Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Midwest winter driving

Old 12-03-2007, 03:16 PM   #21
MMurray is on a distinguished road
MMurray's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Since I grew up in Iowa driving on snow is second nature. I even learned to drive with rear wheel drive cars. I think I will pick up a couple of bags of tube sand for the next snow storm. Worst case scenario I end up using them on ice on the driveway.

I liked the idea of using beer for the weight but have concerns about it getting gradually lighter and lighter while driver and any lucky passengers might be paying less and less attention......As you know all really good truck stories usually begin with then I said here hold my beer....

Mike
08 Tacoma SR5 Access Cab, Indigo Ink Pearl, 4 cyl, 5 spd
Old 12-03-2007, 04:09 PM   #22
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
MMurray, well driving a 2wheeler in the snow is one thing, ice is another. While you are safer in a 4 wheel drive, ice is a bummer no matter what your in.Just creep along is the only answer, if you can get your truck going in a straight line.
Now for the snow problem, weight in the back is good, perhaps more sandbags over the rear axle, just like your doing, also you could invest in a good set of winter tires and wheels , I realize that there is some expense, but Tire Rack and those type places can get you excellent snow tires and rims, all balanced and will ship to you. You don't need fancy rims either or perhaps go to a salvage yard and pick up some rims and have good snows put on them.
I have a 4x4 access, 06, V6, 6spd and in two wheel in the snow , its useless, but in 4wheel its does an outstanding job. Plus the standard shift allows you to control things better in my opinion, as you can use the engine as a "brake" .
Caution and a very light foot is the key in the snow.

Jeff ,06,V6,6spd, 4x4, SR5 access cab. Radiant Red
I could not agree with you more, I myself have a 6 & 6 and I am currently getting hammered by the weather, I put it in 4wd, let the truck do all the work.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:41 PM   #23
Carolina Alliance: Midwest Firearms Division
TuRDTACO is on a distinguished road

TuRDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TuRDTACO
Quote:
Originally Posted by concrete jedi View Post
I could not agree with you more, I myself have a 6 & 6 and I am currently getting hammered by the weather, I put it in 4wd, let the truck do all the work.
i would never put the burden of doing all the work on my taco, i'd rather put in a minimal effort and enjoy my drive knowing that it's not just the truck being great but i also am a perfect driver
Old 12-03-2007, 06:32 PM   #24
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRDTACO View Post
i would never put the burden of doing all the work on my taco, i'd rather put in a minimal effort and enjoy my drive knowing that it's not just the truck being great but i also am a perfect driver
And your modest !
Old 12-03-2007, 06:39 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by concrete jedi View Post
And your modest !
oh absolutely, if i wasn't as good as i am i wouldnt be bragging about myself lol
Old 12-04-2007, 10:57 AM   #26
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
hey buddy, don't be hatin'. i defy my age in knowledge and wisdom, much like a community elder
Is this why you've had half a dozen tickets at least 2 of which in your truck that you just got recently? Is that what we consider wisdom now a days?
Old 12-04-2007, 12:18 PM   #27
Jeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to all

Army: Sp4 in Personel Section HQ CO.
Jeff's Tacoma Gallery
2 dozen tickets, ouch, how's your insurance premiums? If you get alot of tickets, you can bet that your the top of the pool in your local insurance office !
Jeff, 06,V6, 6spd, SR5
Old 12-04-2007, 12:40 PM   #28
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
2 dozen tickets, ouch, how's your insurance premiums? If you get alot of tickets, you can bet that your the top of the pool in your local insurance office !
Jeff, 06,V6, 6spd, SR5
I'm sorry i meant to say half a dozen (ithink i remember TuRD saying something about 6 tickets...) i'll fix that in my original post real quick...
Old 12-04-2007, 08:42 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
Is this why you've had half a dozen tickets at least 2 of which in your truck that you just got recently? Is that what we consider wisdom now a days?
wisdom knows no speed limits, my body wanted to move as quickly as my mind
Old 12-04-2007, 08:44 PM   #30

Quote:
Jeff, 06,V6, 6spd, SR5
i've actually gotten maybe 6 tickets in the past 4 years, and 2 of those were in my taco one right after the other a few weeks ago. i've been pulled over around 40 times so far, but my small number of tickets lets you know how much i appreciate my dad being a cop. haha i win
Old 12-04-2007, 09:17 PM   #31
Unapologetic Texan
sawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to behold

sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That explains the donuts.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:49 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
That explains the donuts.
donuts happen when there is a glitch in my brain...kinda like a dog chasing it's tail ya know
Old 12-05-2007, 07:55 AM   #33

