Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What would be a better choice first?

Old 11-28-2007, 02:23 PM   #1
Carolina Alliance
07TRDsport is on a distinguished road

07TRDsport's Tacoma Gallery
What would be a better choice first?

id like to know what would give me better milage and horsepower...

I found a AFE magnum intake for $330

oooor

The JBA headers for $349

which should i buy first... or any other brands you think are betteR?
Old 11-28-2007, 03:22 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07TRDsport View Post
id like to know what would give me better milage and horsepower...

I found a AFE magnum intake for $330

oooor

The JBA headers for $349

which should i buy first... or any other brands you think are betteR?
the afe is a pretty good set-up i hear, just not so sure for $330. i also hear that the jba headers arent really worth the money, and the doug thorley headers are good. no experience myself with any of these, just what i hear.

probably, the best "bang for your buck" would be to go with urd's tcai and maf calibrator. a little on the expensive side, but awesome results i hear. send a pm to pb2themax, as he has this setup, and see what he has to say about it.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:50 PM   #3
morcheez is on a distinguished road
morcheez's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to morcheez
not sure about the intake but if u want headers get the ones here
http://coast2coastperf.com/
Old 11-29-2007, 04:49 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance
07TRDsport is on a distinguished road

07TRDsport's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by morcheez View Post
not sure about the intake but if u want headers get the ones here
http://coast2coastperf.com/

do they take out the cats? may i ask why you think they'd be better than the jba's?
Old 11-29-2007, 05:03 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance: Midwest Firearms Division
TuRDTACO is on a distinguished road

TuRDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TuRDTACO
i heard the jba's don't have a very good fit, but i haven't tried them so i don't know for sure. the CAI will give you more power and gas mileage than the headers would when used with a stock intake system, so get the CAI first and go from there. i'd also do a cat-back exhaust before the headers, and i removed the rear 2 converters from my V6 and it gave me a little bump in throttle response and power, or it felt like it did anyway. the shorter the exhaust system the better, if you want to copy off of my side exhast feel free . i wouldn't pull off all 4 converters, reason being you still need some backpressure on a naturally aspirated engine, plus the removal of the first 2 converters will present the need for a CEL eliminator. the 4 o2 sensors are just before and after the first 2 cats, so removal of the 2nd pair for me created no other issues
Old 11-29-2007, 05:32 PM   #6
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
the ones on the c2c site say that they remove the front 2 cats and will throw a CEL
Old 11-29-2007, 05:47 PM   #7

you can always try using spark plug non-foulers to fix the CEL lights, they have worked on every car of mine that needed them
Old 11-29-2007, 06:30 PM   #8
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
i'd get the doug thorley headers if i were getting any...just based on word of mouth reviews
Old 11-29-2007, 06:44 PM   #9
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
The JBA's require welding. The DT headers are bolt it and remove 2 of your 4 cats.

I've been very happy so far with my URD intake. I'm about to also install the URD MAF calibration unit which is supposed to further help out.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:00 PM   #10

i want an intake soon but i don't know which way i'll end up going, i've heard good things about the k&n one too and it's way cheaper
Old 11-29-2007, 09:07 PM   #11
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not a big fan of the oiled filters. I've heard too much about the oil in the filter foiling the MAF sensor. The URD has a dry filter.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:10 PM   #12

yea i've heard that a few times but i've also talked to a couple people that never had a problem with it, so i dunno what way to go. kind of the same issue with front spacers, i need them now that the TSB was done