Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Trouble after 09 radio replacement?

Old 06-20-2009, 12:01 PM   #1
BlackRig has a spectacular aura aboutBlackRig has a spectacular aura about

Name: Craig
BlackRig's Tacoma Gallery
Trouble after 09 radio replacement?

My radio has been acting up. I know there's been a bunch of threads about the stock head units in 09's but have you have trouble since you're replacement from Toyota? I need to take mine in and have them replace it under warranty but I don't want to swap it with another defective.

Does anyone know if the replacements are updated or still having the same trouble?
Old 06-20-2009, 12:22 PM   #2
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Ever considered just putting in an aftermarket? The dash kits are cheap, and you can pick up older model decks for real decent prices. My deck is over 4 years old and it still performs like a champ.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:51 PM   #3
Threadkiller
Monarch will become famous soon enoughMonarch will become famous soon enough

Monarch's Tacoma Gallery
Just curious and I haven't done a search yet, but what is the problem?
The reason I ask is that my volume control on the radio sometimes doesn't work but the steering wheel controls still function. 8K on the truck and it's been doing this intermittently since new. The only solution so far is to turn the radio and the ignition off and then restart. It's not a big deal, but at some point, I'll need to address the problem.

monarchrifle.com/doug's2009tacoma.html
Old 06-20-2009, 02:11 PM   #4
BlackRig has a spectacular aura aboutBlackRig has a spectacular aura about

Name: Craig
BlackRig's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by briangp View Post
Ever considered just putting in an aftermarket? The dash kits are cheap, and you can pick up older model decks for real decent prices. My deck is over 4 years old and it still performs like a champ.
I have been considering it. Especially because the new iPhone update is supposed to have Bluetooth audio. It would be nice to have a wireless aux and hands free. But it's mostly principle with a new truck and all. Plus selling the stock radio helps to offset the new one.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:39 PM   #5
Threadkiller

Monarch's Tacoma Gallery
Your stock radio is basically worthless, unless you plan to sell your truck.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:27 PM   #6
Banned
kilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to behold
kilgoja's Tacoma Gallery
yeah my stock one would just turn on by itself and then turn off about a min later....only did it every once in awhile not all the time....anyways the dealer ordered me a new one for free so we'll see what happens...they said ever since 05 they have had radio problems on some of the trucks but not all of them...whatever company that makes these newer radios screwed up somewhere...lol...anyways should be fine once it's replaced
Old 06-20-2009, 07:32 PM   #7
jiles111 has a spectacular aura aboutjiles111 has a spectacular aura aboutjiles111 has a spectacular aura about

jiles111's Tacoma Gallery
I had mine replaced at 1000 miles. The new unit's volume and tuner are tighter. I have not had any trouble with the new one what so ever. It took the dealer about 3 weeks to get it in, and about 30 minutes to replace it. Didn't even have to fuss at them. I just called and said that the volume does not work correctly and it turns it self off and changes channels when it wants to. He said Ok bring it in so I can get the numbers off of it and I will get you a new one ordered.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:28 PM   #8
Threadkiller

Monarch's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info. I turned my radio off tonight and about 2 stoplights later, it came back on by itself at the same volume. Startled me, but no harm done and the volume control on the radio worked. I'll wait and take it in before the warranty runs out.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:23 PM   #9
Master Jedi Member I am...
chad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Chad
chad68's Tacoma Gallery
I was going to post this same question.

Mine is tweaked out as well. But since the radio sounds like ass even when it works, I'm just going to get an aftermarket one.

It shuts off and turns on by itself sometimes and refuses to do other functions when it doesn't feel like doing them and once so far the radio stayed on and the lighting went off. Swear it seems like it doe something different and new every other day.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:34 PM   #10
Threadkiller

Monarch's Tacoma Gallery
I'll let you know how I make out.