Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How black can you go?

Old 11-25-2007, 10:55 AM   #1
Western Alliance-NorCal
victorye3 is on a distinguished road

victorye3's Tacoma Gallery
How black can you go?

I live in California and I want to start tinting my tail lights. How black can I go until its illegal?
Old 11-25-2007, 11:14 AM   #2
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
In most states if not all, ANY tinting of the taillight is illegal. I believe your question should be, "How dark can I go before I will get busted on a daily basis?". I would go coat by coat until you get what you want. Do one coat, see what you think, do another coat, etc. It's a judgement call, really. If it's too obvious, you'll get busted. I usually do two coats and then a bunch of clear coats (haven't done Taco yet) but that's just my preference
Old 11-25-2007, 11:30 AM   #3
909tacoma is on a distinguished road
909tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorye3 View Post
I live in California and I want to start tinting my tail lights. How black can I go until its illegal?
We live in California, everything is illegal!
Old 11-25-2007, 04:15 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance Costal Div
2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of

2003greenbean's Tacoma Gallery
you can get away with most things here in sc
Old 11-25-2007, 07:17 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance: Midwest Firearms Division
TuRDTACO is on a distinguished road

TuRDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TuRDTACO
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorye3 View Post
my taillights are solid black and i havent gotten a ticket for them...headlight tint is illegal here but not taillights, mine are sprayed as black as if they had the AVS smoked covers
Old 11-25-2007, 08:50 PM   #6
spencer_hong is on a distinguished road
spencer_hong's Tacoma Gallery
Tail light tint is illegal but it's nothing to worry about. I'm in soCal and I haven't gotten hassled about it and I live in a really rich area with stuck up cops so I wouldn't worry about it. Just don't murder it out really bad and you'll be fine.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:53 PM   #7

don't "rob & big" it and drive like a dick like i was just doing haha
Old 11-25-2007, 10:54 PM   #8

....countersteering one-handed and smoking will get your heart runnin haha
Old 11-26-2007, 09:39 AM   #9
Western Alliance-NorCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRDTACO View Post
don't "rob & big" it and drive like a dick like i was just doing haha
I was thinking about going with the UAV style! haha Murdered out! black on black on black
Old 11-26-2007, 10:24 AM   #10
Jackass to the masses
cvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cvillechopper's Tacoma Gallery
Not that anyone plans on getting hit, but one thing to think about...
If you've got the tail lights tinted AT ALL and someone rear-ends you, they can claim that your tint was the problem and probably get it to stick in court since you were "breaking the law" with the tint. This means you'll not only have to pay for your own damage, but for the damages to the car that hit you as well as any medical they claim. I've heard of people that go around looking for tinted tail lights to hit just for this reason.

Just a thought.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:34 AM   #11
Sometimes I drink water...
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
look at mine....nuff said....haha
Old 11-26-2007, 08:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvillechopper View Post
If you've got the tail lights tinted AT ALL and someone rear-ends you, they can claim that your tint was the problem and probably get it to stick in court since you were "breaking the law" with the tint. This means you'll not only have to pay for your own damage, but for the damages to the car that hit you as well as any medical they claim. I've heard of people that go around looking for tinted tail lights to hit just for this reason.

Just a thought.
i'm going to weld a giant iron bar across each side of my truck, i'd like to see them sue me when they get totaled, i have a scratch on the bar, and i jump outta the truck yelling spanish profanities and saying no hablo english!! no insurance-o! haha
Old 11-27-2007, 07:40 AM   #13
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvillechopper View Post

Just a thought.
mine are DARK and can still be easily seen during the day. so i'd like for someone to do that to me...i'll come through the court wall in my truck like i was the Koolaid man and show them that they can see them!!! haha
Old 11-27-2007, 07:04 PM   #14
Western Alliance-NorCal

There is always that "what if" right! It could happen, but hell at least we go out in style! When the judge ask if I have anything to say in my defense Im gonna say "At least my truck looks better than yours" HAHA
Old 11-27-2007, 07:10 PM   #15
Mod Master
pb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the rough

pb2themax's Tacoma Gallery
I just tinted mine enough to get rid of the pink color, but you can still see some red. My truck has plenty of illegal stuff on it. I don't want to draw any extra attention.

Check my CarDomain for pics of my tail lights.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:11 PM   #16

i've gone up and down i-95 for almost 25k miles now and i've never had a prob...i also drive around fayettenam and on base here w/o any issue...u should be fine. i'm also thinking about going to a 5% tint now that i see everyone w/ it and no probs
Old 11-27-2007, 09:43 PM   #17

i can't tell you how many times front window tint and no front plate got me out of a speeding ticket lol
Old 11-27-2007, 10:00 PM   #18
909tacoma is on a distinguished road
909tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer_hong View Post
Tail light tint is illegal but it's nothing to worry about. I'm in soCal and I haven't gotten hassled about it and I live in a really rich area with stuck up cops so I wouldn't worry about it. Just don't murder it out really bad and you'll be fine.
My friend just got a ticket in his Mercedes CLS in a upscale area for modified signals aka blacked out tail lights...

It's all about the luck of the draw!
Old 11-27-2007, 10:02 PM   #19

see if he was speeding and was nice to the cop, he mighta gotten away with speeding and just gotten the taillight ticket lol
Old 11-29-2007, 05:45 AM   #20
Carolina Alliance Costal Div
2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of

2003greenbean's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My friend just got a ticket in his Mercedes CLS in a upscale area for modified signals aka blacked out tail lights...
he has a mercedes he can afford the ticket