Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

New Taco in lot paint defects

Old 06-28-2009, 02:45 PM   #21
09 but I drive a 012 Expedition...
tacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff...I'm pretty sure
tacoholic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacoholic
GO FAR AWAY NOW!!! If I know problems with vehicles (trust me, I do) if the thing is that new and you get something major like that tehn you should leave for Europe and FAST!

(and get your money back, that's the highest form of BS)
Old 06-28-2009, 04:42 PM   #22
Razorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Razorecko's Tacoma Gallery
You might want to consider a metallic color. There reason the metallics are better and a few hundred dollars more is they usually are a 3 coat paint job and are alot more durable than solid colors like black or white.
Old 06-28-2009, 04:52 PM   #23
thecreeper is on a distinguished road
thecreeper's Tacoma Gallery
ok so i went to yet another dealer with my OCD in full overdrive... looked over their Taco stock. They had one TRD in silver and it looked clean minus a few scuff marks on the drivers side door and a tiny scuff on the rear bumper. No paint issues.

I have been to one dealer an hour away and their TRD had that paint defect (pics). I will go an hour the other way as one dealer shows they have a black and gray...

In my area they seem to be overstocked with SR5 models. Its like the dealers ordered way too many of them.

So I guess the paint on the Taco is really not good. If there are that many new 09s on the lot with these types of paint defects that's not giving me a good feeling.

Not sure if someone answered this but will paint be covered under warranty?
Old 06-28-2009, 04:57 PM   #24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorecko View Post
You might want to consider a metallic color. There reason the metallics are better and a few hundred dollars more is they usually are a 3 coat paint job and are alot more durable than solid colors like black or white.
very true. i noticed that the solid color Tacos showed the imperfections. Like fine scratch marks (and they are 09s), dirt, etc... the silver I looked at was clean BUT the metallic gray had signs of this "etching", granted it was very very tiny and hard to see but it was there... i don't know. OCD i am now.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:02 PM   #25
Razorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Razorecko's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecreeper View Post
very true. i noticed that the solid color Tacos showed the imperfections. Like fine scratch marks (and they are 09s), dirt, etc... the silver I looked at was clean BUT the metallic gray had signs of this "etching", granted it was very very tiny and hard to see but it was there... i don't know. OCD i am now.
I have the taco in pyrite and my paint was perfect, I did notice a small white scratch near my door handle ( probally from highways ) that easily buffed out with some scratch remover. You should really consider a metallic color as its ALOT easier for maintenance and repair/ buff/
Old 06-28-2009, 05:08 PM   #26
i am thinking of going that way... i really love black but its just way too hard to maintain.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:38 AM   #27
yes, this morning bright and early a dealership called me about a gray they have - it just came in last week and it still has the protective film on it! i'm there!
Old 07-01-2009, 01:02 PM   #28
funny the dealer with the black TRD OR called me back and asked me to come in as they "fixed" the paint problem on the black i was interested in. so for laughs i went in and bingo, the hood no longer has any defects in the paint. i still walked but the sales man was begging me not to go. $6,200k off MSRP very desperate!!!! when i walked he actually put his hands on me!!! requesting i stay and asking me why i won't buy buy it, this is a deal of a lifetime, blah blah.

my questions are:

So is the paint REALLY FIXED? I assume they had their detail guys fix it...

Why is Toyota so desperate!? hahaha. good for us but i can guarantee that they would never have behaved like this last year...Toyota must be hurting as bad as Chevy...

i'm pretty much settled on the gray and will be closing the deal saturday.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:22 PM   #29
Schatten is on a distinguished road
Schatten's Tacoma Gallery
Hello TW members, I have been lurking this forum for a while and finally bought my first prerunner double cab 2wd. It came with a paint defect on a door. Those metally specs (?) were not spread out evenly so one section of the door looks like wax residue that won't come off. I discovered this after I brought it home. Dealer will repaint the door and give me a rental Taco but it just makes me sick to my stomach to think that I bought a new truck to have it repainted. I accept my responsibility but the dealership and Toyota corporation of America should accept the responsibility for shoddy quality control work. So word to the wise, inspect your new vehicle thoroughly before you sign anywhere on the dotted line. (sorry my first post had to be a downer)
Old 10-11-2011, 05:30 PM   #30
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
My recent experience buying this Taco we a bit of a downer also. Vehicle's alignment was way off, all tires were only filled to 20psi, the blower motor started chirping at less than a month old, the rear leafs are already squeaking, the windshield was whistling on the highway, blah, blah, blah...So far Toyota has taken care of the problems w/o questions for the most part. I am shocked at the lower quality control standards than I have been with any of my 4 previous Toyotas.

I still love my Taco...

Way to resurrect a dead thread..lol
Old 10-11-2011, 05:48 PM   #31
Black Sand Mirror
808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of

Name: Justin
808TRDTaco10's Tacoma Gallery
My Taco had so much permanent acid rain spots on the roof when it was brand new. Tried everything to remove it; clay bar, compound, etc but nothing worked so I brought it back to the dealer and they repainted it free of charge. They didn't even look at it and they agreed to pay for the work, so I'm assuming that they knew well about the problem before I got the truck.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:16 PM   #32
Schatten is on a distinguished road
Schatten's Tacoma Gallery
Latest update

Sorry about bringing back this old thread...

Latest update on my paint situation. They had someone repaint the defect and it didn't come out to my satisfaction so they are going to give me another truck. Rodland Toyota of Everett has a customer for life. I am still shocked they are doing what they said they are going to do. I guess the humanity still have some hope.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:48 PM   #33
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schatten View Post

Latest update on my paint situation. They had someone repaint the defect and it didn't come out to my satisfaction so they are going to give me another truck. Rodland Toyota of Everett has a customer for life. I am still shocked they are doing what they said they are going to do. I guess the humanity still have some hope.
I had a couple of small scratches and a small dent from the transport truck (I believe).
Had to clay bar the whole truck. Need to do it again. I looked at a couple of trucks including a black one which was horrible. They got this one from another dealer and it was the best paint out of the bunch. Once you paint a new truck it never looks the same down the road. My F.I.L. was a body man and told me if i couldn't live with the paint, don't buy it.

I'm happy your getting a new truck.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:24 PM   #34
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schatten View Post

That is excellent! That is a dealer that you can tell your friends about.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:32 AM   #35
Silvert is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeff
Silvert's Tacoma Gallery
walk away

After owning 26 cars and trucks and detailing hundreds...that appears to be a problem with the primer. It is likely only the beginning of lots of problems. The paint is going to pop off even more.