Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

XM or Sirius?

Old 06-22-2009, 06:24 AM   #1
Blueridge is on a distinguished road

Blueridge's Tacoma Gallery
XM or Sirius?

I thought they were one in the same now . My dealer is giving me a sat. radio install kit. They asked if I wanted XM or Sirius? Which one to choose?
Old 06-22-2009, 06:31 AM   #2
Fire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fire931's Tacoma Gallery
they are different signals still with different channel numbers.. but they both have the exact same programming now so it really dosnt make any difference anymore.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:06 AM   #3
Tacoma TSS
dalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dale
dalesrn's Tacoma Gallery
Sirius

I think the majority of the channels are the same, but there are some differences. Ex: Sirius has NASCAR in their basic package, but you have to get the XM with the Best of Sirius (pay extra) if you have XM and want NASCAR.

The Best of Sirius on XM cost extra. Think about what you like to listen to, and then decide. I have Sirius, and I love it. I have it in my Tacoma and my wife's Expedition (Don't buy a Ford)!

Dale

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/Conten...=1218563499691

http://www.xmradio.com/onxm/full-channel-listing.xmc
Old 06-22-2009, 08:03 AM   #4
LTCPipkin is on a distinguished road
Army:
LTCPipkin's Tacoma Gallery
Somewhere I remember reading that the already installed SAT Radio antenna was specific to Sirius, not XM. Are the two (XM and Sirius) antenna technologies the same/different?

Also, given the fact that the BRAND NEW radio in my 2009 DC is possessed and turns itself off and on as it chooses, not sure I want to invest the money to make it "SAT Capable". With an 8 week "backordered" status for replacements to this OEM radio, it means I would wait a long time to get the same POS installed. Any word on Toyota fixing this radio and shipping out a fixed version?

Thanks,
Michael
Old 06-22-2009, 08:15 AM   #5
indycross has much to be proud ofindycross has much to be proud ofindycross has much to be proud ofindycross has much to be proud ofindycross has much to be proud ofindycross has much to be proud ofindycross has much to be proud ofindycross has much to be proud ofindycross has much to be proud ofindycross has much to be proud of

Name: Ross
indycross's Tacoma Gallery
Sirius all the way! XM still pushes commercials from time to time between music. I also think that the Sirius DJ talent is way better.

My truck is coming with XM.... yeah that's changing as soon as i get it.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:38 AM   #6
If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off
Rocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Rocketball's Tacoma Gallery
Although they did merge into one company, I'd go with Sirius.

Sirius is the "main company" regarding anything to do with the merger. I would expect in a few years that the XM name goes away and they make all original XM subscribers swith their equipment to Sirius so they only have to maintain and broadcast one system. That's only my opinion though.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:48 AM   #7
JeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JeffRock's Tacoma Gallery
I really liked Sirius when I had it. And there is some antenna conversion kit from the dealer to use the stock antenna with xm, or sirius.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:35 PM   #8

I was going to add a Starmate Sirius to my old AC but I needed a wire that connected to the antenna port under the kick panel. A member here offered to make and send me one...but that was months ago and it never came . I called today to tell them my choice was Sirius and they told me they would do the Sirius install for free so I don't have to use the Starmate add on unit. I can put that in my wifes RAV4. Thanks for the responses
Old 06-22-2009, 02:17 PM   #9
Slab is on a distinguished road
Slab's Tacoma Gallery
I have Sirius, but if I had it to do over I would go with XM. I believe everything Sirius has you can get with XM, however, you can't get MLB with Sirius due to baseball being greedy.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:20 PM   #10

The sports packages, NFL or MLB were a concern. When I travel btwn home and my mountain place I can get the fightin' Phillies the whole way on AM radio.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:22 PM   #11
Rocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I have had both XM and Sirius at different times, and had each for 2 years or more.

It's just like the Ford vs Chevy debate........

Or Canon vs Nikon......

Check the programming to see if what they offer with their standard subscription is what you want, and if not, who offers the best "The Best of Package".

I think XM subscribers get a better deal if you choose "The Best of Sirius" package, because of the extra channels and programming you get. "The Best of XM" package for Sirius subscribers really is not that great IMO.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:54 PM   #12
saracles is on a distinguished road
saracles's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueridge View Post
I was going to add a Starmate Sirius to my old AC but I needed a wire that connected to the antenna port under the kick panel. A member here offered to make and send me one...but that was months ago and it never came . I called today to tell them my choice was Sirius and they told me they would do the Sirius install for free so I don't have to use the Starmate add on unit. I can put that in my wifes RAV4. Thanks for the responses
When the dealer installed my Sirius add-on they put an extra antenna on the roof (my DC already had the built-in antenna). They claimed the built-in antenna would only work with XM (and apparently their Sirius kit doesn't include any adapter to use it). I ended up getting an adapter cable for about $50 online to use the built-in antenna with the Sirius receiver, and then removed the extra antenna the dealer installed.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:00 PM   #13
The Stroker Ace
hendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
hendooman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by saracles View Post
When the dealer installed my Sirius add-on they put an extra antenna on the roof (my DC already had the built-in antenna). They claimed the built-in antenna would only work with XM (and apparently their Sirius kit doesn't include any adapter to use it). I ended up getting an adapter cable for about $50 online to use the built-in antenna with the Sirius receiver, and then removed the extra antenna the dealer installed.
yeah what a dumbass dealer. All the antenas are the same.

Sirius all the way. I mean they have the grateful dead channel. What else is there to say...it's the freaking dead 24 hours a day!!!
Old 06-23-2009, 05:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendooman View Post
yeah what a dumbass dealer. All the antenas are the same.

Sirius all the way. I mean they have the grateful dead channel. What else is there to say...it's the freaking dead 24 hours a day!!!
Jerry's gone dud. Move on with your life.......
Old 06-23-2009, 05:02 PM   #15
The Stroker Ace
hendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
hendooman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketball View Post
Jerry's gone dud. Move on with your life.......
dude, how can you say that...the beat rolls on.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:24 PM   #17
GoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to all

Air Force: Load Toad (462/2W1)
Name: Jon
GoBlueFan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendooman View Post
dude, how can you say that...the beat rolls on.

nope, the beat's dead.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:31 PM   #18
ozmon420 is just really niceozmon420 is just really niceozmon420 is just really niceozmon420 is just really niceozmon420 is just really nice

ozmon420's Tacoma Gallery
go with sirius so that u get howard and bubba the love sponge really funny then if u want get the best of xm for an extra charge
Old 06-24-2009, 07:50 AM   #19
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
Sirius ftw.