoma Gallery
Haha, nothing goblue. Haven't modified/changed a single thing.

Haven't checked/aired tires either. Gonna fire up the compressor, do that first.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:41 PM   #7
GoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to all

Air Force: Load Toad (462/2W1)
Name: Jon
GoBlueFan's Tacoma Gallery
not meant to imply you were doing anything wrong, just looking for reasons that might cause it.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:59 PM   #8
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
If the caliper seized, don't they usually seize when they're locked? My civics just seized a little bit ago and I knew it because I was smoking by the time I got home. just wondering.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:07 PM   #9
EricT's Tacoma Gallery
Well, this turned out to be a minor issue. Adjusted my tire pressures, ran it up and down the block, stomped on the brake like my mother jumped in front of the truck - didn't pull a hair.

Tire pressures were even all around. Hey thanks guys! Also to whoever was the chucklefuck that thought I needed 40psi all around - eat a tack. (showed up this way, thanks factory worker guy!)

No wonder it felt a little stiff! Haha. Thanks for the help guys, brakes seem to be fine now. Gonna shrug it off as excess pressure making a very small balance issue between then brakes become a bigger deal.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:08 PM   #10
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I win!
Old 06-16-2009, 02:20 PM   #11
EricT's Tacoma Gallery
You got the powerup to win the game!

Old 06-16-2009, 02:28 PM   #13
matthew5olson is a jewel in the roughmatthew5olson is a jewel in the roughmatthew5olson is a jewel in the rough

Name: matthew
matthew5olson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlueFan View Post
hm...I run 40 psi all the time with the stock tires. No issues at all with it.
I run eighty with no problems....
no seriously
Old 06-16-2009, 03:27 PM   #14
EricT's Tacoma Gallery
Mighta just been a break in thing. It's not pulling now... doing a 2 hour roadtrip here shortly, will test further.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:58 PM   #16
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlueFan View Post
hm...I run 40 psi all the time with the stock tires. No issues at all with it.
Then you must eat a tack.