Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

4 wd Fuel Consumption?

Old 12-01-2007, 09:28 AM   #1
Terrier is on a distinguished road
Terrier's Tacoma Gallery
4 wd Fuel Consumption?

How does the use of 4wd affect fuel consumption? For example, the 2008 EPA milage estimate for my Tacoma is 17/22 (2.7 Access Cab). How would the use of 4wd affect those figures? Thanks.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:08 AM   #2
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrier View Post
How does the use of 4wd affect fuel consumption? For example, the 2008 EPA milage estimate for my Tacoma is 17/22 (2.7 Access Cab). How would the use of 4wd affect those figures? Thanks.
Not quite half, a little better, realize that 4wd is a huge tool when the ultimate goal is to get where you're going, it's not about mileage. I'ts a cost I will spend all day long, but considering where I live, a no-brainer.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:14 PM   #3
Terrier is on a distinguished road
Terrier's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by concrete jedi View Post
Not quite half, a little better, realize that 4wd is a huge tool when the ultimate goal is to get where you're going, it's not about mileage. I'ts a cost I will spend all day long, but considering where I live, a no-brainer.

Thanks for your reply. Are you saying about an average of 10 mpg in 4wd? Wow, I didn't realize it would be such a difference.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:08 AM   #4
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrier View Post
Thanks for your reply. Are you saying about an average of 10 mpg in 4wd? Wow, I didn't realize it would be such a difference.
Yeah it kind of bites ! I see 10 maybe 12 offroad playing in mud, 12 -14 mpg on road lets say on the way home, snow covered, sloppy, icey. Still with those dismal numbers I would have it any other way, getting home, and doing it better than anyone else !
Old 12-03-2007, 08:34 AM   #5
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
I'll take 12 to 14 mpg if it means being more stable on an icy road and keeping out of a ditch...
Old 12-03-2007, 05:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
I'll take 12 to 14 mpg if it means being more stable on an icy road and keeping out of a ditch...
Just tonight I engaged the front end and drove in relative security for many miles, had I not had it, I would be like the rest people struggling to keep it between the paint lines.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:49 AM   #7
rmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud of

rmd0311's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just tonight I engaged the front end and drove in relative security for many miles, had I not had it, I would be like the rest people struggling to keep it between the paint lines.
I don't know about ya'll... But I used 4wd extensively on Sunday. I would say of the 250 miles the truck had when I filled up, a good 100-125 were with the 4WD engaged. It was disgusting and I had to get there, I rather use it than lose it.

I filled up and got about 16mpg... About 1/2 of the miles being on 4WD.

I like that alot. My old pathfinder would have given me a wimpy 10-12 on the same route.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:34 AM   #8
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Just having 4wd will also hit on your mileage. Toyota rates the prerunner and 4wd as having the same mpg, but this is definitely not the case.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
Just having 4wd will also hit on your mileage. Toyota rates the prerunner and 4wd as having the same mpg, but this is definitely not the case.
So what is the case ? I have heard this and that, so do you get better ?
Old 12-04-2007, 07:30 PM   #10
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So what is the case ? I have heard this and that, so do you get better ?
of course
Old 12-04-2007, 07:38 PM   #11
SilverStreaker is on a distinguished road

SilverStreaker's Tacoma Gallery
I also live in Rochester, NY Concrete Jedi. This is my first winter utilizing a 4wd vehicle. Our weather has been for the birds lately here but there's nothing worse than driving to work on a Monday morning in a 2wd vehicle finding yourself bitching and moaning at work about how awful your commute was. Now I find myself actually looking forward to using the 4wd. F the mpg - I'd rather pay the extra cash in gas than a $500 deductible.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverStreaker View Post
I also live in Rochester, NY Concrete Jedi. This is my first winter utilizing a 4wd vehicle. Our weather has been for the birds lately here but there's nothing worse than driving to work on a Monday morning in a 2wd vehicle finding yourself bitching and moaning at work about how awful your commute was. Now I find myself actually looking forward to using the 4wd. F the mpg - I'd rather pay the extra cash in gas than a $500 deductible.
Welcome, and truer words have not been spoken. I could not imagine the maddness with 2wd on our idiot filled death ribbons. We'll have to hook up and check out our rigs, do you have pix ?
Old 12-04-2007, 07:48 PM   #13
SilverStreaker is on a distinguished road

SilverStreaker's Tacoma Gallery
The pics are in my profile. I haven't updated them since I installed the Undercover and the blacked-out headlights but nevertheless, it's still a beauty. I think there's other Rochestarians on this board. We should get together.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:00 PM   #14

I am going to look now, and yes we should.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:09 PM   #15

Nice rig, love the color !
Old 12-05-2007, 12:20 AM   #16
Carolina Alliance: Midwest Firearms Division
TuRDTACO is on a distinguished road

TuRDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TuRDTACO
Quote:
i have MAD sideways driving skills in my taco bro
Old 12-05-2007, 12:23 AM   #17

hey i live right by you guys concretejedi!!!
Old 12-05-2007, 06:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRDTACO View Post
hey i live right by you guys concretejedi!!!
Well, next time your in town stop by for a few "pops" , then we'll see your mad skills on the sideways driving.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:24 AM   #19

Quote:
Well, next time your in town stop by for a few "pops" , then we'll see your mad skills on the sideways driving.
i try not to drink too many "carbonated beverages" sir haha j/k, but i don't drink pop hardly at all...oooooh i said it....but hey i'll bring some beer!! beer just led to another exhaust mod on my taco, i am proud to say that HANDS DOWN, I OWN THE LOUDEST TACO OF TACOMAWORLD! don't i get some kind of award for having an exhaust that rattles my empty sweet tea cans in the cupholders? honestly the whole truck vibrates and shakes haha
Old 12-06-2007, 09:06 AM   #20
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRDTACO View Post
i try not to drink too many "carbonated beverages" sir haha j/k, but i don't drink pop hardly at all...oooooh i said it....but hey i'll bring some beer!! beer just led to another exhaust mod on my taco, i am proud to say that HANDS DOWN, I OWN THE LOUDEST TACO OF TACOMAWORLD! don't i get some kind of award for having an exhaust that rattles my empty sweet tea cans in the cupholders? honestly the whole truck vibrates and shakes haha
Damn it!!! Every time you use that word and angel doesn't get its wings...