Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Epoxy Emblem Removal Help Please!

Old 11-27-2007, 03:20 PM   #1
spencer_hong is on a distinguished road
spencer_hong's Tacoma Gallery
Epoxy Emblem Removal Help Please!

I took of my emblems a while back, painted them black, and put them on with epoxy adhesive. As you guys probably know, epoxy is some tought stuff.

I was looking to see if any of you guys had ideas on how to remove the emblems and clean up the epoxy without ripping off the paint.

One plan was to heat the emblems with a heat gun, peel them off, and hopefully clean everything up with some paint thinner or another substance.

I'd appreciate it if you guys can give me any feedback or any ideas. Kragens, Home Depot, and other auto stores haven't been able to give me any help and you guys are probably the best source. So far I'm leaning towards the stated idea.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:44 PM   #2
bbarian333 is on a distinguished road

bbarian333's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure how tuff the epoxy you used was, but with stock badges you can use thin fishing line . Wrap the line at either end around something you can hold onto well . Pull the line behind the badge and the foam backing will give. Since you used epoxy im not sure how well this will work. I'd give it a carefull try and if you see paint starting to lift, stop.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:45 PM   #3
bbarian333 is on a distinguished road

bbarian333's Tacoma Gallery
the heat will probably help
Old 11-27-2007, 04:49 PM   #4
spp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to behold
spp's Tacoma Gallery
You put epoxy on your paint??????????? It is toast.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:14 PM   #5
Defying Alliances since 2007
TacoTurd will become famous soon enoughTacoTurd will become famous soon enough

TacoTurd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spp View Post
You put epoxy on your paint??????????? It is toast.
+1. Those badges ain't coming off without the paint
Old 11-27-2007, 08:20 PM   #6
yeah it probably wasnt the greatest idea to start with. lol i painted my emblems black and put them back on the same time i did my headlights and tail lights.. i was all into the black. so at kragen they suggested epoxy so i just bought and applied lol.

i think i'll try the heat gun and see if it works.

anymore suggestiosn are appreciated
Old 11-28-2007, 01:21 PM   #7
spp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to behold
spp's Tacoma Gallery
Try freezing them. Maybe the epoxy might be brittle and crack off. But if you put it on clean oil and wax free paint...........TOAST.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:09 PM   #8
Yeah I'll probably just end up leaving them on. But spp... how would I freeze them? lol
Old 11-29-2007, 09:35 AM   #9
spp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer_hong View Post
Yeah I'll probably just end up leaving them on. But spp... how would I freeze them? lol
Dry ice or there are some sprays that freeze warts off. I'm sure there are other things that when sprayed freeze the surrounding area. That's how an Air conditioner works, release of compressed gasses. Or wait for a cold storm and drive to Big Bear.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:13 AM   #10
Unapologetic Texan
sawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to behold

sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
Liquid Nitrogen, if you can get your hands on it
Old 11-29-2007, 11:44 AM   #11
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
get canned air.... like the stuff for cleaning computer keyboards and hold it upside down and spray. it will immediatly put a sheet of ice on whatever it touches. be careful though, you can easily get frostbite from it if it hits your skin. that stuff is cheap too
Old 11-29-2007, 11:49 AM   #12
Sir Anal Loin of Beef
Dcrooks84 has a spectacular aura aboutDcrooks84 has a spectacular aura about

Dcrooks84's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Dcrooks84
Or you could just go out and get a CO2 fire extinguisher. Just make sure that it is CO2 and not an ABC extinguisher! That would probably be the easiest way that i could think for you to freeze it up. But I really don't think that its gonna budge. I would just keep it there, or pay for a new paint job.