Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

ride leveler shocks

Old 06-22-2009, 06:51 AM   #1
Senior Member. Hey, what's That supposed to mean?
coma09 will become famous soon enoughcoma09 will become famous soon enough
coma09's Tacoma Gallery
ride leveler shocks

2009 access cab 2wd

looking for part numbers (eg Monroe xxxxxx) for either an air shock kit or coilovers to help limit sag when loaded or trailering.

Local dealers are coming up blank..... even if I suggest they go back to 2005.

Anyone done the work to get lengths/travel and cross reference?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:58 AM   #2
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Well...Coilovers + loaded out trailering won't help you- The rear suspension is leaf and shock. Shocks also won't prevent sagging.

You need to look at add a leaf products for the rear spring pack or an airbag system. Bilstien makes the 5100 series shocks that work nicely with any AAL you'll find. You can also just replace the entire rear leaf pack if you are so motivated.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:09 AM   #3
coma09's Tacoma Gallery
Adding a leaf - haddn't considered that.
Would this increase harshness in the ride when unloaded?
Looking to limit sag, but keep the ride smoothness when empty.

Thanks
Old 06-22-2009, 07:16 AM   #5
P. Bauer is a splendid one to beholdP. Bauer is a splendid one to beholdP. Bauer is a splendid one to beholdP. Bauer is a splendid one to beholdP. Bauer is a splendid one to beholdP. Bauer is a splendid one to beholdP. Bauer is a splendid one to beholdP. Bauer is a splendid one to behold

P. Bauer's Tacoma Gallery
Check out the Timbren setup, they are sold at various places, including Wheeler's Off-Road.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:52 AM   #6
TacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to behold

Name: Justin
TacoTycoon's Tacoma Gallery
yeah the timbrens might be a good idea. Baisically an upgraded bump stop that will only come into effect under load.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:22 AM   #7
coma09's Tacoma Gallery
Been around the shops today. Really hard to find air shocks these days, or coil overs. Seems both styles put too much pressure on the shock mounts, and often snapped them. Trend has disappeared. Yet - Montana vans ship with air shocks, and auto-level system.
Liked the idea of helper springs, but spring shop said they were junk.
Seems like the popular options are air bags or an added leaf to the pack.
Timbrens would be good if I didn't mind the initial sag .... I think I want something to keep it level, and the adjustability of the bags are attractive.

Anyone with bags feel these are working out well? Is a compressor really an option,... or necessary to eliminate the inconvenience for adjusting?

Appreciate the feedback so far..... new learning curve - thought it was going to be a simple trip to the accessory store.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:11 PM   #8
coma09's Tacoma Gallery
weekend loads, occasional boat loads.
air shocks would have been ideal, but seem to be passe now.
air bags sound best for me, so I can unpressurize for regular driving.
then ... a leaf is zero maintenance ... decisions.

aftermarket shop suggested the air bags can be damaged easily, and even they suggested getting a leaf....

Still calling around for air shocks, but unless I remove one to get all the length and mount specs, no one has a cross-reference. these would be half the price of bags -

Old 06-23-2009, 02:25 PM   #9
O.F.
bb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: JFK Center, Fort Bragg, NC
bb609's Tacoma Gallery
I have Air Lift air bags #59561 on my truck. They work very well although they hold very little air volume so just checking pressure, you lose 5 lbs. or so. To solve that problem, I went out and bought the onboard air compressor (#25812) which is a neat system with dual air gauges and controls and just push the button to air them up but haven't installed it yet. Meanwhile, I just had the TSB done on my rear springs so in the end, I might just leave them off. I'll decide after my 5100's are installed. Wanna buy 'em???