1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ride leveler shocks

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by coma09, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Jun 22, 2009 at 6:51 AM
    coma09

coma09 [OP] Senior Member. Hey, what's That supposed to mean?

Member:
    BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 taco access cab 4x4
    2009 access cab 2wd

looking for part numbers (eg Monroe xxxxxx) for either an air shock kit or coilovers to help limit sag when loaded or trailering.

Local dealers are coming up blank..... even if I suggest they go back to 2005.

Anyone done the work to get lengths/travel and cross reference?

Thanks in advance.

2. Jun 22, 2009 at 6:58 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Well...Coilovers + loaded out trailering won't help you- The rear suspension is leaf and shock. Shocks also won't prevent sagging.

You need to look at add a leaf products for the rear spring pack or an airbag system. Bilstien makes the 5100 series shocks that work nicely with any AAL you'll find. You can also just replace the entire rear leaf pack if you are so motivated.

3. Jun 22, 2009 at 7:09 AM
    coma09

Member:
    BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 taco access cab 4x4
    Adding a leaf - haddn't considered that.
    Would this increase harshness in the ride when unloaded?
    Looking to limit sag, but keep the ride smoothness when empty.

Thanks

4. Jun 22, 2009 at 7:11 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    It will most likely lift your rear end...and it might increase your ride harshness. An airbag system is your best bet I think.

5. Jun 22, 2009 at 7:16 AM
    P. Bauer

P. Bauer Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    TRD S/C :: Intake Camburg SwayAway Magnaflow American Racing Donahoe Racing Wheelers OffRoad
    Check out the Timbren setup, they are sold at various places, including Wheeler's Off-Road.

6. Jun 22, 2009 at 8:52 AM
    TacoTycoon

TacoTycoon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Hayes, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport 4WD Indigo Ink
    Bilstein 5100 Coilovers, Diff Drop Kit, TSB AAL, 285/70/17 BFG A/T Tires, 17X8 Helo HE835 Wheels, Rear Bilstein 5100s, Dual Flowmaster 50 series, TRD CAI, TRD Front Seat Covers, Rear Suspension TSB, 35% Tint, Redline Hood Struts, MagLite Mod
    yeah the timbrens might be a good idea. Baisically an upgraded bump stop that will only come into effect under load.

7. Jun 22, 2009 at 11:22 AM
    coma09

Member:
    BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 taco access cab 4x4
    Been around the shops today. Really hard to find air shocks these days, or coil overs. Seems both styles put too much pressure on the shock mounts, and often snapped them. Trend has disappeared. Yet - Montana vans ship with air shocks, and auto-level system.
    Liked the idea of helper springs, but spring shop said they were junk.
    Seems like the popular options are air bags or an added leaf to the pack.
    Timbrens would be good if I didn't mind the initial sag .... I think I want something to keep it level, and the adjustability of the bags are attractive.

Anyone with bags feel these are working out well? Is a compressor really an option,... or necessary to eliminate the inconvenience for adjusting?

Appreciate the feedback so far..... new learning curve - thought it was going to be a simple trip to the accessory store.

8. Jun 23, 2009 at 1:11 PM
    coma09

Member:
    BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 taco access cab 4x4
    weekend loads, occasional boat loads.
    air shocks would have been ideal, but seem to be passe now.
    air bags sound best for me, so I can unpressurize for regular driving.
    then ... a leaf is zero maintenance ... decisions.

aftermarket shop suggested the air bags can be damaged easily, and even they suggested getting a leaf....

Still calling around for air shocks, but unless I remove one to get all the length and mount specs, no one has a cross-reference. these would be half the price of bags -

:(

9. Jun 23, 2009 at 2:25 PM
    bb609

bb609 O.F.

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport Access Cab
    FOX 2 1/2" CO's STOCK UCA's - They used to be Icons! Icons suck!!! TSB Rear w/Bilstein 5100's - Air Lift System - Leer 550 Bedcover - Ventshades - Yota Bed Mat - Sheepskins!!! - Weathertechs
    I have Air Lift air bags #59561 on my truck. They work very well although they hold very little air volume so just checking pressure, you lose 5 lbs. or so. To solve that problem, I went out and bought the onboard air compressor (#25812) which is a neat system with dual air gauges and controls and just push the button to air them up but haven't installed it yet. Meanwhile, I just had the TSB done on my rear springs so in the end, I might just leave them off. I'll decide after my 5100's are installed. Wanna buy 'em???:D

Products Discussed in

To Top