Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Gap in gauge cluster trim, fix?

Old 06-23-2009, 06:38 AM   #1
STLTaco09 has a spectacular aura aboutSTLTaco09 has a spectacular aura aboutSTLTaco09 has a spectacular aura about
STLTaco09's Tacoma Gallery
Gap in gauge cluster trim, fix?

So I noticed a decent size (to me) gap between the trim around the gauge cluster (above the left most A/C vent) and the flat piece above the gauge cluster itself (not sure what to call it). This is what I'm talking about:

Now the trim piece going around the gauge cluster and the A/C vent was replaced by the dealership after they scratched up the original getting my 09 radio replaced. I just noticed this the other day. Are clips broken? Is something just misaligned and needs to be adjusted?

I hate taking apart this kind of stuff because I always end up breaking something (clips, tabs, etc).

I can push the piece so it sits flush, but it doesn't stay there.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:54 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
If the dealer did it, make them fix it.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:56 AM   #3
Captain Funk
techgeekwill has a spectacular aura abouttechgeekwill has a spectacular aura about
techgeekwill's Tacoma Gallery
Take it back to the dealer. No excuse for that.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:57 AM   #4
STLTaco09 has a spectacular aura aboutSTLTaco09 has a spectacular aura aboutSTLTaco09 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
If the dealer did it, make them fix it.
I know, but my problem is they put in a new radio, fubar'd up some trim pieces. I made them fix that, then they fubar'd up this. It's like an on going process by a bunch of incompetent kids who don't care about their work. If its something I can just do in an hour or something, I'd prefer to go that route. I'm just trying to figure out what I'm getting into before I dig in.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:01 AM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLTaco09 View Post
I know, but my problem is they put in a new radio, fubar'd up some trim pieces. I made them fix that, then they fubar'd up this. It's like an on going process by a bunch of incompetent kids who don't care about their work. If its something I can just do in an hour or something, I'd prefer to go that route. I'm just trying to figure out what I'm getting into before I dig in.
If it wont press right in, hold them accountable for their mistakes. No excuse for that, and they should fix it.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:03 AM   #6
Captain Funk
techgeekwill has a spectacular aura abouttechgeekwill has a spectacular aura about
techgeekwill's Tacoma Gallery
Chances are, they broke a clip or are missing screws. If you do it, and have to go back to the dealer later, they will blame you. You can call Toyota or the DM for the area and complain (Seems to be the only way to get things done right).

Not sure where you are, but if you have another dealer close, try them.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:06 AM   #7
Banned
DdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Crazy
DdayIsNear's Tacoma Gallery
what i do at the stealerships is ask who has worded there the longest and meet the mechanic. then after they work on car/truck and all is good, i request the same person when i drop ti off to work on it. for teh 6 years i owned my 03 MSP, i had only 2 mechanics ever work on the car...so thats what i would do.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:21 AM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by wing103 View Post
Make the dealer fix it. Bring it back. Also check the TSB and have them do it at the same time.
What TSB? I have the rear TSB leaf pack if that is what you are referring to.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:26 AM   #10
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLTaco09 View Post
So I noticed a decent size (to me) gap between the trim around the gauge cluster (above the left most A/C vent) and the flat piece above the gauge cluster itself (not sure what to call it). This is what I'm talking about:

Now the trim piece going around the gauge cluster and the A/C vent was replaced by the dealership after they scratched up the original getting my 09 radio replaced. I just noticed this the other day. Are clips broken? Is something just misaligned and needs to be adjusted?

I hate taking apart this kind of stuff because I always end up breaking something (clips, tabs, etc).

I can push the piece so it sits flush, but it doesn't stay there.

Any insight would be appreciated.
My guess is that they removed the silver bezel from around the radio (not necessary if you are just r/r radio) which is "integrated" into the face piece for the guage surround by overlapping lips. Can be fudgy to reinstall neatly. They just re-installed it improperly.