Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Midwest winter driving

Old 12-01-2007, 08:50 AM   #1
MMurray is on a distinguished road
MMurray's Tacoma Gallery
Midwest winter driving

OK it finally came in! I picked up my 08 access cab last night. Since I drive 60 miles a day to work I went with a 2 wd 4 cyl 5 spd over the 4X4. Today we are being hit with an ice storm and she isn't going anywhere. My last 2wd truck was an S10 and I would put 2 70lb sand bags in the back for winter driving.

Anyone out there in snow country have a recommendation?
Mike
Old 12-01-2007, 08:59 AM   #2
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMurray View Post
OK it finally came in! I picked up my 08 access cab last night. Since I drive 60 miles a day to work I went with a 2 wd 4 cyl 5 spd over the 4X4. Today we are being hit with an ice storm and she isn't going anywhere. My last 2wd truck was an S10 and I would put 2 70lb sand bags in the back for winter driving.

Mike
Yeah I live in Crapchester N.Y. , if permissable studded tires all the way around, yep even in the fronts, need to stop !
Old 12-01-2007, 12:16 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance: Midwest Firearms Division
TuRDTACO is on a distinguished road

TuRDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TuRDTACO
just got our first snow here, threw a couple 75lb rocks in the bed but i'm still sliding around
Old 12-01-2007, 03:35 PM   #4
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMurray View Post

Mike
You guys are making the news, I should be on the news by mon eve. at the latest, becareful out there.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRDTACO View Post
just got our first snow here, threw a couple 75lb rocks in the bed but i'm still sliding around
But what about all the beer ? will there be enough room ?
Old 12-01-2007, 08:04 PM   #6

the rocks will be gone in time for the meet in the spring lol, my truck will still be the beer truck!! i might have a toolbox by then so we can just fill that with beer if the tarp idea seems too excessive
Old 12-02-2007, 08:12 AM   #7

Quote:
the rocks will be gone in time for the meet in the spring lol, my truck will still be the beer truck!! i might have a toolbox by then so we can just fill that with beer if the tarp idea seems too excessive
SWEET !! Considering I am getting pounded by the first snowstorm of the year, I will bring the ice ! I'll have plenty !
Old 12-02-2007, 08:37 AM   #8
Kevin296@adelphia.net is on a distinguished road
Kevin296@adelphia.net's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Trade it in for a 4x4
Old 12-02-2007, 04:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by concrete jedi View Post
SWEET !! Considering I am getting pounded by the first snowstorm of the year, I will bring the ice ! I'll have plenty !
EVERYTHING here was completely covered in ice yesterday, it suuuucked
Old 12-02-2007, 04:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin296@adelphia.net View Post
Trade it in for a 4x4
i value the effort of 2wd in all reality i wish i had a DC long bed 4x4
Old 12-02-2007, 04:47 PM   #11

Quote:
i value the effort of 2wd in all reality i wish i had a DC long bed 4x4
Just cowboy up and get one, they make 'um at the store all day.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by concrete jedi View Post
Just cowboy up and get one, they make 'um at the store all day.
i can't bro, my credit sucks now and i'm broke haha, maybe next year i will tho. here's a pic of the first snow for my taco
Attached Thumbnails
Midwest winter driving-snow.jpg  
Old 12-02-2007, 04:56 PM   #13

Yeah I know, it's tough out there, just a shame, the dealers are really dealing.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:02 PM   #14

i didnt get a bad deal or anything but i didnt put any money down and i just got it in may so i'd be upside down
Old 12-02-2007, 05:12 PM   #15

Yeah, whether your in the bank or the mud, upside down sux !
Old 12-03-2007, 06:26 AM   #17
Jeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to all

Army: Sp4 in Personel Section HQ CO.
Jeff's Tacoma Gallery
MMurray, well driving a 2wheeler in the snow is one thing, ice is another. While you are safer in a 4 wheel drive, ice is a bummer no matter what your in.Just creep along is the only answer, if you can get your truck going in a straight line.
Now for the snow problem, weight in the back is good, perhaps more sandbags over the rear axle, just like your doing, also you could invest in a good set of winter tires and wheels , I realize that there is some expense, but Tire Rack and those type places can get you excellent snow tires and rims, all balanced and will ship to you. You don't need fancy rims either or perhaps go to a salvage yard and pick up some rims and have good snows put on them.
I have a 4x4 access, 06, V6, 6spd and in two wheel in the snow , its useless, but in 4wheel its does an outstanding job. Plus the standard shift allows you to control things better in my opinion, as you can use the engine as a "brake" .
Caution and a very light foot is the key in the snow.

Jeff ,06,V6,6spd, 4x4, SR5 access cab. Radiant Red
Old 12-03-2007, 06:58 AM   #18
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
You know - I never had an issue with 2WD in the snow. As a matter of fact, I have only had 1 AWD vehicle in the snow (my old Subaru). Jeff is right - care, light foot, good tires, and weight on the rear-end are key.

Cheers!
Old 12-03-2007, 07:15 AM   #19
Jeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to all

Army: Sp4 in Personel Section HQ CO.
Jeff's Tacoma Gallery
You also have to realize that the younger generation does not drive well in the dry and its worse in the winter weather and add cell phones and not paying attention, dialing in there ipods etc and what do you have, accidents. As 90% of winter accidents are caused by to excess speed. No matter how careful you are, the other guy out there has to take responsibility also.
Jeff,06,V6,4x4,SR5, Radiant Red
Old 12-03-2007, 01:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
You also have to realize that the younger generation does not drive well in the dry and its worse in the winter weather and add cell phones and not paying attention, dialing in there ipods etc and what do you have, accidents. As 90% of winter accidents are caused by to excess speed. No matter how careful you are, the other guy out there has to take responsibility also.
Jeff,06,V6,4x4,SR5, Radiant Red
hey buddy, don't be hatin'. i defy my age in knowledge and wisdom, much like a community elder