1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Jeep vs Toyota

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Taco Guapo, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Jun 19, 2009 at 4:30 AM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    I had a Grand Cherokee V8 for 3 years during college. I loved the way it felt, looked and drove, but the problem was it was in the shop every other week. I went through a couple of water pumps, several electrical problems, leaking seals (on a 4 year old vehicle), shi**y brakes, and was going to have to replace the rear-end if I didn't get rid of it.

I got a Lexus IS300 and never had a single problem in the 3 years I drove it. My truck (which replaced the IS) has had zero problems since purchase 1.5 years ago.

Toyota FTW!

2. Jun 19, 2009 at 7:18 AM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    Another thing I hate about Jeep are the "Jeepers"!

These are people who high-five you because you drive a Jeep. They have owned 12 Jeeps in 10 years (probably because of mechanical issues) and are JEEP FOR LIFE! They usually have the bumper sticker or window sticker that says the same.

[​IMG]

Have you ever noticed how many Jeeps have front license plates that say "Jeep". As if you didn't know what the hell it was in the first place!

I went to see "Jeepers Creepers" because I thought it was a movie about these people. They do creep me out!

3. Jun 19, 2009 at 8:34 AM
    jonny

jonny Betty White Edition Heep ZJ

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    guilty as charged of ownin a "it's a jeep thing sticker" had an 89 XJ about 7 years ago. awesome trail rig. could never get it to stop leaking oil though ;) other than that, it was a solid vehicle. :D

4. Jun 19, 2009 at 8:36 AM
    FlawedXJ

FlawedXJ mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    13 F150 FX4, 99 jeep xj, 04 msm miata
    I actually have a jeep now. Imagine that.
    My roommate has a rail buggy and on the front window it says "i got your jeep thing, and it burns when i pee."

5. Jun 19, 2009 at 8:43 AM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    my girlfriend drives an 08 4 door wrangler. It's fun to cruise to the beach with the top off, but its uncomfortable to drive, and i really hate that it has a lack of places to stash things. Besides the center console armrest, and glove box, it's got a tiny pocket in the door, thats all. The taco has bigger balls :)

6. Jun 19, 2009 at 8:49 AM
    jonny

jonny Betty White Edition Heep ZJ

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    :bananadead: to him lol

7. Jun 19, 2009 at 8:53 AM
    FlawedXJ

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    he may be able to haul ass and do jumps, but he can't ride trails like I can. Plus his wheel base is 2 ft longer than mine.

8. Jun 19, 2009 at 9:05 AM
    kbaum08

kbaum08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    US of A
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road dbl cab 4x4 barcelona red
    Jason Topper, Bed Rug, Weather Tech floor liners, Garmin Nuvi 760, Scan Guage, Trd exhaust, AFE dry air filter, shrockworks rock sliders, heated seats Katzkin leather, 2+ inch OME lift shocks etc heavy duty, ARB front bumper, Warn winch, Pia lights, rocktek rear bumper, locking tailgate,
    I own 2 Wranglers 1990 and 2003 completely different vehicles. I also own 2 Toyota's a Taco And Highlander, if I could only own 2 of the 4, I would likely keep the Toyota's because they are more practical. Wranglers can be more fun in some cases and more frustrating in others.

9. Jun 19, 2009 at 9:07 AM
    FlawedXJ

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    As long as you don't buy a wrangler or similar body style jeep as a daily driver, you'll be fine and learn to love it. Thats what I did. I bought my old POS jeep with the intention and knowledge of pushing it far as I can without breaking it. And sometimes you break it. Only electric things on my jeep that aren't involved in the motor are my lights, all it really needs.

the air conditioning is actually pretty neat, you just fold the top down and instant air circulation.

10. Jun 19, 2009 at 10:55 AM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    This must be a joke.

13yrs and 140k mi and you're bitching and moaning over maintenance items?
    I bought a 1995 Jeep Gr Cherokee over 4Runner for the following reasons...
    Jeep 4wd systems are miles ahead of Toyota.
    Compare the systems of the time and Selec-trac owned the Toyota.
    I don't think 4w discs w/ABS was even available on the Toy.
    4w coil springs....I still miss those.
    I put 110k mi on that car and only did maintenance and wear items....I replaced the battery when I sold it not because it was necessary, just as goodwill.
    Clean and solid when I sold it to my BIL and his wife still drives it.
    Very solid, well designed car.

11. Jun 19, 2009 at 11:01 AM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    Pot: Hello, Kettle?

Kettle: Yes... what's up, Pot?

Pot: You're black!

12. Jun 19, 2009 at 11:22 AM
    tussery

tussery Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corpus Christi, Tx
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5
    Magnaflow muffler, TRD CAI.
    I have a '95 Wrangler and my '09 Tacoma. Both are two completely different vehicles. My Tacoma is my DD and 2WD so it never really sees offroad use at all. My Jeep on the other hand I built for rock crawling so it is nothing but a toy. I can't say anything about my Tacoma yet but I had 110,000 miles on my Jeep (87,000 when I got it.) And I had a TPS fail in it and had a caliper lock up. I have had to replace a few parts that I have broken, but all in all my 2.5L Wrangler was a very reliable vehicle.

