1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I hope I bought the right truck...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by PT6, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Jun 18, 2009 at 12:39 PM
    PT6

PT6 [OP] Who's flyin this M#$*&! outa here?

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    SR 5 Off Road Magnetic Gray
    Protecta bed mat Undercover toneau cover Weathertech mats Scan guage Rear Leaf TSB Transmission TSB
    It seems there are a LOT of problems with the 09 Tacomas showing up on the web. I reasearched my purhcase for 2+ years and thought I covered all the bases, now I am wondering. If you would have told me that I would end up with a Toyota 2 years ago I would not have believed it. Now it seems that the quality that I did not find in any other manufacture of truck is missing in this one as well. My truck has no issues yet with 2k on it, but who knows what the future now holds? My previous truck was a 92' S10 that has had minimal mechanical issues to date (still got it-runs great at 163k/w LOTS of rust).

If this terible quality control keeps up we are going to be able to merge this site with the one for Dodge Dakotas.

So far I really like this truck. But with the TSB issue and all the various problems this might be my first and last Toyota (hope not).

2. Jun 18, 2009 at 12:41 PM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    I think over time this truck will prove itself to you.

3. Jun 18, 2009 at 12:49 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    The TSBs are for really minor stuff. Don't get me wrong, it'd piss me off if I had any of them, but really, when you consider what goes wrong on other trucks Tacomas have it really minor by comparison. BTW - 07 was the best year. :p

4. Jun 18, 2009 at 12:51 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    yep...until the '08's came out :D

5. Jun 18, 2009 at 12:53 PM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    i think 02 were the best

1st gens for the win!

6. Jun 18, 2009 at 1:15 PM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.

All car companies have technical service bulletins. I work at a Chevy dealer and you should see how many we have. Chevy's reliability has gone up in the last few years, but they still have issues. You can't mass produce something as complicated as a modern motor vehicle and not have some issues. It's amazing new cars are as reliable as they are.

7. Jun 18, 2009 at 1:18 PM
    luni

luni Resident Gun-toting Hippie

Member:
    First Name:
    Burt's Mustache
    Ft Bragg, NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    Icon c/os, TSB 4 leaf pack, Unbreakable Fab tube winch bumper, Mile Marker SEC12000, Roadless Gear winch control panel, Bud Built skids, URD Pipe Bomb Y pipe, snorkeled rear diff breather, no carpet
    People rarely start threads ranting and raving about how well their trucks are running. However people will be quick to post up with problems asking for help or just ranting, those threads tend to get a lot of attention. Given the knowledge base here people might not even be members until they have a problem and come to here to ask a technical question.

With the amount of tacomas sold and the size of the member base in mind, the relatively small amount of threads started complaining about relatively minor issues and the fact that Toyota has acknowledged and provided free repairs for 90% of them I'd say there isn't much to worry about.

In my house, there's a reason we rack up miles on the Tacoma without concern while the Ford sits in the garage collecting dust barely holding on to what resale value it has left.

8. Jun 18, 2009 at 1:23 PM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    Everyone knows that 2003 was the pinnacle year for Tacomas.

9. Jun 18, 2009 at 1:38 PM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    Did you seriously start a thread complaining of issues you don't even have with your truck yet?

You bought an awesome truck and you should hate yourself for even having the slightest doubt in your mind. I'm not saying that because I am Toyota for life. I have an 09 and have posted some threads about the trucks quirks (clunk when stopping, brake assist, engine tick, rear leaf pack, etc). But I still believe my truck is superior in quality to any of the other options on the market.

And you are only seeing the rant threads and rarely the rave threads. Go spend a few hours on forums for other manufacturers and look at some of the more serious issues their trucks have.

Now go kick yourself in the head and enjoy the awesome truck!

10. Jun 18, 2009 at 1:43 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    So far so good with my 09. The ticking you knew about if you have been looking for two years. The rear TSB I'm not going to worry about. So far my trips to the garden department it has not caused a problem, I had 25 bags of bark with no sag.
    What are the TSB issues you are trolling, ah er talking about? :notsure:

11. Jun 18, 2009 at 1:44 PM
    rutherk1

rutherk1 ElPhantasmo&TheChickenRunBlastarama

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Silver TRD 4door
    Remember how many trucks are out there and that most of the people that post on these sites are fanatics and or are posting because they have a problem. If you based quality on what people were posting all cars would be total crap.

