1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How much is too much? Weight that is...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DrRabbitFurHead, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Jun 27, 2009 at 5:19 PM
    DrRabbitFurHead

DrRabbitFurHead [OP] Yeah, there's a TSB for that!

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    X-treme Off Road Edition (4x4)
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
    I have the DR front coilovers and have them set at ~2.5" to save the CV boots and level out the stance of the truck. I'm on the list for the next round of All Pro front plate bumpers and I'm *considering* going ahead and getting a winch and lights. I have several questions:

1. If I add the ~140lb. bumper, the guys at DR said that would be fine, but if I add a winch would that be too much weight on the coilovers? The guys at DR didn't want to say.

2. If I'm set at 2.5" now and the heavier bumper lowers the front end a touch and I then increase the height of the front a little more to compensate by adjusting the coilovers, will this additional height negatively affect the CV boots? I'm thinking it might, but am not sure. The coilovers will be set higher, but the extra weight on the springs will lower things...

3. Finally, if I get the PIAA driving lights from All Pro, can I wire in the lights to the factory wires and use the factory fog light switch to use them as fog lights? I don't mind cutting or splicing wires, but I'm not sure about the fuze. My gut says the fuze will blow (because whenever I mod something, something else always goes wrong), but that's just a guess. I asked All Pro when I ordered the bumper and they sent me to TTORA...

Any help would be appreciated. TIA...

2. Jun 27, 2009 at 5:46 PM
    brianr

brianr go shit in your hat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    BUILT, not bought...
    interesting username you have.

3. Jun 27, 2009 at 6:18 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    #1) the CO's should definately handle it all
    #2) i believe that if u increase the CO's to handle the added weight and get back to 2.5", the CV's will remain the same, but the ride would be stiffer due to the tightened CO's
    #3) i wired in the PIAA 510 Ion Plasma's to the factory wires. i've run them for hours at a time and nothing has blown. on a side note, do everything u need to do BEFORE putting the bumper on the truck. even installing the fog's is a bitch w/ that bumper on...also includes the BHLM b/c that 4th screw underneath is a whore

Products Discussed in

To Top