13. Nov 5, 2013 at 8:46 PM
    Ralston

Ralston Well-Known Member

Member:
    High in the Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Super White - 4x4 - TRD Off Road
    I am not gonna say company history, ethics, etc. are not important. Because they are. But, all that whoa is not nearly as important as the end product. By that I mean the 30K tool/toy/trap in the driveway.

I too was on the fence for a while. For me, it came down to a few key goals. I can't sleep in the back of a Jeep like I do in my Taco. I can't toss dirty bikes, skis, boards, and girls like I do in my Taco. Sure I could strap all that wow to racks, bumpers, and crap. but F lookin like a christmas tree comin down the road, shit fallen off, takin out mad cars and bikers. Mofos can't even tie their shoes these days.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  14. Nov 5, 2013 at 8:57 PM
    Artruck

Artruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lawrence, KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 Super Basic
    I owned a Cherokee Pioneer back in the day, but I needed a truck and a Nice Scrambler was more thank my Tacoma and 30 years older. And the Other Jeep trucks are not worth the trouble, and still old. Honestly it was down to a Tacoma or a Frontier because I was replacing a 97 Nissan Pickup with 270k miles on it. I loved it and remembered how my AMC build Jeep ran on 3 cylinders for most of the time I had it. It also stripped the ring gear in the front the first time I used 4lo.

15. Nov 5, 2013 at 9:04 PM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco with some crap welded to it
    mostly stock
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

images_ff93270535b65a178ef944015c0e47a56d2b6cf9.jpg

[​IMG]

I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

16. Nov 6, 2013 at 2:35 AM
    ndsgr

ndsgr Well-Known Member

Member:
    For the same reasons I don't own any of the big three cars: I got tired of people telling me that major component failures were "routine maintenance. "

While I was in college, a lot of my friends had jeeps. All of them got broken into with a screwdriver in the lock and door pryed open, damaging both. One friend would leave hers unlocked so they wouldn't need to break in and it still happened. Not Jeep's fault, but definately a unique consequence of owning one. Plus, only one of those friends ever used 4wd.

17. Nov 6, 2013 at 3:00 AM
    Coast2Coast

Coast2Coast Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRDOR
    Black Sand Pearl factory paint - flattened "au natural" by tree branches.
    A Tacoma does a hell of a job being a DD and an off road toy. A jeep could never be anything more than just a trail toy for me because of all the trade offs of comfort, handling, having a roof, reliability, etc. But that's what the quads are for. If I want to go to those little trails that my truck can't fit in I just take the quad, which btw fits in the box of my Toyota. I'd get a lot more use out of something like a polaris RZR.

18. Nov 6, 2013 at 3:15 AM
    Vigo

Vigo WFO

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    On a rock in the pacific
    Vehicle:
    '12 4 door
    stuff...
    I had a '00 Grand Cherokee before the Tacoma. It was a good car. Leather, 4.7 V8, quadradrive (like limited slip diffs for the front, rear, and center with the ability to lock the center). It had a Dana 35 in the front, with cv's instead of U-joints, and a Dana 44A in the rear, with the aluminum center. While not the strongest, I had no problems with either.
    Both cars with 3" lifts, the grand Cherokee wins hands down while off road. Still very comfortable on road too. I was just tired of cleaning dog fur out of the back and figured a 4 door Tacoma would fit the bill just fine. I miss the jeep, though. I just need to spend a little bit more to make the Tacoma better off road than it was.

19. Nov 6, 2013 at 4:35 AM
    Coast2Coast

Coast2Coast Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRDOR
    Black Sand Pearl factory paint - flattened "au natural" by tree branches.
    Really? To each his own I guess. Of all the jeeps you picked my least favourite lol. I don't like anything with a short wheelbase anyway. I don't even like driving my 4runner at all unless I'm down in the rough stuff. I like my Tacoma all the time though so that's why I'm here.

20. Nov 6, 2013 at 5:31 AM
    Vigo

Vigo WFO

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    On a rock in the pacific
    Vehicle:
    '12 4 door
    stuff...
    Well, they both have their pros and cons. The "heep", as my gf called it, had a lot of flex, even with the sway bars attached. The short wheelbase helped with high centering since it only had a 3" lift. The IFS on the tacoma can't be compared at all. Two completely different vehicles, and the grand Cherokee isn't the typical jeep. It looks like a soccer moms car but it'll surprise most people. The only thing that I hated about it was the model I had didn't have a selectable transfer case. It was awd, or locked in 4lo. So I had to drop the front driveshaft to do some long smoky burnouts... I even took the heep to the sand drags for the hell of it. Took some people by surprise there too.
    If it came down to just off-road, I'd take a long arm jeep over a long travel tacoma. I don't see any high speed stuff around here, so that would be my pick.
    Don't get me wrong though, I still love my tacoma for what it is. A versatile, dependable, daily driver.

Products Discussed in

To Top