My 12V MOD

View Poll Results: What do you think?
Looks good would do it the same way. 64 84.21%
Looks good but i would have done it different 8 10.53%
Looks bad 0 0%
I cant believe you cut a hole in your bed!!! 4 5.26%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-19-2009, 10:48 AM   #1
Aalders has much to be proud ofAalders has much to be proud ofAalders has much to be proud ofAalders has much to be proud ofAalders has much to be proud ofAalders has much to be proud ofAalders has much to be proud ofAalders has much to be proud ofAalders has much to be proud of

Air Force: Electronic warfare tech
Name: Logan
Aalders's Tacoma Gallery
Talking My 12V MOD

I always thought it was weird that toyota put 110 in the bed but forgot to put 12v especially when it is so cheap to do. so i decided to fix that.

I ordered this 12V Marine grade cigarette outlet from Amazon for $6

The first thing i did when i got the outlet was to run over to our local Harbor Freight and pick up this step drill bit for $15. I used electrical tape to mark off where to stop. i drilled a 1-1/8in hole.

I figured i should place to outlet as close to the tailgate as possible so that i could use it with my electric winch for my John boat. i figured it would look best right in the middle of the area where it slants inwards toward the tailgate.

I had already placed a power block behind the left bed pocket from my previous bed light mod and used that for my + power feed. I ran 8ga wire i got at Lowes from the battery through the frame and up into the fender and then fused it with a 80amp fuse.

I purchased a inline fuse holder and a 30amp fuse form Walmart for $2. I extended it with some 12g wire, put some ends on the end, and shrunk wrapped the connections.

To put the outlet in i decided that i would use some little clips that came with a pair of Infinity speakers i purchased a few years ago so that i wouldn't run the risk of striping out the thin bed wall.

in order to install the clips in the right position to line up with the holes on the outlet i knocked out the side of the hole with a square file i also got a Harbor Freight.

Next thing was to wire it up! i put power to the power block and ran the ground to a bolt under the rear bumper sorry this is the only thing i forgot to take a picture of.... go figure. use your imagination.

After i installed the hardware it was time to a test. the only thing i had at the time was this usb converter

After that i cleaned everything up and was left with this.... the finished product.

Total Cost around 8 dollars in parts and 15 dollars in tools!
Old 06-19-2009, 11:00 AM   #2
Busting hymens since 2014
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
looks great, very professional install.

Although, I haven't found a need for a 12v power source outside of the cab...
Old 06-19-2009, 11:14 AM   #3
Simon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Simon2150's Tacoma Gallery
You got skills! Nicely done!
Old 06-19-2009, 11:15 AM   #4
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
nice install
Old 06-19-2009, 11:36 AM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
well Done!
Old 06-19-2009, 11:38 AM   #7
HOT!!
hillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeremy
hillbillytaco's Tacoma Gallery
nice job
Old 06-19-2009, 01:18 PM   #10
mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy
FlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
FlawedXJ's Tacoma Gallery
looks good man. I put mine inside one of the cubbys with an on off switch but yours looks like it came like that.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:28 PM   #11
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Good job. I wouldn't really have a use for it personally, but a good idea nonetheless. Just make sure you throw some kind of water displacing grease on it to prevent corrosion. Marine grade or not, it will corrode after awhile. Rep added.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:37 PM   #13
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
great mod man. very well done.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:09 PM   #14
BSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BSPDX's Tacoma Gallery
Well done! Great write up as well!
Old 06-19-2009, 04:23 PM   #15
Aalders has much to be proud ofAalders has much to be proud ofAalders has much to be proud ofAalders has much to be proud ofAalders has much to be proud ofAalders has much to be proud ofAalders has much to be proud ofAalders has much to be proud ofAalders has much to be proud of

Aalders's Tacoma Gallery
thanks guys for all your feedback. im going to replace the power block with a blue sea power Fuse block like this one soon just to make it neater and allow for easyer future mods
Old 06-20-2009, 05:41 AM   #20

Aalders's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by unholycumulus View Post
where did you get your original 12V power from that goes into that powerblock?
i ran eight ga from the battery though the frame out into the fender