1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

XM or Sirius?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Blueridge, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Jun 22, 2009 at 5:24 AM
    Blueridge

Blueridge [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I thought they were one in the same now :confused:. My dealer is giving me a sat. radio install kit. They asked if I wanted XM or Sirius? Which one to choose?

2. Jun 22, 2009 at 5:31 AM
    Fire931

Fire931 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    00 4Runner
    they are different signals still with different channel numbers.. but they both have the exact same programming now so it really dosnt make any difference anymore.

3. Jun 22, 2009 at 6:06 AM
    dalesrn

dalesrn Tacoma TSS

Member:
    First Name:
    Dale
    Southeast Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma PreRunner DC with TSS Package
    Borla exhaust system, Sirius Satellite Radio, Chrome package, Trailer Hitch, Clazzio Leather seat covers, TSS badging, Anytime on fog lights mod, Daytime driving lights mod, Dual backseat DVD players w/monitors, 3rd Brake Light "TSS" mod, Bed pocket lights mod, Seat belt chime mod, Bed storage compartment auxillary outlet mod, Shorty antenna, Armor Lid Tonneau Cover, Line of Fire tailgate light
    I think the majority of the channels are the same, but there are some differences. Ex: Sirius has NASCAR in their basic package, but you have to get the XM with the Best of Sirius (pay extra) if you have XM and want NASCAR.

The Best of Sirius on XM cost extra. Think about what you like to listen to, and then decide. I have Sirius, and I love it. I have it in my Tacoma and my wife's Expedition (Don't buy a Ford)!

Dale

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/Conte.../CachedPage&c=ChannelLineup&cid=1218563499691

http://www.xmradio.com/onxm/full-channel-listing.xmc

4. Jun 22, 2009 at 7:03 AM
    LTCPipkin

LTCPipkin Member

Member:
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC PreRunner SR5 SB Barcelona Red
    Somewhere I remember reading that the already installed SAT Radio antenna was specific to Sirius, not XM. Are the two (XM and Sirius) antenna technologies the same/different?

Also, given the fact that the BRAND NEW radio in my 2009 DC is possessed and turns itself off and on as it chooses, not sure I want to invest the money to make it "SAT Capable". With an 8 week "backordered" status for replacements to this OEM radio, it means I would wait a long time to get the same POS installed. Any word on Toyota fixing this radio and shipping out a fixed version? :(

Thanks,
    Michael

5. Jun 22, 2009 at 7:15 AM
    indycross

indycross Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Dripping Springs, Texas
    Vehicle:
    1981 FJ40 Land Cruiser, 2018 4Runner Limited; 2011 Tundra Crewcab 4WD
    Sirius all the way! XM still pushes commercials from time to time between music. I also think that the Sirius DJ talent is way better.

My truck is coming with XM.... yeah that's changing as soon as i get it.

6. Jun 22, 2009 at 8:38 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    Although they did merge into one company, I'd go with Sirius.

Sirius is the "main company" regarding anything to do with the merger. I would expect in a few years that the XM name goes away and they make all original XM subscribers swith their equipment to Sirius so they only have to maintain and broadcast one system. That's only my opinion though.

7. Jun 22, 2009 at 8:48 AM
    JeffRock

JeffRock Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capital region, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma accesscab 4x4 SR5 2.7L
    Toyota all weather floor mats. Mag light that clunks around in the jack compartment. Dog hair. Dog drool on the windows.
    I really liked Sirius when I had it. And there is some antenna conversion kit from the dealer to use the stock antenna with xm, or sirius.

8. Jun 22, 2009 at 11:35 AM
    Blueridge

Member:
    I was going to add a Starmate Sirius to my old AC but I needed a wire that connected to the antenna port under the kick panel. A member here offered to make and send me one...but that was months ago and it never came :(. I called today to tell them my choice was Sirius and they told me they would do the Sirius install for free so I don't have to use the Starmate add on unit. I can put that in my wifes RAV4. Thanks for the responses :)

9. Jun 22, 2009 at 1:17 PM
    Slab

Slab Active Member

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off road double cab
    I have Sirius, but if I had it to do over I would go with XM. I believe everything Sirius has you can get with XM, however, you can't get MLB with Sirius due to baseball being greedy.

