Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

clunk on brake release; manic downshifting

Old 06-19-2009, 02:12 PM   #1
Climber is on a distinguished road
Climber's Tacoma Gallery
clunk on brake release; manic downshifting

New to the forum. I have an '09 double cab 4x4 automatic with about 1000 miles. I mostly like it, but it has two quirks that are irritating and I'm wondering if they can be remedied:

1) when I release the brake from a full stop, especially if I have stopped briskly, I feel a clunk. Sometimes I feel the clunk instead when I first step on the gas. If I had to guess, I would say that either a brake shoe is slow to retract and then comes in abruptly, or that I'm feeling some kind of shifting of the axle/leaf spring assembly. I looked over the axle u-bolts and attachment areas, and see no sign of shifting. Have others noticed this?

2) When I go around corners around town, or go over speed bumps, the transmission downshifts by two gears. This is really annoying when I'm driving gently, causes the engine to rev up needlessly, and actually slows the truck down until the transmission figures out there's almost no load and upshifts again. My guess is that it's programmed this way for trailer towing (I have the trailer package), but I'm also considered that I might have an sensor that was acting up. Do others' trucks do this?

Thanks for any insight. I'm asking on the forum because my dealer has already impressed me with their willingness to say almost anything is normal....
Old 06-19-2009, 02:18 PM   #2
silversavage is on a distinguished road
silversavage's Tacoma Gallery
Not mine..?

I have an 09 4x4 Double Cab with the tow package and I don't experience this? The downshifting sounds odd as well as the abrupt clunking you get but they could all be tied into the transmission if you ask me. If you have warranty get it checked. Have you checked fluid level atleast?

EDIT:: I just read the bottum of your post, of course the claim things are normal but has they test drivin' it yet?
Old 06-19-2009, 02:22 PM   #3
BSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BSPDX's Tacoma Gallery
Try greasing the slip joint on the rear driveline as Toyota sends them out dry for some damn reason... this has been an ongoing issue from the 1st gens!
Old 06-21-2009, 08:42 PM   #4
PropJet has a spectacular aura aboutPropJet has a spectacular aura about
PropJet's Tacoma Gallery
For those of us that aren't mechanics, can someone explain in detail, or post a picture of what it is exactly that is needing grease? And what type of grease do we use?
Old 06-22-2009, 03:16 PM   #5
PropJet's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone? I have this problem, and would love to take care of it myself, if it is something the average person can accomplish.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:22 PM   #6
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropJet View Post
For those of us that aren't mechanics, can someone explain in detail, or post a picture of what it is exactly that is needing grease? And what type of grease do we use?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropJet View Post
Anyone? I have this problem, and would love to take care of it myself, if it is something the average person can accomplish.
the part that needs greasing in this case is the end of the drive shaft...the part that comes from the diff to the shaft....that part needs to be cleaned off and greased more periodically than the rest of the fittings.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:26 PM   #7
PropJet's Tacoma Gallery
Okay, I've read so many posts on this transmission clunk issue the last couple of days I can't keep them straight anymore. Some posts indicate the part that needs greased is permanently sealed, while other posts say it is not.

Since I'm taking my truck in to the dealer (for another issue) within the next week, I'm just going to see if they will take care of it. However, I'm no mechanic, and like I said, I've read so many posts lately that seem to contradict each other, I'm not sure what to tell them. What exactly should I tell them to do, so that they understand, and I don't look like an idiot not knowing what I'm talking about?
Old 07-02-2009, 06:41 AM   #8
PropJet's Tacoma Gallery
I don't want to walk in there, trying to act all knowledgeable, and tell them to lube the slip yoke / spline joint / slip joint (or whatever it's called), only to have them tell me it's a sealed unit and cannot be done.

What should I tell them?