Let me see in the last 10 years cars I have owned.

1999 - ///M3. Balljoint issues. Wheels cracking. Broken Diffs
    2001 - C5. Throwout bearing issue. Oil pump failures
    2005 - Ford F150 Diff failures. Transmissions slushbox shifting
    2007 - FJ Cruiser. Front end cracking
    2009 - tacoma radio issues

Remember that the vehicle is the most complicated piece of machinery put in the hands of the relatively untrained.

Your truck is fine. Enjoy it and fix it when there is an issue. Toyota isnt going to completely let go of quality control. Other than the Radio and TSB (which isnt a sever problem) they are as trouble free as any other reliable car.

Cheers.

12. Jun 18, 2009 at 2:44 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck

You mean 2000 right? :cool:

13. Jun 18, 2009 at 2:47 PM
    Ghost96Romeo

Ghost96Romeo What is the Search Tab for????

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off-Road D-Cab
    3" Pro-Comp Suspension Lift AAL Rear w/TSB, All-Pro Plate Bumper, Lightforce 240 Blitz lights, Lund Genesis Roll-top Bed cover, K&N Filters, Spidertrax Wheel spacers, Built-by-Me Rock Sliders, Jeep Tow-Hook, Black Leather seats, 48"Hi-Lift Jack mounted in the bed, Blacked out TRD Rims, BHLM, FLM..... and Awesomeness

Your last 0 should of been a 6 (2006). You must of had the fat finger syndrome. lol

14. Jun 18, 2009 at 2:48 PM
    hendooman

hendooman The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma OR (SOLD); 2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.

Well said

15. Jun 18, 2009 at 2:48 PM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    I just ran outside to check, nope it says 2003.

16. Jun 18, 2009 at 2:50 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    :laugh: you are correct sir!!!!!!

17. Jun 18, 2009 at 2:51 PM
    Ghost96Romeo

Ghost96Romeo What is the Search Tab for????

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off-Road D-Cab
    3" Pro-Comp Suspension Lift AAL Rear w/TSB, All-Pro Plate Bumper, Lightforce 240 Blitz lights, Lund Genesis Roll-top Bed cover, K&N Filters, Spidertrax Wheel spacers, Built-by-Me Rock Sliders, Jeep Tow-Hook, Black Leather seats, 48"Hi-Lift Jack mounted in the bed, Blacked out TRD Rims, BHLM, FLM..... and Awesomeness

I have been violated...... :eek:

18. Jun 18, 2009 at 2:59 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Rear leaf TSB is the only really major problem. Other than that, it's all minor stuff. The rear leaf problem persists in the 2009s and Toyota damn well knows it. That they're cheaping out (so far) and pulling this sticker bullshit really annoys me.

19. Jun 18, 2009 at 3:20 PM
    timbo805

timbo805 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SanDiego
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma trd sport pre-runner
    i love my 2009 only issue is the radio but got it fixed at the dealer no questions asked so im good to go!!!

20. Jun 18, 2009 at 3:25 PM
    luni

luni Resident Gun-toting Hippie

Member:
    First Name:
    Burt's Mustache
    Ft Bragg, NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    Icon c/os, TSB 4 leaf pack, Unbreakable Fab tube winch bumper, Mile Marker SEC12000, Roadless Gear winch control panel, Bud Built skids, URD Pipe Bomb Y pipe, snorkeled rear diff breather, no carpet
    The rear spring TSB has been beaten to death, cremated, turned into jello, eaten, crapped out, and then beaten some more. By providing a free replacement (EVEN TO 09s) they are catering to the whole spectrum of tacoma owners, not just the minority who wants stiff rear suspension.

A 3 leaf pack will not cause your bed to explode, axle to fall off, air bags to deploy, and engine catch on fire as soon as you break 70mph on the highway, therefore Toyota did not "wrong" you. The rear spring TSB (as the document itself states) is a functionality issue, not a safety issue. Or would you prefer Toyota use tires that blow out or wiring harnesses that catch on fire like other companies?

Products Discussed in

To Top