Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

pulley or belt

Old 06-23-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoskim's Tacoma Gallery
pulley or belt

truck just hit 55,000 miles and after changing the oil i now got this squeeling noise when the truck is in drive and on slow acceleration. im thinking its either the serpentine belt or the idler pulleys after reading other threads with the same problem. anyone else have their pulleys or belt replaced around this mileage? i was also thinking maybe some oil got on the belt or pulleys and is causing the noise. gonna wait a couple days till i take it to the dealer. any other options?
Old 06-23-2009, 02:44 PM   #2
bobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bobwilson1977's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like the belts to me. Pulleys usually don't squeal. You can check and see if you did get some oil on the belt: Just check the underside of each belt. Also check the tension. If there is no oil and it continues squealing for a few days, give the tensioner a little tighten and see if that does the trick. 55k seems very premature for belt failure. Mine lasted 175k before I replaced them.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:49 PM   #3
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
When idler or tensioner pulleys start to go bad they usually make a squeek or rattle noise from the bearing. It's most likely the belt. Try squirting a little water on the belt while it's making the noise and see if it temporarily goes away. If it does, replace the belt.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:51 PM   #5
go shit in your hat
brianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shed
brianr's Tacoma Gallery
Idler/ tensioner pulley.

just did mine 10K miles ago.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:54 PM   #6
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

i dont think its the belt. it wont make the noise if its in park or neutral, only makes it when in drive and slow acceleration. if its the pulleys, they still under the drivetrain warranty?
Old 06-23-2009, 02:55 PM   #8
Tuned By Gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAAC3TACO View Post
When idler or tensioner pulleys start to go bad they usually make a squeek or rattle noise from the bearing. It's most likely the belt. Try squirting a little water on the belt while it's making the noise and see if it temporarily goes away. If it does, replace the belt.

thanks ill try that. it is a squeek/rattle noise now that i think of it
Old 06-23-2009, 02:56 PM   #9
Tuned By Gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnecon2001 View Post
Can you make a recording of the sound?
i will try when i get home from work, its hard cuz it only does it in D, so ill try to get someone to stand infront of the truck to record the sound
Old 06-23-2009, 02:56 PM   #10
go shit in your hat
brianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shed
brianr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoskim View Post
i dont think its the belt. it wont make the noise if its in park or neutral, only makes it when in drive and slow acceleration. if its the pulleys, they still under the drivetrain warranty?

pulleys are covered under the 36K mile warranty.

It only cost me $50.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:59 PM   #11
Tuned By Gadget

thanks guys for ur quick responses. i think brianr nailed it on the spot, ill update after i talk to my service guy
Old 06-23-2009, 03:14 PM   #12
rudy1201 is a jewel in the roughrudy1201 is a jewel in the roughrudy1201 is a jewel in the roughrudy1201 is a jewel in the rough
rudy1201's Tacoma Gallery
Its the belt, Just replaced mine at 77,000 miles. I got an online subscription to chilton repair manuel and I was able to print out the info on how to replace the belt myself. They gave me a diagram of how the belt was routed. You have to take of the skid plate and replace it from under the truck. You release the the tension by turning the tensioner counter clockwise until you are able to put a pin ( I used a small screwdriver) in the corresponding holes to hold the tensioner loose. That will alow you to remove and reinstall the belt.When the new belt is on release the tensioner and remove the pin, Reinstall the skid plate and your done. No more squeaks!
Old 06-23-2009, 09:50 PM   #13
Tuned By Gadget

Update

so was under the truck and noticed a leak where the driveshaft meets the tranny. what you think, warped seal?
Old 06-24-2009, 12:03 AM   #15
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAAC3TACO View Post

This is some good advice and I will second it.

If you spray the belt with some water and your noise does not go away, you most likely have a bad pully. bearing failure in the idler pulleys is a fairly common issue.

Get it covered if your still under warranty, if not they are inexpensive and an easy DIY fix.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:19 AM   #16
Tuned By Gadget

update

so just got back from toyota. the mechanic and i looked forever for the sound after he checked the pulleys and belt. so we noticed that the squeek stopped when the hood was up. he thinks its the headlight and thought they were aftermarket cuz of the BHLM. i giggled and told him it was the oem i just painted them, then told him that no way in hell will the headlight make a rattle/squeek noise. so im looking and im checking my URD intake where the bracket conncects to the frame, and turns out i broke a piece of metal that keeps it connected from hitting the whoops to hard this past weekend. so the connection is kinda loose and makes contact with the metal. im gonna get a longer bolt and get a bigger washer and sandwich is together, hope this works. if not i can always use a zip tie
Old 06-24-2009, 11:43 AM   #18
Tuned By Gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnecon2001 View Post
So what about the oil leak?
oh yea forgot to mention that (there was a drip where the tranny meets the driveshaft). last night i wiped everything off and it didnt even look like tranny oil, looked like engine oil. i drove it bout 20 miles last night and 10 miles today to the dealer and its still spotless. so im gonna keep an eye on that and if the seal was warped there should be fluid splattered around that area but its clean. im gonna be peeking under there for the next week to make sure.