Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Remove/Replace Door Handles on Reg. & Access Cabs

Old 06-20-2009, 05:02 PM   #1
Edrin55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEdrin55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEdrin55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEdrin55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEdrin55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEdrin55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEdrin55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEdrin55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEdrin55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEdrin55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEdrin55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ron
Edrin55's Tacoma Gallery
Remove/Replace Door Handles on Reg. & Access Cabs

Hey guys and gals..... I don't know if this has already been posted. If so, my apologies. I wanted to change my black door handles to the color keyed ones that matched my vehicle.

This is for the 2nd gen. Tacomas (2005 - 2010)

Tools needed:
1 #30 Torx bit screwdriver
1 small flathead screw driver

Parts needed:
2 door handles (part# 69211-AE020-B8) $24.00 each at my local dealer. The last two digits is your vehicle color code. "B8" is for Magnetic Gray
2 lock covers (part# 69217-AE020-B7) $4.00 each. "B7" is also for Magnetic Gray

Start:

Step 1:
Open door and locate black plastic cover.

Step 2:
Remove plastic cover. I just used my fingernail so I wouldn't scratch the paint.

Step 3:
Using #30 Torx Screwdriver loosen the screw all the way. DO NOT worry about the screw falling into the door. It has a retainer clip holding it in place. DO NOT try to remove the screw all the way out.

Step 4:
Slowly remove the lock mechanism. I used my fingernail to pry it away from the door and used a rocking motion to wiggle it out.

Step 5:
Remove black cover from lock mechanism. You will now use the screwdriver to pry the cover from the mechanism.

Step 6:
Handle removal. WITHOUT pulling up (like you were going to open the door), slowly slide the handle back towards the opening until it clicks out and pull out of door.

Step 7:
Insert new door handle into opening and slide it forward into place.

Step 8:
Replace new cover onto lock mechanism.

Step 9:
Slowly insert the lock mechanism into the door. Then with one hand holding it in place, use the other hand to tighten the #30 Torx screw.

Step 10:
Reinstall black plastic cover by snapping it into place.

Removal/Replacement Complete.

This whole process took only about 20 minutes for both doors. Mind you, I am not Mr. Joe Mechanic. I was actually gonna pay a friend to do this mod. However he flaked on me for the past few days, so I learned and did it myself.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:31 PM   #2
tammikm has a spectacular aura abouttammikm has a spectacular aura about

tammikm's Tacoma Gallery
NICE!! only $24 for the handles wtf, i'm gonna price them up here in Canada and see what they are worth, I'm guessing way over $100 each from the dealer.....
Old 06-20-2009, 09:45 PM   #3
rpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to behold

Name: Roger
rpparkster's Tacoma Gallery
Nice Write-up Ron.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:13 PM   #5
TX
TEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TEX357's Tacoma Gallery
Where did you get the door handles for 24:O?
Old 06-21-2009, 02:41 AM   #7
reg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shed
reg boulette's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you for the post - I even have the same colour! Will have to grow finger nails. Wondering if having electric door locks would make any difference to disassembly? - haven't looked closely at door yet.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:20 PM   #9
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edrin55 View Post
I was actually gonna pay a friend to do this mod. However he flaked on me for the past few days, so I learned and did it myself.
Wow... your friend must not have a life. I could understand if he works 2 jobs and has a family and also made some time to swap other friends bumpers and all but not to come over and change your door handles is completely unacceptable. Sorry to hear.
The after picture looks great. Nice write up. You should pm TcBob and ask him if he can add it to the Mods & Tutorials v Tab on the top.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:12 AM   #11
rpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to behold

Name: Roger
rpparkster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by w8n4mud View Post
Wow... your friend must not have a life. I could understand if he works 2 jobs and has a family and also made some time to swap other friends bumpers and all but not to come over and change your door handles is completely unacceptable. Sorry to hear.
The after picture looks great. Nice write up. You should pm TcBob and ask him if he can add it to the Mods & Tutorials v Tab on the top.
Too funny (For those that don't know, too bad).
Old 06-22-2009, 03:22 PM   #12
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Here you go Ron!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpparkster View Post
Too funny (For those that don't know, too bad).
You had to be there. That's for sure.
Oh well, there's always next time.
So what's the next mod.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:33 PM   #13
cntmdc is a splendid one to beholdcntmdc is a splendid one to beholdcntmdc is a splendid one to beholdcntmdc is a splendid one to beholdcntmdc is a splendid one to beholdcntmdc is a splendid one to beholdcntmdc is a splendid one to beholdcntmdc is a splendid one to behold

Name: Pablo
cntmdc's Tacoma Gallery
Anyway we could get the name of the dealer where you got the parts? My local dealer has them for $65.00 a piece + $14 for the key attachment. Also what if you a 4 door(Dual Cab) how would you remove the rear door handles.

Sorry, I just read the dealer name my bad....
Old 06-22-2009, 04:54 PM   #14
Edrin55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEdrin55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEdrin55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEdrin55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEdrin55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEdrin55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEdrin55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEdrin55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEdrin55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEdrin55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEdrin55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ron
Edrin55's Tacoma Gallery
Here is the full address:

Frank Toyota
2400 National City Blvd.
National City, CA 91950-6635
619-477-2103

Hope you can read the receipt below

#1 is the intermittent wiper stalk. Yes it works on the 2009's. Not backwards
#2 is the left door handle, list price 41.97, negotiated price $24.00
#3 is the right door handle,
#4 is the two lock caps, list price 8.26, negotiated price 4.00
#5 tacoma shirt I bought...lol
Old 06-22-2009, 04:55 PM   #15
Begin With The End In Mind.
carmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: KEVIN
carmellocafe's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up. Never thought of this. Thanks.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:11 PM   #17
If You Search...You Shall Find.
uood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Uniform / Marked Patrol
uood8's Tacoma Gallery
awesome...i didn't know they were that cheap!
Old 09-15-2009, 11:15 PM   #19
"Living life in the FAST lane..."
05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

05PreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 05PreRunner
Very useful writeup..

I will probably end up doing this in the near future..
Old 09-16-2009, 12:18 PM   #20
Soon is on a distinguished road
Soon's Tacoma Gallery
Good info here....

One question though... did you have to remove the upholstery from the inside of the door?