Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

limited slip or not.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:26 PM   #1
mullica woods'er is on a distinguished road
mullica woods'er's Tacoma Gallery
limited slip or not.

just trying to figure out my truck.I have an 06 trd off rd.tow package,sr5 4x4 ac. The dealer says i have it.I just recently bought it. So i'm to believe i have the rear locker, plus limited slip? I know when i go on dirt forest rds.,when i get on the gas just a bit,it shows like a posi rear. I mean an open diff would not show that,just one wheel would spin usually.I guess i can jack up the back and it would lock up??Ok,folks let me know what you think.Oh well,my 1st tacoma just getting used to it. The truck is new to me. ABS brakes make alot noise when you 1st get going,but after that fine. I guess like any brand these trucks got their funny ways too.thanks all.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:27 PM   #2
mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy
FlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
FlawedXJ's Tacoma Gallery
You have a locker.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
i know i have a locker. I thought with the Tow package you have a limited slip too.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:31 PM   #4
mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy
FlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
FlawedXJ's Tacoma Gallery
nope. tow package gives you a hitch and transmission cooler
Old 06-20-2009, 05:54 PM   #5
Thread killer
LBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LBtaco's Tacoma Gallery
yeah its either open, locker, or LSD.... SR5, TRD off road, TRD sport respectively.

and yeah the brakes do make noise lol, I got to hear the ABS trying to work on the trails today never heard it groan like that before.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:07 PM   #7
Thread killer
LBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LBtaco's Tacoma Gallery
wait, you have a 4x4.. so a TRD OR would have a locker in the rear and the LSD in the front.. right?
Old 06-20-2009, 06:27 PM   #8
Banned
kilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to behold
kilgoja's Tacoma Gallery
mine doesn't have a locker but it has the auto LSD for the rear wheels....really not sure if i'll ever use that...if i get stuck i would just put it in 4wd to get out....i think they all have mechanical lsd front and rear..not sure......auto lsd is different and is electronically controlled braking i guess or something like that and is only used at certain times like when you get stuck...you have to press the button and it disables the vsc and trac control......and lockers are not on all the time..there is a button for that too...it is electronically controlled to make it where both rear wheels turn at the same time no matter what even if one is in the air...i really don't know much about lockers....it's more used in rock climbing and stuff...serious off roading....but i don't see how locking the rear wheels is better than just putting it into 4wd to get out of tough situation...i know rock climbers put lockers front and rear....not sure what the advantages of just having a locker on the rear wheels is...but i'm no extreme off roader so i've never had a use for it.....i just do mild off roading sometimes... i know my all wheel drive car has front and rear lsd....maybe someone that knows more about it can explain...lol
Old 06-21-2009, 07:15 AM   #9
yes kilgoja,i think you are right. They come with limited slip with tow pack.,and plus you can use the locker in 4 lo only. Being you can't use the locker any other way,unless you got it modified. Which i no nothing about. I don't have no auto lsd. Well i will call the dealer monday,give my vin.# to parts,and they should be able to tell me. well i ordered my 5100's yesterday,looking forward to doing that. later.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:37 AM   #10
Banned
johnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
johnecon2001's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to johnecon2001
Apples to oranges. He has a 2009. Which has electronic LSD, which uses the brakes. You don't get LSD because you have the "tow package".
You have an open differential up front. And since you have the offroad package, a locker in the rear. No Mechanical LSD, no electronic LSD (you have a 2006).
Old 06-21-2009, 10:31 AM   #11
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Why not just go out and try using it? :P That'll answer your question right away.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:32 AM   #12
Banned
kilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to behold
kilgoja's Tacoma Gallery
yeah the 2009 has vsc and trac control..electronic lsd sortof in a way i guess...lol...hard to explain.....maybe i'm thinking of the older trucks like my old 1988...i think it had mechanical lsd front and rear...not totally sure what the 2006 models have...i guess they are open like the guy said
Old 06-21-2009, 10:36 AM   #13
Bangers Runner
GotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
GotLift37's Tacoma Gallery
look at the rear diff. if it says LSD on it, you have limited slip diff. if it doesnt say that, you dont have a lsd