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Cant find a flaw with that logic
Old 12-05-2007, 10:50 AM   #34
Jeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to all

Army: Sp4 in Personel Section HQ CO.
Jeff's Tacoma Gallery
Hmmmm 6 tickets in 4 years, I hate to tell you what your insurance rates would be in good 'olde Mass., where the Ins Co.'s treat even a good driver unfairly. If you get a couple of speeding tickets in one year its going to cost you probably $500+ per year for three years.
You gotta remember how good Mass. drivers are! We got young adults and Mom's driving, talking on the phone, backing up and drinking damned Dunkin Donuts latte's all at the same time. The first thing you learn in Mass. is to learn how to park by "ear" .....crash...oops someone ran into me !
Lets face it many of the kids today cannot even drive a standard shift, or have a real clue how to drive and are just passed thru drivers ed school. Its such a PC world. And my state is the first in line, I am sorry to say.
Jeff, 06,V6,SR5, 4x4 Radiant Red
Old 12-05-2007, 04:20 PM   #35
marvin02 is on a distinguished road

marvin02's Tacoma Gallery
I am in northwest Indiana where we just got about 8 inches of snow. My tonneau cover and bed mat probable weigh 75-80 lbs and I have three 70 lb. sandbags in the bed at the front of the bed. So far this seems fine.

Too much weight makes stopping harder. Putting the weight at the back of the truck can adversely effect front wheel traction.

I am driving an '07 access cab 4 cyl with automatic trans.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:12 PM   #36
MMurray is on a distinguished road
MMurray's Tacoma Gallery
3-5 inches of snow due tomorrow so I stopped and put 2 60lb tubes of sand over the rear wheels. That worked pretty good for my 2000 S10 and 85 Ranger. Although the Tacoma is a larger with the access cab. May have to stop on way home for more sand.

Mike
Old 12-05-2007, 05:18 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMurray View Post
3-5 inches of snow due tomorrow so I stopped and put 2 60lb tubes of sand over the rear wheels. That worked pretty good for my 2000 S10 and 85 Ranger. Although the Tacoma is a larger with the access cab. May have to stop on way home for more sand.

Mike
Yeah i'm getting a good amount of snow as we speak, by the close of business I'll have about 10-12. I getting it from you Mike-thanks !
Old 12-06-2007, 12:19 AM   #38

Quote:
Hmmmm 6 tickets in 4 years, I hate to tell you what your insurance rates would be in good 'olde Mass., where the Ins Co.'s treat even a good driver unfairly. If you get a couple of speeding tickets in one year its going to cost you probably $500+ per year for three years.
You gotta remember how good Mass. drivers are! We got young adults and Mom's driving, talking on the phone, backing up and drinking damned Dunkin Donuts latte's all at the same time. The first thing you learn in Mass. is to learn how to park by "ear" .....crash...oops someone ran into me !
Lets face it many of the kids today cannot even drive a standard shift, or have a real clue how to drive and are just passed thru drivers ed school. Its such a PC world. And my state is the first in line, I am sorry to say.
Jeff, 06,V6,SR5, 4x4 Radiant Red
damn man you're hatin' on me and everyone i know lol, and nobody i know has ever gotten into a wreck or screwed up and we all drive stick except for our trucks. you have to give us SOME credit at least, none of us are dead lol
Old 12-06-2007, 12:20 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin02 View Post
I am in northwest Indiana where we just got about 8 inches of snow. My tonneau cover and bed mat probable weigh 75-80 lbs and I have three 70 lb. sandbags in the bed at the front of the bed. So far this seems fine.

Too much weight makes stopping harder. Putting the weight at the back of the truck can adversely effect front wheel traction.

I am driving an '07 access cab 4 cyl with automatic trans.
no bed cover here, so i have about 8 inches of snow in the bed along with 2 75lb rocks for a little bit of weight lol...what town in indiana are ya in? i'm not too far from you
Old 12-06-2007, 12:22 AM   #40

iowa AND indiana??!?! damn, looks like the midwest division of the alliance may be getting new recruits...texas, keep your eyes peeled and tcbob, get ready to change some more guys into alliance members