1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My clutch just shit the bed

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TacoCo, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Jun 24, 2009 at 12:49 PM
    TacoCo

TacoCo [OP] Aspiring wrench monkey

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road DC V6 Magnetic Gray
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    Just under 13k miles :mad: I pushed in the clutch to pop it into 3rd gear, heard a pop, and the pedal was stuck on the floor. I popped it back up with my toe, but there was no resistance thru the downstroke of the pedal motion until about the last 2-3" of it. It would get stuck halfway up, and eventually pop back up. I coasted into a parking lot, and couldn't get it to go back into gear

Called the dealership, they'll pay for a tow as long as it was a warranty issue (ie. if I burned up the clutch plate, I have to pay). Luckily I had an appointment for Friday to have the subwoofer amplifier TSB done. Service manager said he had the parts in for that, and that he'd try to get the clutch fixed by Monday.

I checked the fluid reservoir, and it was full, so I'm guessing that the internal seals in the master or slave cylinder failed.

2. Jun 24, 2009 at 1:03 PM
    white91formula

white91formula Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    05 6speed TRD OR
    i had mine go at 4k miles, i now have 5500 miles on the truck and it has never been the same since.... idk if you have had any clutch chatter problems with your truck, but dont back down, the 09's are having clutch problems. they switched manufacturers of the clutch for this year and the pressure plates are turning out to be bad. at least that is what the dealer has told me beacuse they have seen a few in for the same thing. just a heads up that its been a constant battle to try and get it fixed.

3. Jun 24, 2009 at 1:11 PM
    TacoCo

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    Thanks for the info '91. The service manager at my dealership has been great to work with... so far. They ordered the amplifier for the Subwoofer TSB and the rear leaf springs for the suspension TSB without me bringing the tuck in for an inspection.

I haven't experienced any chatter issues with the clutch, but I've never been crazy about the engagement release point. I did have the pedal assembly replaced due to squeaking, and I had installed a URD short throw shifter a few weeks ago... everything was finally shifting smoothly together... Oh well.

4. Jun 24, 2009 at 1:17 PM
    white91formula

Member:
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    05 6speed TRD OR
    i cant get the suspension tsb done... they wont do it and corporate keeps saying no

i dont get it, everyone else seems to have no problems with this and i have had nothing but problems.

5. Jun 24, 2009 at 1:34 PM
    FL4x4Taco

FL4x4Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerforce clutch..... Get one. I had the flywheel resurfaced and put a Centerforce clutch in my early 90's 4runner. WOW. Loved it.

6. Jun 24, 2009 at 1:45 PM
    Pitt1552

Pitt1552 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Regular Cab 4x4
    I'm also experiencing a bit of chatter on my '09 w/ 4500 miles on it. Also experience a bit of "bucking" from time to time. Never beat on the truck/clutch, so it kinda irks me. Taking the truck in tomorrow to have the radio replaced, figure I'll see what they can do about it. Not gonna hold my breath though.

7. Jun 24, 2009 at 3:11 PM
    FL4x4Taco

FL4x4Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    So I take it the new 6spd isn't a good setup like the old R154 5spd?

8. Jun 24, 2009 at 3:21 PM
    FoxRacR17

FoxRacR17 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 SR5 DoubleCab Short Bed
    Fox 2.5 C/O's, Fox 2.0 rear shocks, toytec 1.5" AAL, TC UCA's, blue/white dashboard lights, seatbelt chime removed, Synthetic leather armrests, WO seat covers front and back, Goodyear Wranger Duratrac 285/70/17, KMC XD Addict 17x9 rims
    sounds like your clutch cable went out to me. That always happens on my '76 capri, I will start to hear some snapping sounds sometimes when i put in the clutch and I know that is the sound of the metal cable starting to break and its not to long before the cable will break completely. I was driving home from my girlfriends house one night and i put the clutch in and i hear a snap and the clutch pedel went all the way to the floor and i stalled my car. I had to put it in 3rd gear and crank the car and start it that way and drive it all the way home in 3rd gear. At least it was at 2 in the morning and not to many car were on the road so i was just running the stop signs and lights.

9. Jun 24, 2009 at 3:51 PM
    TacoCo

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    I'm no mechanic, but I thought it was a hydraulic system, so if the cable snapped, it would have leaked fluid all over the place, and it didn't.

10. Jun 24, 2009 at 7:13 PM
    FoxRacR17

FoxRacR17 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 SR5 DoubleCab Short Bed
    Fox 2.5 C/O's, Fox 2.0 rear shocks, toytec 1.5" AAL, TC UCA's, blue/white dashboard lights, seatbelt chime removed, Synthetic leather armrests, WO seat covers front and back, Goodyear Wranger Duratrac 285/70/17, KMC XD Addict 17x9 rims
    Your probably right, I'm thinking old school. This is my first new vehicle ever, like I said my other car is a '76 and thats what i learned on, lol.

11. Jun 24, 2009 at 7:15 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    It is hydraulic

12. Jun 24, 2009 at 7:18 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    Sorry to hear about your clutch, this is the second 09 I have heard with a problem.
    Now tell me about this "subwoofer amplifier TSB". I have not heard anything, did they come up with a fix for that POS behind my back seat. :notsure:

13. Jun 24, 2009 at 7:29 PM
    Disorderly

Disorderly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sounds like a failure in the hydraulic clutch system.

14. Jun 25, 2009 at 5:43 AM
    TacoCo

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    There was a bad batch of amplifiers from JBL that distort the subwoofer badly... If your Vin# is one of the earlier ones made at the California plant it will qualify for a replacement. There's a thread about it in the Audio/Video forum with a PDF of the TSB.

Here's the TSB:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...ble-cab-stereo-interference-6.html#post609486

15. Jun 25, 2009 at 11:48 AM
    jfr02

jfr02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 dcsb 6spd sport
    if your having issues with your clutches please let toyota know i'm having issues with mine so if we all bitch maybe something will get done

16. Jun 25, 2009 at 11:52 AM
    Pitt1552

Pitt1552 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Regular Cab 4x4
    will do!

17. Jun 25, 2009 at 11:53 AM
    kilgoja

kilgoja Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2009 regular cab 4x4 2.7L (silver)
    :mudding:
    that is crap dude...my 1988 clutch lasted 300k miles!!! i never changed it...my clutch master cylinder went out a few times but that was like $50 to get a new one....also it may just be a bolt came loose or something like that on the clutch pedal arm...that happened to me right after i had my master cylinder replaced once...lol...they just tightened it back up and it worked fine

18. Jun 25, 2009 at 1:01 PM
    BSP4x4

BSP4x4 Guest

What does the clutch chatter sound like? I've been having issues with a shaking noise coming from down under my feet when i coast over bumps in Neutral. IS this clutch chatter? I've also noticed that I get some bucking every once in a while...it's an 09 4X4 access cab Manual...

see this thread:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/41328-noise-neutral.html

19. Jun 25, 2009 at 1:03 PM
    white91formula

Member:
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    05 6speed TRD OR
    clutch chatter is more of the truck shuttering or bucking i guess when your letting the clutch out

it happens when it is either not balanced, there is oil on the disk, or its not engaging uniformly.

its not really a noise as much as something you feel

20. Jun 25, 2009 at 1:16 PM
    BSP4x4

BSP4x4 Guest

I've had this happen before...and I'm sooo careful and gentile when I drive it.

is this covered under warrenty...i only have 1500 mi,les!!!

Products Discussed in

To Top