1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Epoxy Emblem Removal Help Please!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by spencer_hong, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Nov 27, 2007 at 3:20 PM
    spencer_hong

spencer_hong [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Palos Verdes, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    BlackedOut 07 DC
    K&N Air Charger CAI 63 Series, Flowmaster Delta 50 Series Muffler, Helo Maxx6 Black Wheels 17'', Blacked out headlights, blacked out tail lights, interior neon,, Luminics H4 Pure Blue headlight bulbs, Luminics H10 Pure Blue Fog Light bulbs, 10% tint all around, blacked out emblems, Pioneer In-Dash DVD
    I took of my emblems a while back, painted them black, and put them on with epoxy adhesive. As you guys probably know, epoxy is some tought stuff.

I was looking to see if any of you guys had ideas on how to remove the emblems and clean up the epoxy without ripping off the paint.

One plan was to heat the emblems with a heat gun, peel them off, and hopefully clean everything up with some paint thinner or another substance.

I'd appreciate it if you guys can give me any feedback or any ideas. Kragens, Home Depot, and other auto stores haven't been able to give me any help and you guys are probably the best source. So far I'm leaning towards the stated idea.

2. Nov 27, 2007 at 3:44 PM
    bbarian333

bbarian333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    06, Accesss Cab, TRD Sport
    TRD exh, K&N drop in,TRD seat cvrs,tsb springs
    Not sure how tuff the epoxy you used was, but with stock badges you can use thin fishing line . Wrap the line at either end around something you can hold onto well . Pull the line behind the badge and the foam backing will give. Since you used epoxy im not sure how well this will work. I'd give it a carefull try and if you see paint starting to lift, stop.

3. Nov 27, 2007 at 3:45 PM
    bbarian333

bbarian333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    06, Accesss Cab, TRD Sport
    TRD exh, K&N drop in,TRD seat cvrs,tsb springs
    the heat will probably help

4. Nov 27, 2007 at 4:49 PM
    spp

spp OC, Kalifornia

Member:
    OC California
    You put epoxy on your paint??????????? It is toast.

5. Nov 27, 2007 at 5:14 PM
    TacoTurd

TacoTurd Defying Alliances since 2007

Member:
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, TRD CAI, Bull Bar, PIAA lights, Passport, Bed Mat, UWS Toolbox, Hood Struts, Rear TSB, TRD/Okole Seat Covers, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Burned Carpet, Nasty Dent in Roof
    +1. Those badges ain't coming off without the paint

6. Nov 27, 2007 at 8:20 PM
    spencer_hong

Member:
    Palos Verdes, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    BlackedOut 07 DC
    K&N Air Charger CAI 63 Series, Flowmaster Delta 50 Series Muffler, Helo Maxx6 Black Wheels 17'', Blacked out headlights, blacked out tail lights, interior neon,, Luminics H4 Pure Blue headlight bulbs, Luminics H10 Pure Blue Fog Light bulbs, 10% tint all around, blacked out emblems, Pioneer In-Dash DVD
    yeah it probably wasnt the greatest idea to start with. lol i painted my emblems black and put them back on the same time i did my headlights and tail lights.. i was all into the black. so at kragen they suggested epoxy so i just bought and applied lol.

i think i'll try the heat gun and see if it works.

anymore suggestiosn are appreciated

7. Nov 28, 2007 at 1:21 PM
    spp

spp OC, Kalifornia

Member:
    OC California
    Try freezing them. Maybe the epoxy might be brittle and crack off. But if you put it on clean oil and wax free paint...........TOAST.

8. Nov 28, 2007 at 3:09 PM
    spencer_hong

Member:
    Palos Verdes, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    BlackedOut 07 DC
    Yeah I'll probably just end up leaving them on. But spp... how would I freeze them? lol

9. Nov 29, 2007 at 9:35 AM
    spp

spp OC, Kalifornia

Member:
    OC California
    Dry ice or there are some sprays that freeze warts off. I'm sure there are other things that when sprayed freeze the surrounding area. That's how an Air conditioner works, release of compressed gasses. Or wait for a cold storm and drive to Big Bear.

10. Nov 29, 2007 at 11:13 AM
    sawdust

sawdust Unapologetic Texan

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad Radiant Red V6 Auto DC
    Homelink mirror, tailgate lock, 2ndary air filter removal, Access LE tonneau, Bugflector II, hitch-based bed extender, vent visors, suspension TSB, stall mat
    Liquid Nitrogen, if you can get your hands on it

11. Nov 29, 2007 at 11:44 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    get canned air.... like the stuff for cleaning computer keyboards and hold it upside down and spray. it will immediatly put a sheet of ice on whatever it touches. be careful though, you can easily get frostbite from it if it hits your skin. that stuff is cheap too

12. Nov 29, 2007 at 11:49 AM
    Dcrooks84

Dcrooks84 Sir Anal Loin of Beef

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    05 double cab SR5 Pkg #8 lng bd 4X4
    Removed secondary air filter, Fog light anytime, Map light mod, Scan Gauge II, Polished Stainless Steel Westin E-Series Bull Bar, Black GrilleCraft Grille, Borla CatBack Exhaust
    Or you could just go out and get a CO2 fire extinguisher. Just make sure that it is CO2 and not an ABC extinguisher! That would probably be the easiest way that i could think for you to freeze it up. But I really don't think that its gonna budge. I would just keep it there, or pay for a new paint job.

Products Discussed in

To Top