10. Jun 22, 2009 at 1:20 PM
    Blueridge

Member:
    The sports packages, NFL or MLB were a concern. When I travel btwn home and my mountain place I can get the fightin' Phillies the whole way on AM radio.

11. Jun 22, 2009 at 1:22 PM
    Rocketball

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    I have had both XM and Sirius at different times, and had each for 2 years or more.

It's just like the Ford vs Chevy debate........

Or Canon vs Nikon......

Check the programming to see if what they offer with their standard subscription is what you want, and if not, who offers the best "The Best of Package".

I think XM subscribers get a better deal if you choose "The Best of Sirius" package, because of the extra channels and programming you get. "The Best of XM" package for Sirius subscribers really is not that great IMO.

12. Jun 23, 2009 at 3:54 PM
    saracles

saracles New Member

Member:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    When the dealer installed my Sirius add-on they put an extra antenna on the roof (my DC already had the built-in antenna). They claimed the built-in antenna would only work with XM (and apparently their Sirius kit doesn't include any adapter to use it). I ended up getting an adapter cable for about $50 online to use the built-in antenna with the Sirius receiver, and then removed the extra antenna the dealer installed.

13. Jun 23, 2009 at 4:00 PM
    hendooman

hendooman The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma OR (SOLD); 2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.
    yeah what a dumbass dealer. All the antenas are the same.

Sirius all the way. I mean they have the grateful dead channel. What else is there to say...it's the freaking dead 24 hours a day!!!

14. Jun 23, 2009 at 4:01 PM
    Rocketball

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    Jerry's gone dud. Move on with your life....... :cool:

15. Jun 23, 2009 at 4:02 PM
    hendooman

hendooman The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma OR (SOLD); 2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.
    dude, how can you say that...the beat rolls on.

16. Jun 23, 2009 at 4:03 PM
    Rocketball

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    I guess I just don't understand..... That's cool..... :rolleyes:

17. Jun 23, 2009 at 4:24 PM
    GoBlueFan

GoBlueFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.

nope, the beat's dead.:boink:

18. Jun 23, 2009 at 4:31 PM
    ozmon420

ozmon420 Well-Known Member

Member:
    miami, florida
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma
    18x9 pro comp 7031 rims, alpine iva-d310 w/sirius sat radio, ipod connection, tv tuner, reverse camera, bug deflector, wet okole seat covers, tinted windows, running boards, toytec coilovers front set at 2.5'' , AAL rear,5100's rear, TC UCA, leer topper, bruteforce rear bumper, ARB rear locker.
    go with sirius so that u get howard and bubba the love sponge really funny then if u want get the best of xm for an extra charge
    [​IMG]

19. Jun 24, 2009 at 6:50 AM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    Sirius ftw.

20. Jun 24, 2009 at 7:27 AM
    neslerrah

neslerrah Taco lovin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Harrelsen
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    5 lug BEAST!
    Secondary air filter removed, elbow mod, BFG T/A KO (31x10.5R15), 15" American Racing Mojaves, BHLM, Dome Light MOD (Blue), Pioneer headunit, Sockmonkey 'TACOMA' Decals, Readylift 5-lug SST, Rear Shocks - Bilstein TRD, Dynomax Super Turbo #17748, DDM Slim Ballast HID Kit H4 Hi/Lo -35W 6000K in headlights, Apexcone Raptor HID Kit H3 - 35W 6000K in Hella 500s, aFe CAI #51-10762, WeatherTech Floorliner, 200W Smart AC Inverter
    Go with Sirius.

Products Discussed in

To Top